1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098r - - - On Speedo

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RickyX, Apr 13, 2017.

1. A couple of times this week I have noticed that my speedo intermittently showed " - - -" instead of the speed.
    First time I was going "quite fast" and thought the bike just got confused.
    This morning, when pulling out of my drive at about 20mph it did it again.
    No discernible change in performance or misfires or error codes or warning lights or anything.
    Is it related to the wheel speed sensor?
    Any ideas?

2. The first one is 'thats it ma boy' the second is 'meh, not worth showing'

Its Italian encouragement

HTH :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Or both times were the latter :Finger:

• Like Like x 1
  4. when you say "quite fast"... are we talking "warp speed"... not sure if the dashes can cope with 4 digit speeds.... agree with @bradders on the second :) don't recall ever seeing 20 on my Ducatis :grin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. I thought it showed "---" when they hit a certain speed to stop people attempting to hit top speed. It's 300kph (186mph) on this Desmo. So you've either come out of your driveway at a fair old rate of knots :Wideyed:, or you may have a faulty sensor. :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. No personal experience (yet) but my logic would put the first port of call on the speed sensor and or the wiring. Without a specific pick up ring for the sensor similar to the more recent systems, I can certainly see the potential for unreliability. Have you tried to clean the sensor face ? Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Yeah pull the sensor out and look at the surface, if it's deeply grooved etc it may be wrecked, could also be pinched wires from fitting something a little too tightly. Bet you've not had it over 20 :tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
  8. sensor

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I will take a look at it later.
    Thanks for the helpful feedback.

10. Having said that....Whenever mine has failed it throws and error upon the dash.
    But tbh the canbus isn't the most reliable.

11. If that's true then what a load of old shit.

Apart from anything else, who decides that 300kmh is acceptable but above that not so?

Of course it could be because the bike isn't actually as fast as claimed so by not showing the big numbers, owners don't actually find out...

12. A lot of manufacturers do it. Here's an R1 that stops at 299kph. A Fireblade that does the same. A Panigale that shows "---"

13. I believe it, I just think it's namby-pambyism. You can buy a 200mph bike but can't know how fast you're going, how stupid is that?

Still, I suppose it's better than having a speed limiter set at that speed...

14. Cleaned both front and rear speed sensors as suggested...
    Went for ride...same. Three dashes appeared twice, no coughing or anything untoward.
    First happened as I exited my drive immediately when I pulled away.
    Strange.
    Any ideas?

15. The front sensor is for the Traction Control. The speed displayed on the dash comes from the rear wheel.

I seem to remember that they are one and the same, so you could try switching them to see if you get the same result.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Yep, I've just checked and they are the same part number. Item 35 on the front wheel and item 34 on the rear wheel.

Part 552.4.037.2E

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 18.45.48.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 18.45.52.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 18.45.55.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 18.45.59.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Could it be a broken wire?

I had the same after bleeding the back brake. Never realised that I'd routed the wire in behind the disk(duh). It started throwing up errors before I realised and worked its way through the sheathing and onto the bare wire.

18. I haven't touched the rear brake, only been there to clean chain etc.
    I did however put new pads, hoses, master cylinder and kill switch on the front.
    As @Robarano says though, the front sensor is just for the DTC and not for speedo readout.

19. Just thought I'd add my recent experience to this post as it is related in a way, but unfortunately doesn't help the op's problem, at a guess I'd say it was an ECU problem not sensor.
    Anyway this is my experience I went for a ride the other day and my speedo started playing up in that it was jumping from a steady 60 (all MPH) ease off the throttle and it would momentarily jump to 116 then 94 and then steady itself back at 58 (ish) actual speed, then for no reason it sometimes jumped up to silly speeds while doing 30, then later the amber waning light came on and off throughout the day, as there was no problem with the running of the bike (by the way it's an 848) I continued my ride later the amber warning light stopped and stayed off but the speedo still kept fluctuating, today I tightened up the chain as it was a bit slack and give the rear speed sensor a clean with WD40 and took it out for a quick spin, and all is well no odd speedo reading just actual correct speed.
    This may help someone if they encounter the same symptoms as me.
    Guvs.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Mine also jumped about erratically like you describe a couple of times, now you mention it.
    No amber light though (yet).
    I plan to swap the sensors front/rear at some point as I reckon it's sensor related.
    In the meantime, I shall continue to rag it!

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information