Featured 999 Underestimated, But Superb: The 999

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Bologna998, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Hi everyone :grinning:

The Ducati 999 must be one of the most underrated superbikes ever. 3 WSBK titles on the one hand, a controversial design on the other. Well, whatever, she’s mine now and that makes me very happy:

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. I totally approve of the fact you have now seen the light and the path of absolute enlightenment.

I have only one regret with the 999, and that is that they didn’t for the final year do what the did for the tamburini bikes and put the next generation engine in there.

A Terblanche with a 1098 engine and revised frame from the factory would have been a beautiful and wonderful thing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. The world is a better place, thanks to your videos.

• Like Like x 1
  4. True, that would be amazing. I wasn't even aware of that yet. I'll finally get that Cathcart book on the 999 for Christmas to read up on all those wonderful details :bucktooth:
    'tis my humble goal :innocent::D

• Like Like x 3
  5. Good video and congrats on the lovely new bike. I do agree with the Chinese vase comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  6. they kinda did that early though with the facelift 999 as didn’t power jump up at that point by 10hp? The 1098 was architecturally different so I guess it would have been a total redesign, plus would have lessened the impact of the new 1098 model

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The power increase between 1st and 2nd was on paper only due to how they switched from measuring power at the crank instead of the wheel so it was inline with the Japanese manufactures. This happened across the whole Ducati range at that time not just 749/999. Common misconception

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. True, I think the biggest update was that the Mk2 swingarm made a difference as to how you could get the power on to the road.

9. interesting! But I did in the 998 series I believe, as the 998s had basically the 999 engine? It all gets rather confusing

10. ha not that I have the ability to notice.

yea same testastretta engine. Various reiterations between base, S and R models. With shallow/deep sump. Some revisions to oil ways and upgraded Titanium internals aa well as the R models, sandcast cases and true 999 capacity. It gets confusing as these varied not only between models but also between 1st and 2nd gen machines.

11. A little info on the 999R my04 and my05

Testastretta engine almost 2 x over-square 999ccm B104 S58.8

12.3 :1
    139hp @ 10.5k
    108Nm @ 8k

12.45:1
    150hp @ 9750
    119Nm @ 8k
    Improvements -> New pistons / gas flowing / injectors / front and rear suspension changes
    Inlet 42 from 40
    Outlet 34 from 33
    All minor changes to improve combustion and outflow

Loved the 999r rider position - tucked in with the narrow rear of the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The 999 is - hand's down - a driver's superbike compared to the picture-perfect 748/916/996/998 examples.

To my mind however, it is doubtful whether the terms 'futuristic' and 'controversial' - which were widely used by both media and marketing back in 999's heyday to nurture expectations as to its potential as a future classic - can be used today, particularly as the 999's design never became relevant to this very day. Arguably the 1098 and 1199 (which were both designed by Giandrea Fabbro whilst still being Pierre Terblanche's junior) remain the true descendants of Tamburini's arguably unsurpassed 916 design legacy.

#12 Nick_996, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Thank you for another passionate video @Bologna998 and I am sure you will fully enjoy this new addition to your Rosso garage.

• Like Like x 1

14. I beg to differ.

The design of some of today's coolest bikes (MV Agusta Superveloce, BMW r nine T racer S) reminds of Terblanche's original drawings for the 999 , as you probably know he originally wanted a single front light but that wouldn't get approval for the US market - that was over 20 years ago. Ducati reverted to a more "classic" 916-family design with the 1098 because of poor sales of the 999, which was attributed mainly to the aesthetics of the bike (not certainly its performance on track or on the road). You are right that the lineage of Ducati's sportsbikes after the 999 goes back directly to the 916 but that was done in order to appeal to more traditional old-style ducatisti who did not like the "controversial" look of the 999. Point is that sometimes bikes are ahead of their times but for various reasons do not sell well and get the chop, for instance the Sport Classic 1000 just to stay with Ducati.

I do think the the design of the 999 in 2002-2003 was quite futuristic. As was the design of some of Terblanche's subsequent production, for instance the concept bikes he did for Guzzi in 2009-2010. I saw them in the flesh at EICMA 2010. Jaw dropping.

9926.jpg
    MAJPGQ5JWAA3DH4VHULYNLOJOU.jpg

#14 Gazdoc, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Was never a real fan of the tambourine bikes, even less so the 1098 apology bikes. Hideous bastardbitch bikes that tried to appease the old fart ducatsta, but with messed Japanese styling. Neither 916 all the way to the 1198 have aged as well as the 749/999 in my opinion. But then again I’m very biased with excellent taste

IMG_8598.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. I've owned several Ducati's over the years including my current 916 bip, all special machines IMO but i still have a hankering for the 999S Mono i misguidedly chopped for a RSV4 :eek:...and just for the record the Yella ones look way better!!

DSC_0947.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. I love the "very biased with excellent taste"

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. I had mine for 18 years, I sold it because it wasn't getting a run out and started getting unreliable, probably from lack of use.
    I love them, you can ride them all day, The Multistrada took over in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  19. There's only one bike I'd trade my 999R for and that's a D16RR. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Same here . Only other Ducati that excites me and hope to own one one day.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information