1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

939 SP 821 Vs 939sp

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Rjkc600, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Ok chaps, as some of you know I have upgraded from a HM 821 to a 939SP.

I currently own both, so can give a good comparison between the models.

For those that wonder why I did this move, I traded in my 1299 Panigale as I preferred riding the 821 over that so figured I'd move the 1299 and the 821 on and buy the ultimate Hypermotard as my only bike.

So upon picking up the 939SP I had not Demo'd the 939 at all. Hadn't even sat on one, largely due to it being essentially the same bike and thinking I wouldn't bother.......or so I thought.

First thing that is instantly noticeable is the height of the SP. It lists as 2CM higher I believe, but feels quite a bit more once I swing my leg over. It also looks taller and bigger, although I suspect that could be my eyes playing tricks.

So on I get, start it up and off I go. Now I saw the headline BHP increase of 3 bhp over the 821 engine and thought "pathetic". I then read the "18% more midrange" comment from Ducati press information. I was sceptical, but I was aware that it could only be an improvement, even if a small one.
    Well I was mistaken. The midrange is far superior, it now feels like a big engine and it pulls so much stronger in the midrange that I was genuinely surprised and impressed. Now the 821 had just about enough midrange to power lift the front wheel in 2nd as I hit 6000rpm, but it required a well timed 'tug' I found.

The 939 is completely different. It flips up the front wheel with no struggle at all, this thing is a wheelie machine, so if that's your thing then you'll be very satisfied.

The engine also seems to have smoother fuelling low down. The 821 isn't actually that bad in itself, but the 939 seems to have improved things a little low down in the rev range, I wouldn't say it's perfect but hey it's Ducati and the day they create fuelling perfection is the day pigs will certainly fly.

The Ohlins suspension looks amazing, really making the bike look special and feels very firm, with very little rear squat when I sit onboard. The front end feels far nicer in corners than the 821, and the front end shakes that could occur under power on a poor road surface seem to be gone with the ohlins suspension, although as I'm still 'running it in' I can't be certain here.
    Either way the suspension has a much more premium feel when riding, with feedback being felt without upsetting the bike. I really think Ducati need to add adjustment to the base model hypermotard, non adjustable forks are just not acceptable on premium bikes in my opinion.

I found the 939SP far harder to achieve knee down on. The 821 was surprisingly easy to do so, but this needs some serious hanging off to get there my tyres have slightly worn the Supercorsa wording of the tyre so plenty of lean on. I guess this is down to a higher ridding position. Handling through the country lanes of Essex is truly awesome. So much confidence from the bike when riding fast through the roads.

Another thing I immediately liked was the front brake lever is slightly shorter than the 821. It makes it far nicer to feel for the brake and feels more controllable when trying to brake progressively. The Brembo master cylinder is also a big upgrade, the brakes feel so much stronger.

The standard exhaust also has a nice noise and sounds better than the 821, crackling lightly on overrun. It does look rather huge though, particularly from behind. Although this will be ditched soon for a Termignoni system.

The standard seat still has that dip that restricts movement, so I've junked that in favour of the Ducati performance seat which I had fitted to my 821. A big improvement allowing movement around the seat.

In summary the main standout feature is the engine, definitely a big improvement in midrange which has made it awesome. Combined with the trick looks of the SP model I am one happy man.

The 821 is still a great bike and made the decision that this was the way to go for me, I mean who'd have thought I'd open up the garage door and jump on the Hypermotard over a 1299, nearly every time?! The hypermotard just has more fun factor on the road.

Sadly the 821 currently resides at the back of the garage, listed on eBay for a new owner to enjoy.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Very interesting .
    You have the choice of one of the best sports bikes on the market, yet choose a hyper to ride. I know how you feel albeit slightly different in I've spent the last 10 ish years losing my love of bikes yet my hyper has rekindled my love of biking in general.
    I'm busy sniffing for an SP , your not helping me not buy one !!

3. Haha. I know, you said in the other thread. Best move I made to be honest. The 821 is great, but the SP is at another level IMO.

4. I was hoping Cambridge would have rung or emailed me the price for swapping mine in by now, but not yet. Looks like I'm going to have to ring them tomorrow and chase a deal up. I'm taking the family to America in 5 weeks and another bike upgrade was not on the list before that !!!!!!!!

5. Haha. It's only a PCP deal with affordable monthly payments sir.

Ducati dealers all suck, they never seem like they give 2 shits about selling you a bike or not from my experience.

Jap bike dealers are far easier to deal with from my own experiences, plus easier to barter a deal with. Irrelevant I know.

6. Well, you've both confirmed what ive already said time and time again....the hyper is a weird bike....they didn't sell very well, looks are squarely in beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type thing but once you've had one you just cant get enough of them. Ironically on the way to work this morning a sweaty on a CB750 went rocketing past me, took some pretty questionably routes through dual carriageway traffic (so I hung back) thinking "ill be seeing you on the next roundabout in a minute mate..." - to which I did, reeled him in, went round the outside and left him on the drive out of the other side....I think at that point he decided to give up and on the next roundabout pulled up alongside (massive beard and bullethead crash helmet for the fist bomb) which I obliged and thought...."yeah only cos I left you standing on the roundabout...!"

Theyre good bikes alright...im happy with the 1100 but if they came out with a 1200 - then yeah - id be looking alright....

7. If they came out with a 120 version then it would be the first new bike I would buy in since a GPX750 back in 1987 ( I think )

1299 SP Hyper anyone ????
    3 modes , with race being the full 190 HP .
    For a second just imagine it .......................

8. Yep - glad to think someone else is thinking the same as me....with the 1100 evo sp (whoever was in charge at Ducati at that point) must have thought...."fuck it" go extreme, its what the punters want....and since then some shandy drinker has gotten the reigns since...its what the hyper is all about, bloody hell, its even in the fucking name!!

A 1200 you could easily control with electronics and if youre a fucking looney you can switch them off...easy...I really cant see what the problem is..!

9. Nice write up! :thumbsup: Must keep an eye out for you when I'm out and about! Still haven't seen an sp in the metal! :grinning:

10. It is the first time I read a review that fully matches what I've felt!

I did same move and found out exactly the same.
    I would add that the brakes feel more consistent in the 939sp than they ever did on the 821. By consistency I mean same feel on the first touch and pull of the lever. Also, so far no pulsating issues with the SP.

For me Ohlins worth it and yes, how come Ducati would not pen a deal with I don't know, Showa? Or another so to deliver adjustable suspension for the 821? On the other hand it makes the SP more exclusive.

I just need an homologated exhaust please!!!!

11. So, I rung Cambridge today to enquire out the SP they have in . It's secondhand , 2015 with only 1800 miles on.
    Turns out they cant give me a price for it as the sales manager is on holiday this week and only he can work out the sales value !!!

God help us when the workshop manager goes on hols for two weeks .........

12. Use the sales manager`s absence to your advantage. Decide what you would like to pay for the bike and go along and make an offer subject to agreeing there and then. You never know, you may get lucky.
    Mind you I cant imagine a big firm like Vindis being so reliant on one person that sales grind to a halt while he is on holiday.

13. Good point.

I'll call in on the way home and offer £4000 * . They are new, innocent , prime for a taking.

* on the basis of new tyres of my choice fitted

14. I think you are being a little generous there but hey, its your money.

15. Great review thanks, now I want one too lol

16. Amazing I was there to see your bike when on sale and I ended up buying a different one because of the different set up. Anyway when you open the garage and I saw the 939 sp.... OMG What a bike. After few months on the 821 I am considering the 939 for a newer bike and more warranty. I hope this is the right thing... I love the SP but is too much for commuting maybe

17. Nah... It just makes the commute more fun!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

18. I use mine to commute although I work in the sticks so the ride can be fun

19. How you finding it in this weather?

20. Cold!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information