1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848/1098 Forks In To 99/749

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Lucazade, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Any one knows if they will fit right in or do you have to modify clamps?

If they go in and you use 848 brakes will you need new discs or is the offset the same?

2. Showa forks will fit (Ohlins models need a larger, 56mm bottom yoke). AFAIK the brake offset should be the same but, you'd probably need the 848/1098 spindle/axle though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Forgot about that will stock rim take it? Saying that front*has 28mm front nut is in same?

4. I've done it.

You need the axel and spacers

5. 848 axel? What size spacers and where?

6. You'll need the axel for the 848 forks and the 848 wheel spacers

7. The axle is still 25mm and may use the same nut? but the 'fat' end that passes through the fork leg is bigger, IIRC 35mm vs. 30mm.

8. Yep I've done it too. However I used the 749 spindle. And made spacers and sleeves. I found it made a huge difference to both braking and frontend feel. But that may be due to the original forks being way to stiff on the spring rate. I picked up a pair of KTM super duke calipers off fleabay for £60.

9. Got the forks. Is 1098 spindle with spacers same as 848?

Callipers will any Brembo monoblock fit as there is a pair from s1000rr for good money

10. I reckon at a guess that the 848 and 1098 spindles are the same.

Calipers - they should be fine, again, guessing!

R

11. Spindle for 1098 should be the same as 848, AFAIK other than the Ohlins versions they used the same forks and wheel.

As for calipers, as long as they are 100mm bolt spacing they should be fine - some Japanese and some race bikes use the 108mm spacing which also have a different offset (for the holes in the fork bottoms, not the discs).

12. So have forks, have callipers, still looking for spindle and spacers.

Anyone got it?

Anyone know if front spindle from other model will fit and if it does which one?
    What size spacers I need?

• Like Like x 1
  13. 749/999/848/1x98 spacers are all the same. Just put an FGRT819 on my 999S.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Now still need to find spindle and nut :)

15. All you need to do is to find someone who can machine a sleeve, to step up the larger diameter on the spindle to the even larger 848 diameter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Adds additional complication.

Prefer to wait for 8484/1098 spindle, will nut fit?

17. Also can I use stock brake lines?

18. You need the correct nut, 749/999 one won't be large enough for the hole on the fork leg.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information