1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 1299s Vs 1199r 2013

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by GreenOn, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Trying to decide which way to go for my next track bike, not ridden either so not much to go on for now, both are similar money. Does anyone on here have any experience of both bikes as a track bike, any feedback will be great fully received.

Hoping to get test rides on both bikes over the next couple of days, depending on weather and when the shops close for the holidays, not an ideal time to be riding either bike I know.

Thanks in advance.

2. Not sure..

I'd have thought the R? I'm sure someone will be along with experience of both.

@royalwithcream

3. The R's are bat shit crazy in a good way compared to the S so I would say make the decision on your riding style and mentality. The 1299S is probably easier to ride fast around a track but in a more heavy lazy torque sort of way.
    Mine is the new R which is supposed to be fairly different to the old one so I can't comment with too much authority. From what I have heard they have done similar to the 1199S/1299S in that they have made the new model better and more useable at the limit.
    I've never had an issue with the 1199S being wayward; I pretty much learnt to ride on it, but some seem to think it is. I just think it needs getting used to and riding in a nice loose style. I guess those are the same people that think the early 1199R is also a nutcase and hard to handle. Getting my suspension sorted made a huge difference on the R whereas the S felt like it was rideable whatever I did with the setup. The light weight makes the R very sensitive to setting changes.
    I prefer the smaller engine displacement of the 1199 as for me it's all about light weight race bike feeling but they've done such a good job with the 1299S that it would be a very hard choice. The 1199R really does feel like a race bike, I've not been on anything that comes close and I can't see the earlier R being much different if you can deal with it possibly being a bit difficult at the limits. The way they rev is absolutely incredible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Hi Dave - I assume you are thinking of swapping the RSV4? I know all the press rave about the Aprilia but I was actually quicker on the PaniR buy a country mile. A lot of the stability issues can be sorted by suspension and pivot point set up. Dont quote me 100% but I'm pretty sure the lowest setting on the rear pivot point on the R is the same as the 1299S position which was quoted as the reason for calming the whole thing down.

5. Hello Simon,
    Good to hear from you, thanks for the input, I may look at keeping the RSV4 seeing as it doesn't stand me in loads of money now, and get a Panigale to go alongside it, we shall see. I have a 1098S now, which feels like I have gone back in time when riding it, still great though, have to pull the clutch in to change gear, what's that all about. I am trying to get out on both the Panigales I mentioned over the next couple of days, weather depending.

If you are looking at doing a Euro event next year, I can recommend Mugello in August with FE, I am already booked on with a few guys from down this way, Tuscany in August, what is not too like, and you can take the good lady. :sunglasses: :italy:

6. Thanks for the feedback Royal, obviously the R model I am looking at is the older version with the same electronic suspension as the S, so hopefully would not take a lot of setting up, because I am no suspension expert, I am old school, get on, just ride it, been riding 40 years next year, where did they go. Every one has different experiences and expectations, I was with a guy at Mugello this year and he couldn't wait to get rid of his 1299S after crashing it twice and was going to go back to an 1199S for next year.

Sounds like both bikes I am interested in have certain different qualities that appeal, as you say looks like I have a hard choice too make, thanks once again, might see you at Mugello next year, if you liked Portimao, you will love Mugello, and the weather will be better. :sunglasses: :italy:

7. No electronic sussies on any of the R models mate, it's all manual stuff.
    I'm itching to get to Mugello, definitely the trip I am most looking forward to next year :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mk1 r has leccky Ohlins Royals

9. I didn't realise that until now. I always thought it had similar to the newer one.

10. Come on Cabbage Hat, get with the program. :grinning:

11. The 1299 for the electronics. Its a big step forward.

12. So busy being your hero that I didn't have time to stay up to date :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. 1299s instead of the 2013R would be my way to go, if you went for the 2014R then now your talking.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information