1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 190/55 Rear Tyre

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by slovenc, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Hi!

I have a chance to get a new 190/55 rear tyre for a really good price, but how do they feel compared to the 180/55 on the 848?
    Thanks!

2. Wouldn't bother tbh. Quite a lot flatter than a 180/55. :)

3. you wont notice the difference
    enjoy your bargain

4. huh, this is contradicting and I'd rather pay more to have a good ride:)

5. It's one of the reasons many swapped to a 180 on a 996. You could go crazy and get a 180/60 ;)

6. Your speedo will slightly under read as the 190 is 1/2" taller than the 180. Andy

7. So its probably best, to keep it safe and stick with what the engineers decided was best, I love how bike handles with the 180, don't wanna mess with that. Also read somewhere that the rim is slimmer on the 848 than 1098.

8. Don't know about the rim (I did think it was like the 916 so takes a 190 ok) but the hub is.

9. Its suppose to be a 6" on the 1098 vs 5.5" on the 848...

10. yep... 1098 runs a 6" rim, 848 on a 5.5". Stick with the 180. It'll work better and the profile will stay as it was meant to.

11. I ran 2 190/55 rears on my 848. Felt fine and I had it on track etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. wider is not always better, a wider tyre on the smaller rim will slightly distort the tyre, making the general curve on the tyre steeper,

if it were me id stick to factory standard sizes.

13. Decided on 180/55, better to be safe than sorry:) thanks!

14. to be fair most average riders like i presume you and definatly me. wouldnt notice or feel the difference between the two,

but without a doubt a rim suze is the rim size for a reason [emoji106][emoji106]

15. Just to play devils advocate then....my rsv4 (late 2009) shipped with a 190 section but for the last 3 years theyve shipped with a 200 section....the bike is near as dammit from a physical point of view, the same, wheelbase, weight etc etc...so, what would you do? not an argument or anything like that - just wondering what all your views are?

16. if changes were made factory, i would research why,

do they setup suspension different?
    dud the 200 end up being deemed a better tyre?

was anything changed on the model for this adjustment to be done.

did the tyre brand change. and the 200 version seated well and curve came up the same as the 190

different tyres have different turn in speeds. (curves)

17. ok - in order

1. Theres been loads of evolutionary changes (ive not kept track of them all though)
    2. Suspension is subjective....mines got a modified rebuild on the ohlins forks and a Nitron race pro on the rear.
    3. Not sure.
    4. Theyve always shipped with supercorsa's i believe.
    5. Most of the lads say on the af1 forum that "youll never find the edge with a 200 section"

ive got a 190 on the rear of mine at the moment but ill probably try a 200 section next just to see what its like...ive said this before....i tend not to take any noticed of tyre reviews now as i never, ever get the mileage quoted and the last set of tyres i bought on a review were shit. So far the best tyre ive tried for the money so far is the michelin pr2 (currently loaded onto the hyper). Supercorsa is the best tyre iver used so until something knocks that off its perch theyll always go on the RSV4.

#17 comfysofa, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  18. me myself usually would leave it standard. sounds to me like some people change the tyre for the benefits a larger tyre gives. but there will be negatives. as discussed before.

do you have 0 or like0.5mm chicken strips on your 190? if not. why do you feel you need the 200?

a 190 tyre will have better turn in to a corner. unless you compared the flattest 190 to the steepest 200

19. to be fair, im only passing on what ive read or been advised. each to thier own

20. the 190 is pretty well on the edge but i suppose from a safety point of view id always like a bit spare...i will say that the last set i had on there got used more as it were this set ive ended up riding it more on long runs and less in twisty stuff. At the end of the day if i try a 200 and it "feels better" thats all im really interested in....i did have a 200 section on the rear of my z1000 which felt better also...(in the corners) and gave me a bit more ground clearance...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information