1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Wheels Into 900ss

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nasher, Feb 25, 2017.

1. I've been offered a nice set of 749 wheels with good tyres at a reasonable price and am considering putting them in my 900SS project.

Trouble is the wheels are 200 miles away so I can't measure them up to see if I can work out a way to fit them.

I can turn up spacers in my lathe and mill, and can swap bearings out if possible to match bore sizes to spindle sizes, but I could really do with some guidance on knowing if they will physically fit width wise etc into my Forks and Swingarm.

Also, I'm assuming the Discs will be 320mm OD?? I'll have to use 749 discs as they are 5 bolt not 6 bolt.
    I'm assuming then I can make some adaptor brackets to make my current calipers fit.

Can anyone offer some knowledge before I spend the money.

Thanks

Nasher.

2. I have a tape measure and a 999. What would you like specifically?

3. Hi CR.

I think any of the following would help me to make a decision if you can measure them quickly and easily.

Both Wheel Spindle diameters

Both wheel tyre widths

Both wheels distance between outer faces of the wheel bearings.

Distance between outer faces of front discs

Diameter of front discs

Back wheel distance between outer face of rear disc and outer face of sprocket.

Rear disc diameter.

Many Thanks

Nasher

4. Can defo get some of these tomorrow morning, I'm a little tipsy now and having family time now.

Where are the wheels?

5. Thanks CR

Wheels are in Cornwall.

Enjoy your family time.

Nasher

6. Ok, wrong direction for me to help. I'll get measuring tomorrow.

7. Remember that the 900ss has a speedo drive from the front wheel which the 749 doesn't. Although you may not need this on your project bike.

8. Front spindle
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Rear goes through these adjusters so:[​IMG]
    I can give you the bearing part number for the rear wheel of you need it for more accuracy.

9. Tyres are 120/70 and 190/50. Not sure if 749 run the same or not.

10. Front disc outside[​IMG]

11. Inside SA [​IMG][​IMG].

Front disc
    [​IMG]

I'll have to start taking stuff apart to get more. If you decide it's a goer I can get more measurements.

12. Cr, hi.

That's fantastic, many thanks, I can probably manage with that, I'm really grateful.

I'm off out to watch the Rugby at a mates place now, but will hopefully get a chance to compare what you've found to my SS later.

Ref the speedo Derek, that's one of the things I'm concerned about, as I would like to run my SS cable type drive, so need to figure out if I could adapt it.
    I've done a similar thing in the past converting a set of race Dymags for use in my Z1000H that I'd put a GSXR1100 Upside-down front end in.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
  13. Look at a speedo drive from an ST2/3/4 as they have the same spindle dia as the 749/999.

14. 749 front wheel doesn't have the fitting for a speedo drive and I doubt it would be possible to machine it as you'd lose all the bearing housing?

Also the disc offset is 5mm more than the SS so you would need to find some 10mm offset discs which, AFAIK are not available in the 5 hole pattern, or move your calipers out. A 916 series front wheel would fit and has a 25mm spindle with speedo drives available so would be much easier to adapt.

With regards to the rear, AFAIK the 749/99 wheel is too wide (at the hub) to fit, so would need some serious alteration of the wheel and/or swingarm.

15. You beat me to it Dukedesmo.

Cream Revenge, thanks for your help, your measurements have saved me an expensive mistake or many hours in the workshop making them work.

I've spent a load of time this evening googling sizes, and looking at threads on various Ducati forums, as obviously it appears I'm not the first one to have thought of the idea.

The rear wheel does appear to fit, with a bit of machining and a bearing swap.
    Skimming the sprocket carrier down slightly also helps to align the chain.
    The 999/749 swingarm as measured by CR is exactly the same width at 240mm as my 900SS one, but the caliper carrier is narrower, so I'd have to source a 999/749 one or introduce mine to my milling machine.

The front is another matter. A bearing swap is possible, but as Cream Revenge's measurements prove, and Dukedesmo points out, the discs are spaced out 5mm extra on each side, which is a pain as I'd need to resort to some huge ugly adaptor plates which I'm not prepared to consider.
    Skimming the hub by 5mm each side isn't possible because there isn't enough meat in the casting.

The speedo drive is another issue, but actually possible I reckon by using a 2mm slimmer wheel bearing on that side and a slimmer speedo drive from another bike. The one on my 900SS is 5mm wider than the one I have left over from an old Z1000 project, and I've managed to take a few mm off another one of these in the past.

Need to find a new plan.

I like to look of the later ST4 etc 5 spoke wheels, so might look at them.

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information