1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198sp

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ash34, Oct 24, 2016.

1. The R has Ti rods and different heads/valvetrain IIRC :Bookworm:

2. don't know about the 1198 R, but 1098 R easily pulls 200hp. 1198 probably 170 wish at a guess

3. yup, full race system as well as standard cans with mine

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. None of this thread is putting me off [emoji56]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. There are quite few differences between the "SP" and the "R". (I have some spare time on my hands...)

Firstly, the "R" was a limited production run to homologate the bike for WSBK, the SP was not - it's was a "Sports Production" bike and their last large cc trellis framed, ssa, belt driven sports bike. 1373 "R" bikes were produced, this I assume excludes the Bayliss Specials. The "SP" production number was 1254.

Taking the UK for an example, when the "R" was first released in 2008, 103 units were registered (37 registered and 55 SORN at present) and the "SP" in 2011 having 64 units registered, (39 registered and 23 SORN at present). interesting reading that..!

The spec for the two bikes:

The "R" / "SP"

Capacity - 1198.4cc / 1198.4cc
    bore/stroke - 106x67.9 / 106x67.9
    compression - 12.8:1 / 12.7:1
    HP - 180hp (9750rpm) / 170hp (9750rpm)
    Torque - 98.8ft/lb (7750rpm) / 96.9ft/lb (8000rpm)
    weight - 169kg (dry) / 169kg (Dry)
    f.sus - Ohlins TIO 43mm / Ohlins TIO 43mm
    r.sus - Ohlins TTXR / Ohlins TTXR
    f.cal - Brembo M4 / Brembo M4
    f. Disc - 330mm steel / 330mm steel
    Clutch - slipper / Slipper
    QS - no (edit) * / yes
    TC - yes / yes
    fuel cap. - 15.5lts / 18lts

The "R" has sandcast cylinder heads and crankcases, ti crankshaft and chrome nitride coated valves. This plus a few other tweaks give it more power. The trellis main frame is also slightly different in it's production (narrower guage and lighter) with the rear subframe being very different and significantly lighter on the "R". Both bikes use magnesium on a number of covers and casings, as well as the headlight bracket.

There are also some aesthetic differences, mainly the carbon rear seat unit and belly pan on the "R", different wheels (forged alu, but not sure if they're lighter than the "SP").

The "R" also came with a 70mm exhaust and DP ECU, along with a stand and dust cover - the SP didn't.

The "R" is clearly a bike much much closer to the race production bike, but the SP is not that far away.

* R does not have a QS as standard. oops!

#26 Bullitt, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  6. R doesn't have QS.

7. Mine does :)

8. So does mine.
    I meant it doesn't have one as standard.

9. I thought the R did have a QS as standard, like the SP, and people junked them because (exactly like the SP) they wreck gearboxes

10. Dunno.
    Mine has a HM one.

11. I know :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Aye, that was a typo... R has no QS as standard.... must drink less whiskey...!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Very informative, cheers! Strange, i can only see 4 1198R's [Corse] in the UK, 2 on SORN, and 2 registered, are you including 1098R's?
    So, the SP would be a nice bike to tuck away?

14. Probably the rarest modern Ducati there is.

15. Yes, there are. See my notes above for an idea.

16. Doh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sorry only just noticed post, I'd be looking for a 1098r, with low miles. Or a spare set of sandcast crankcases, I think the traction is the same on the sp, I never used it as the power was so predictable. The s/r/sp ohlins suspension was good enough standard for me. Radiators crack at mounting brackets, and gearboxes do start finding neutrals, buy a Nova ££ obviously an sp/s your looking at 170hp at rear wheel R (sure there's a few people can help) and R has the titanium valves and rods.
    I have a zx10r 2011 exMSS available in April with traction that works, Nova box and recently refreshed engine. Already been sold once but decided to keep for Spain to see if I can get into 1'30's at Almeria.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information