1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Rear Light Not Working

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pavey, Dec 21, 2016.

1. My running light has gone, brake light is ok. Is there a connector that maybe has come loose? I believe it is an led back there not a traditional bulb (as can't find any bulbs online) so does it mean the whole unit needs replacing?

Thanks!

2. There's one under the seat

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The connector is the same one for the tail and brake lights, so it couldn't have come apart if the brake light is still working.

I'd start off checking fuses and then get a multimeter on the connector.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. You'll have 3 connectors like in the picture below. The indicators are marked 'DX' and 'SX' iirc. The the 3rd one will be your brake / tail light connector.

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 17.59.36.png

• Love You Love You x 1
  5. The indicators are the singles hanging down in the above picture. The rear and brake and earth are all in the 3 pin connector facing rearward. I am sure that secondhand lights are easy to get, I have a spare here and so does everyone who has fitted a TST tail light. There are also many cheap copies on ebay from China.

6. Had a fiddle and got it working, was down to dodgy mechanics in the end (i fitted a Brakers kit so my wiring was slightly different - one of the connectors i added had come loose internally).
    The rear light is now working but I did notice the brake light only comes on with the front brake action, not the rear.

That's not right is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Nope and it's an MOT fail to boot :(

8. As @Tobytyke said errrrr No!!!

So if its only coming on with the front then its probably something to do with connector or brake light switch at the rear brake

Looks like they both get power from fuse #3, so its not that

Red/Blue is the power
    Green/Red the signal to the lamp

This is from a 1098 diagram but sure it will be the same

I'd check you have power at the connector and then test the switch is working and obviously clean any connectors that are dirty

Good Luck

John

9. Amazing how quickly you forget Bob. I only wired mine back up last year.

Is the 3rd tail for the number plate light then? That would make sense.

10. I had a look this morning while at the lights and it does come on with the rear, yet last night in the garage with the engine off it didn't.

Oh well, all is well. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information