1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098R- A good investment.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by abmatt2002, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Sat waiting while my 848 gets its service and I keep looking at a 1098R that's for sale.

now obviously it's a massive jump up from what I have. Part of me really wants to go for it, part of me it scared to death that I'd spank it it. It would be a massive outlay and I'd have to try and keep as much value in it as possible, restricting the miles I put on it. I don't really ride on the roads now anyway.

But, the question is, where do people see the value of these going? This would have to be a keeper so in time would we see prices rising, or is the 1098R not 'special' enough for that to happen and they will just depreciate slower than other models.

i can handle it being sat in the garage, taken out on nice summer days (if we ever get any) because I'll own one special bike. But would this be silly as in the end it could just be sat there losing value and I'd be better of riding it.

thoughts?

matt

2. They seem to have been in free fall for over 12 months, I think the cheapest one I have seen was £12.5k, would one be a wise investment? Nah. If you want an investment I do believe wine is the way forward at the moment.

Id be spewing if I had spent 1098R money and just left it sat in a garage.

3. Bikes are for riding. If you want an investment put your money in the bank. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yep. Bikes are for riding. I think to have it, lovely though it is, for it so be sat in the garage waiting for the odd, sunny day would be a waste. If I had the abundance of cash to be able to do this the paperwork would be signed already!

id be owning one special bike that I'd be worried about putting so many miles on it that I destroy the value! I love just being able to go out on mine without having to think about it. Just get out and enjoy it!

mind made up I think?... Enjoy what I have and make the most of it!

matt

5. Unless its still here in Feb:wink:

6. Don't buy bikes for investment, you will end up disappointed!

I have just lost 2k on a new bike in just over a year of ownership but it doesn't bother me, cars and bikes cost money, that's life, ride and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think one has to consider it a better investment rather than a good investment. I suspect will have a good residual over the same money spent on a Jap or std Pani.

Personally I think there're a good buy at the moment. Old out going model, possibly the last of the trellis/under seat zorst bikes.
    I'd have one over a Pani...:biggrin:

8. And which bank is that!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nigerian ones are good I believe :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Are you at Moto Rapido?

11. Was, not long got back to a wet larkhill!

12. I was over that way an hour ago too...bet you did get wet!

13. I would guess as with previous R models, they'll settle at around 10K at some point but that may be a year or two away yet

14. wet in Bulford too buddy:wink:

15. Wet everywhere! Another dreary Christmas!

glad I've got a van now so I don't have to ride the bike everywhere!

16. Wet in Salisbury to - I am supposed to go to Newbury tomorrow with no 2 son to do part one of test

I think I'll take the car

17. Good idea. Hope it's not too wet for him.

18. As with a lot a of things in life, it comes down to the timing. I remember not so long ago when you could buy a nice Jota or MHR for about 4K. Try that now. I think the 1098R will undoubtedly become a sought after classic if only because it will have the mantle "last of the rubber band madness".

What's the bottom of the market going to be on a nice one of those in 5-10 years time? 7-10K? I'd hazard a little more.....

If it's still there at the end of Jan/Feb offer half silly cash, you might get lucky.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information