1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My St2 Leggera Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Brubache, Jun 14, 2014.

1. I hope that being part of the commonwealth makes it ok to still post a project here :)

Last year I purchased a 2000 St2 with 6300 miles and a story. It came to Canada via the US and was stolen early in its life and written off. I rode it all summer and fall doing mods and upgrades and generally enjoying the bike. ST's are crap from the factory. Period. The fueling is completely messed up, so I added a DP Chip, opened up the airbox and that helped resolve most of the issues. Late fall I was doing a service on her and took it for a spin without the fairings. It was a bit of a revelation for me. I enjoyed the lightness and how quickly it wanted to drop into corners and thought... hmm naked bike.

This being my first real project I simply took it one step at a time. The ST has tonnes of junk to hide. It was a real challenge to get it all tucked away nicely and most importantly neatly. Here is the before:

[​IMG]

This was the fateful day I rode it naked:
    [​IMG]

2. Next up was de emission. I removed emissions gear and cleaned up all of that. Then I discovered my wiring harness was completely corroded and damaged. In order to clean up the wiring (which is a mess on an ST) I knew it was going to take some work. After discovering the damage I decided to tackle making a new harness. I had intended on using the original dash but decided a Digital Koso unit would be more fitting especially if I was making a new harness anyway.

After emissions removal
    [​IMG]ST2 Leggera Project by Brubache, on Flickr

Gotta do something about that batter :)

Picked up a set of Rizoma bar end mirrors and the battery removed. Fabricated some hangers for the mufflers.

Purchased a Monster 620 upper yoke and a Renthal Bar. Fabricated a nasty fender eliminator

3. just needs some netting on the tank now...

4. You built a monster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Many might ask... why bother with an ST2? Frankly? its what I had! I cannot afford more than one bike, and well when I discovered my damage in the wiring it really made me want to try this. Plus... everything is completely reversible and could be returned to stock. And hey.. yes I know there are monsters.. and streetfighers.. but the ST2 grunt and wheel base make for a great fun platform especially when its 60-70lbs lighter than stock :)

Stripped for wiring

Relocated coils, rectifier, air sensor, temp sensor

Getting a feeling for it. Found a used DP Open exhaust. FUN!

6. Added some classid Ducati lettering

Getting it back together after building the wiring harness. WHEW it works and fired up no problems!

8 Cell lithium battery and overflow bottle under the tank.

I got nervous about the overflow sitting under that tank and decided it would be awesome moved to the tail. I mangled the fender eliminator in this pic... opps.

Fits nicely and neatly away

7. More details to tackle. As I ride her now every day it is a process that will take time and will go slow, but it is progress never the less.

Ceramic coated the headers on a weekend.

Slimmed down the rear hugger

Getting better! Not so happy with the instrument position now. Want to move that.

Fabricated new bracket and moved the Koso up higher on the tripple. Much better.

Yup better location for sure!

8. Finally found a set of Rizoma tanks I could afford. Nice and clean now!

And thats where she sits today. I am now working on some visual fixes to lighten up the tail a bit. Because I have not tampered with the rear it looks a tad heavy in the back. I have some ideas about what to do so thats next up on the agenda.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment slag or otherwise. I know many will say, just get a monster. You miss the point. Monster does not have these ergos, or watercooled 2v motor. Now that it weighs closer to 400lbs it absolutely is a rip roaring blast to ride. Lastly... everyone has a monster :) This was and is much more fun to build and play with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Interesting LED headlamp unit, tell me more.

Is it much better? What size is it I could do with something for my Guzzi

John

10. nice job need to radicalize the exhaust and sort outs its fat ass but nice front end

11. Need to tidy that l/h switch wiring.

Looking good.

12. nice work!

13. nice work discreet mods,shorter exhausts and seat are a must.

14. The stock light is so bad that anything is an improvement. Its great for being seen with. There are definitely better higher end units if you actually ride at night. So.. I would say its OK but not super. That said it was cheap.

15. Thanks gents. Yup lots of details etc to go!

Shorter exhaust would be great, I agree! Seat... oh yes... Lots of things I am thinking about there. I want to not hack up the rear subframe as it is the easy solution. Want to figure it out. It will come just slowly I suspect!

16. Cracking project, I like it a lot!

17. yes list all you parts so i can do it to my mutli:upyeah:
    rear end i like the sports classic look

headlights nice show us it turned on

18. I know you don't want to, but that subframe is begging for an angle grinder! Nice work though, I like it when thought goes into a project :)

19. Ya I know.. but I think people to quickly go the the "cut it" phase before exploiting what can actually be done if you think about it. But I do know how tempting a 848 tank, seat and tail chop would be :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information