1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Keeps Going Flat..

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by layton20, Feb 10, 2017.

1. hi i bought a 15 plate 899 completely stock about 2 months ago, to convert to a track bike owned it 3 days and the battery went flat. charged it, and lasted a week and died again. iv since replaced it for a new 1 and last about a fortnight and died again. (the only thing I have purchased really is a bike sport developments clutchless down shifter. but it went dead before I purchased that also)
    any help would be greatful

2. Glad to see Ducati are continuing their traditional 'dont expect your bike to start after more than a few days' with the newer models. My 1098 would kill a battery within about 2 weeks, have you got an alarm fitted?

3. Is it actually charging, other than by means of a mains type battery charger??

4. Never had this problem with my 899

Always held a good charge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. What he said :)

6. no alarm fitted

7. how would I check this ?

8. Mine had an alarm (which was utterly useless) but it had it never the less...

Never caused a problem

9. The 899 is one of the most reliable Ducatis so there is no real common problem, I would suggest that as it is in warranty you take it to a dealer and let them sort it out, if it is out of warranty you may get it done as a goodwill gesture .

10. Hasn't got a tracker on it has it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Is the battery going flat while you are riding/running the bike or is it while the bike is standing?

12. no, battery is fine when riding. just put optimate on for 20 mins was reading 11.3 volts and started. then whilst running it was reading 14,4 volts

13. yes has a tracker

14. Trackers are renowned for killing batteries !

15. Looks like the bike is charging then but something is draining your battery

16. yeah never give it a thought but makes sense, cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mine has a tracker and the battery life is poor. That said, I'm sure it would be ok for a few weeks before giving me a problem

18. You'll need to keep it on a battery optimiser, as @Advikaz said mine kills my battery within 4 days

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. W
    Wow...

20. just have your tracker only report on every 12hrs unless moving and have in sleep mode. So should activate on movement and wake up. Well if it's a good one anyway.

It's the amps they draw. One on a car or van will make it flat from full charge (or flat enough to not allow it to compete it's start procedure) in 21-28 days. So given the amp rating on a bike battery it has no chance. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information