1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 41t Or 43t Sprocket Experience?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by yets, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Hi, it's been a while since I posted...

Just a really simple one; has anybody had real world experience with either of these sprockets combinations? Most talk of sprockets on these forums is about chain size and wear etc, just wanted to know peoples thoughts really. All my riding is on the road but hopes to do a track day in the future...

2. I have had a 43 on my 749 since as long as I can remember. Instantly felt punchier and rides so much nicer around town.

3. Cheers Pavey, ever reached to end?

There can't be only one person who has this config...?

4. I've just changed to 15/41 on my 999 and its a big improvement over the stock 15/36.
    Changing gear more often, but much less clutch feathering trying to pull away cleanly and much more punchy out of corners.
    Still plenty of top end speed, certainly enough to end up in prison if on her majesty's fine roads ;-)
    Combined with the Sigma slipper it's great fun :)

Deaks

5. Thanks Deaks,

Just trying to decide to go 41 or 43

6. On my 749 I had 14/41 and it transformed the bike, recommended. Just check the front sprocket as on a 749 it is likely to be a 14t and will change what you want for the rear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 14/39 on 749R. Lovely!

8. I'm running 14 41 on my 749s race bike. I find the power is really around the 8.5 / 9 mark and its working well but may try a 42 next. Tried 14 / 40 and that was far too tall. 14 / 41 so far but it's early days yet.

9. I have a 14/39 ready to go on my R. I know the R was 15 front due to the increased torque and was told a 14 puts way to much stress on the chain due to a smaller radius. But if you are running it on a R and had no probs then I might swop it out

10. I put 15f 42r on my 749s. I was intending to go 43r but was restricted by what sprockets were available for my carrier.
    I was very happy with the changed ratios, faster acceleration and would still pull to limiter in top.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have 14/39 520 chain on my 916SPS too. That has more torque than the baby R. Been running that combo for over 10 years with absolutely no problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I went the 43 tooth route and it made a big difference. Check out the gearing guide on Avanti Race Parts. You will need a longer chain by about 5 links over the standard

#12 Duke of Stow, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  13. I have 525 chain, so if you have had no probs with a 520, esp on your SPS, then I think I will swop out

14. Hi, so my bike is due back tomorrow and my trusty mechanic has put on a 42t sprocket. When researching it was explained to avoid an even number on the back as it could cause extra wear and vibration on the chain. Is this true? Should I be remotely bothered? It's not like I'm racing.

15. Where would I get a 42t and how much longer was the chain ?

16. I'm not entirely sure as my excellent mechanic sourced it but I would expect there are many online shops that would sell them

In the case of the chain length I think it's now a 525 as opposed to the stock 39t and 520 chain.

I went for a ride with the new 42t sprocket and it feels like a new bike! The pick up is great and it's even more fun now. I looked at gearing commander and it looks like I'll be getting a lot of wear.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm running a 14 / 42 on on 749s although it is a race bike. I did lengthen the chain / bought a new one to accommodate this as it was just rubbish at accelerating below this. I really love the 42t rear at the minute but still think it's over geared so may try a 43t rear yet or a 13f which I'm not enamoured with. So far I'm with you on the 42t rear and 14 front.

18. I've swopped my standard set up on my road 749 to a 42t rear and a new 98 link chain , can't believe how much better it is to ride , much better acceleration , pulls really well and it's made a HUGE difference to round town driving .

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Oh ...and it gives you much more confidence in both slow manovering and riding round slow islands

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Does a 42t tear smooth the ride out at low speeds and is there less clutch feathering when fitted

Do Not Sell My Personal Information