1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 853 Project - Who To Choose..?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Bullitt, Feb 15, 2017.

1. As has already been mentioned if you want to go the 748R shower injector route you will need the full setup from a 748R and the airbox. This includes the injectors and fuel pipes, the inlet stubs, the inlet side valve covers and their screws, the injector part of the loom that goes into the airbox and finally the lefthand hose that loops around the outside of the frame.

After that you will then need to modify or change the frame to the "Kyalami" style setup or buy a 748R or 998 frame. The 998 frame is exactly the same as a 748R but has the HT coil mounts in a different place.

If you to go the 853 route, again as mentioned, then consider Louigi Moto as both he and Chris Steedman of CJS now work together on such projects, Louigi or his mechanic Chris will do the mechanical work and then CJS will set it all up. Chris Steedman also has his own cylinder head flow bench although he may now let Louigi do that work including valve modifications.

With the advent of the ability to now use a larger engine in a stock frame the 853 conversion may not now be the chosen route that people may wish to take.

Another option is to get a wrecked 748R, if you can find one, and modify that into an 853 and "adjust" your own frame.

I did this but went the route of just putting a 748R motor in a stock 748S frame, this has given me just 1/2 a BHP less than a stock 748R, of which I am more than happy with and it also allowed all the 748R injector parts and airbox etc. to be sold off to help defer the cost.

CJS did all the fuelling and setup on that as I use stock 748 throttle bodies and airbox.

Whatever you do, make sure all engine mods are complete before you get the fuelling set up otherwise it will need modifying at a later date if you do more work.

2. Many thanks again for all the replies.

Been side tracked with work, but now have a fair bit of time off and I can focus on this.

I've decided against shower injectors. The work and time that is involved would be very costly, not to mention the additional cost of a donor bike, even if I could find one!!

@Red998 - that is impressive if you're only 1/2bhp off of the R with standard fueling. The plan is to have the engine out and frame cleaned up as there is a little bit of surface corrosion. At the same time, the engine work can be done, cams, radiator and oil cooler installed, clutch etc. Simply put, I need the internals and setup done by those that know how to. All of the other parts I have some experience with and would get enjoyment from installing.

I'm not sure if having the rear mounted breather would have a negative effect after setup as I would like to install the subframe and parts myself, but I'll seek guidance on that. I know I'll need a longer rear loom, so I'm already on the hunt for that. It might actually still be available from Ducati - so many parts still are!

3. I guess you are talking about the mono loom, which is indeed longer than the stock 748 item. They are hard to find and I was very lucky that when I was building my 748S\748R hybrid that it happened to come with the extended loom.

Again this makes more sense to go for a 748R write off, I was lucky as one turned up on eBay and although it was in Scotland I managed to have it delivered on a pallet and was amazed by how much was "left" of the bike, I even got a repairable frame out of it and a Powercommander set up for the 748R engine with a datasheet of the work done.

As mentioned bigger engines can be more viable and it's not impossible to maybe look, now, at 998 write off or larger.

The 998 would be easier to incorporate, if you had the right frame, as then everything would be there for a fairly straightforward swap over. You could then consider a 996/998 "grunter" motor as per the work done by Sigma performance some years back.

Ducati 996 Bip racer - Grunter

Do Not Sell My Personal Information