1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r And Bayliss Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015.

1. I think you would need a comprehensive breakdown of why and what was replaced including pictures before proceeding with a purchase.

2. PM @El Toro he knows them DMC guy's, part of Ducati Manchester I think. Get him to do some bartering for you - he's particularly good (tight) :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks for the pm's gents.

It had a rebuild because they say it had a problem with 2 gears . The gearbox was replaced as that was cheaper than doing separate gears.
    it would come with a full itemised list of rebuild even though it was done in house
    No mention of a quick shifter.
    It does come with all the paperwork ,disc, letter from Ducati and 4 posters of the bike signed by their racers of the time which I didn't know.
    It has the full system as advertised and also the front original system but not the original standard cans . Ive asked if he could try the original owner but that drew a blank.
    The rest of the bike condition wise is pretty much unmarked.
    I would prefer to buy from a private buyer actually , I feel actually more trustworthy for some reason over a dealer who is there to make money only. Owners of these are ......... in to what the bike is if that makes sense.

Unsure about this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Okay, that last little bit of info rings a bell. This will be 1 of the 100 bikes pre registered by Ducati UK (Silverstone) in 2008 to qualify for BSB. Having the little extras doesn't add value but is nice. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mine is one of those bikes. It has the same reg prefix as this bike "KX08". The 1st real owner exported it to Jersey and registered it there when he bought it from Pro Twins as one of the pre-registered bikes. I brought it back in, and I'm the 2nd UK owner on the V5 and Ducati UK were the 1st.

Funnily enough. The previous owner had a NOVA gearbox fitted by JHP as 3rd became notchy and decided against replacing the standard gearbox for the same item given some have had issues and it's an upgrade I'm happy to have, although the engine has never been rebuilt.

$_86.jpeg

IMG_4700.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  6. slashcut termi's look great on the 1198/1098 bikes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Not on list for 1098r ownership boys!

8. +1
    Still have the letter from Ducati etc and first reg by Ducati 'thanking' you for helping allow them to go racing through their pre-reg for homologation purposes. May not be worth a huge amount, but it is a nice confirmation of the bikes provenance as time goes by.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Me too. :)

Certificate1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. :thumbsup:
    You should also have a letter addressed to the original buyer, signed by Tim Maccabee that discusses the need to pre-register the bike to Ducati UK, and the various freebies they gave out including hospitality etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well I pulled out of the possible purchase of the R today . I'm ok with the bike but after speaking to several of you guys via pm,s I think it's a bit over priced . They stuck to their asking price of £17£ less a fiver. I was in two minds about letting my hyperstrada go in px but they offered only £5k for it and in truth I love that and if over got any sort of miles todo that's the one I do it on. If they drop a little then I'd step back in so the balls in their court.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disappointing I'm sure but absolutely the right thing to do if the deal isn't what you want. Plus side is you still have the RC30 as an option. Nice position to be in :). Andy

13. Well , if im honest the position im in is a little mid life crisis !!
    Have you ever got to the point where you think you fancy something a little ' more ' in your life ? That's me at the minute . it'll push me to afford it i'll make no excuse about it.
    This year I fancy doing something. One of 3 things, take my Hyper abroad to ...dunno, Spain and ride back through France , Do some more racing after 15 years away from it or buy an exotic bike like the above 2.
    Mid life crisis alert !!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. I have one every year :Angelic:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bit of a random (and possibly stupid) question here, how differently do people feel their R's handle to other bikes? I'm sure the suspension on mine needs new oil and setting up as it doesn't feel like it wants to be leant over comfortably compared to my K5 GSX-R1000, the front just seems a bit vague. Tyres are brand new Rosso Corsas and I'm pretty definite the suspension is in need of a refresh as said Suzuki felt fine on the same rubber.

Another question, how much am I looking at for a belt service? Owned it for coming up 2 years now and being it's an R it is the only bike I'll pay to have serviced (that and I lack the technical know how for belts!). Looking forward to getting back out on it over the summer :)

16. IMG_0031.JPG Yeah, absolutely terrible handling...I had to resort to this to get mine to handle...

IMG_0095.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Now that's just showing off ;)

• Agree Agree x 2

18. Yeah....a bit!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information