1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Trackday Tyres. What Do People Prefer....

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Lyndon, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Gonna try for plenty of track days next summer after some winter saving so will try the sc's in Cartagena and then maybe the slicks throughout summer and see how they feel

• Like Like x 1
  2. Edit: it's the new conti slicks I meant are having rave reviews. £100 set less than Pirelli and pros like them. That's what I'm trying next year

• Like Like x 1
  3. Which Dunlops are you using? They sound great!

4. Kr106 front and Kr108 rear slicks. The GP211 and 212 are supposed to be really good as well. The only thing worth mentioning is they are more sensitive to pressure/temp than the Pirelli. You have to get the Dunlop about right for good grip whereas the Pirelli will still work well if a psi or two out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dave, what time are your races at the weekend I may Pop down to watch a bit of the action, only down the road in Cambridge

6. One thing be aware of, as more race orientated a tyre the more sensible to heat cycles, correct pressure and right compound for the conditions.
    Also slicks require a very fast rider to be able to keep them up to temperature.
    In my humble opinion one must ride be under 54sec/lap at Brands Indy to keep the Dunlop 212gppro within the right temperature.
    Never had SC but would assume they are more and less the same as above?
    Tried SP as oem fittment on my bike.....quick warm up and lasted 2 track days, certainly not a race tyre but should be more than enough for mid-top laps in the fast group.

7. Lots of people in inters run slicks, especially the comp K or pro super bike ones :)

Dunlop tho, let them go cold and welcome to A&E!!

#28 bradders, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. IME BTW LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. SP is a road tyre, SC is a race tyre. As Royal stated the Pirellis can take a couple of psi without being destroyed or dangerous.

10. IMG_4179.JPG
    I've been running the SP and got on great in Spain and a few days back over here but starting to feel them going a little bit especially after a bit of wear so may move to the SC compound next, just running at inters pace but in top quarter i guess.

Getting some cold/hot tear but think the track temp was so cold it didn't help after being in warmers

11. Could be suspension related that, if its your tyre, the tearing is in waves. Check out Dave Moss (if you haven't) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I was mid 54's on my 899 on Rosso corsas and I doubt I'd go for slicks. I wouldn't class myself as quick enough at all to warrant it.

I might give those metzeller racetech rrs a go on the 1299 after I've ruined my supercorsas....

13. Ok thanks, has been fine up until that last day at Snetterton tho

14. Just put some K3's on mine. Not had a chance to abuse them yet. Also have some Racetec RR slicks to try out at Cartegena in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I was fairly shocked with the 899 the difference between the factory fitted Diablo Rosso corsas and the aftermarket set I got fitted.

Honestly they felt completely different to me when pushing on

16. Yeah I think you're right - that looks like a zig-zag shaped tear pattern.

17. New tyres always feel better though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hmmm I think it was more than that but happy to be proved wrong

19. I would say the wear is not because you had SP tyre.
    Why not going straight to slicks? even better feel as you do not have the grooves therefore will be less vibration and if I am not wrong the tyre carcass is slightly different.
    Althoug they will require more fettling with suspension and so on. But than these are the fun things about track days if you take it seriously and have the time, patience and plenty of ££££. :)
    As bradders wrote a lot of the guys are running slicks. Guess you could buy some proper road tyres for use in between seasons?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information