1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 749/999 Instrument Replacement

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Technomad, Apr 13, 2017.

1. My 749R having suffered from the mysterious spontaneous cracking of the cover over the LCD screen and instruments (otherwise working fine), I've finally managed to source a set of instruments from eBay. They seem in immaculate condition, so I can either try and prise open the old and new cases and just swap over the top cover or could (much more easily) swap over the whole unit. However, does anyone know how much is coded in the instrument panel and how much in the ECU on these bikes? ie, will the thing work with a simple swap over or is the whole idea doomed?

2. If you can swap over the top cover I'd go for that.
    The dash contains the immobiliser which is paired to your ECU and the keys. If you simply swap the dash it won't recognise the key and won't send the necessary signal to the ECU to allow the bike to start. You could have the ECU reflashed to remove the immobiliser function.
    The likely cause of the cracking on your original unit is contact with brake fluid, possibly from a slightly leaky reservoir cover.

3. That's what I'd assumed: whilst there's no crazing on the plastic (it looks more like a stress crack/impact point that runs through both the black plastic and the transparent LCD cover), the bike was stored with the steering lock on, so the brake reservoir was over the instruments. No sign of leakage though. V curious.

Does the instrument panel also include the odometer or is the mileage stored in the ECU?

4. I believe it's stored in the dash, so if you change it you will also change the mileage reading.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information