1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 Half-faired: Exhaust Header/downpipe Treatment Options

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Hi Guys
    Back to my new half-faired rebuild project, and thinking around some options for the exhaust headers and downpipes:
    My friend that I bought it off had had them all vapour basted, so they're ready for some treatment, or not. They're in sound condition, no sign of rust or damage. Question is, do I leave them as they are and allow them to discolour naturally, or paint them, if so, what colour? It's a 92 half-faired, white frame black wheels. My mate said the pipes were black originally, so could redo them in black VHT, or maybe a silver, or perhaps a darkish gunmetal (mmmmm....). I'm aiming mainly for an original look for the bike overall, but with possibly a little deviation.
    Opinions gratefully received!
    Ta

2. The front downpipe gets all the grit, stones and dirt thrown up at it, I cant see any paint looking great after a few hundred miles.

3. If you're going for originality, why not just polish them? they're stainless after all.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I polished mine they are still good 2 years later.

5. paint does not stay on.

6. I use a fine grade wet and dry then Asda metal polish ( same as Solvol but cheaper ) on a Scottish brite pad then more metal polish on a soft rag.
    Dirty business but works well.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. It depends on which one you use and whether the instructions are followed to the letter.

Out of the low cost ones, Hycote VHT will come off easily and it isn't solvent resistant - Simoniz Sperex is better, which is what I used.

If you go down that route, do not polish the pipes, get them fine sand blasted.

8. Thanks guys, polish it is... :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information