1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 916/748/996/998 Swing Arm Pivot Bolt Tool

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by rob6539, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Hi guys

I have a very good swing arm pivot bolt removal tool. Hopefully I'll never need to use it again. But wondered if anyone wanted to borrow it if they are currently struggling to remove the bolt from their bike?

I decided at the start of the year to drop the engine out of my 748 to give it some much needed TLC and treat it to a new lick of paint. This great idea was hampered by the dreaded swing arm pivot bolt being seized in place.

Looking over many forums for helpful solutions it became apparent that this is quite a common issue with the model and loads of people have struggled in the past removing this stubborn bolt from their bikes.

My brother is an engineer and was nice enough to turn a piece of steel with a tread on the end, which was used to screw onto the internal thread of the swing arm bolt; with a few thwacks with Thor's hammer I was quite easily able to push the bolt out of the bike...RESULT! I had been struggling for a good few weeks to do this and this tool enabled me to do it within a few minutes!

As I said at the top, I'm hoping to never need this tool again, but it works too well to give away or leave collect dust. However if you are currently struggling with the same issue, I'd be very happy to let you borrow it. I'm not looking for any money, just hope it can go towards helping someone out in their projects.

Message me if you're interested.

Rob

2015-03-07 12.46.55.jpg

2015-03-07 12.47.40.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Good gesture, having had the same problem in the past I now remove and grease the bolt every service.
    Steve

3. I'll be looking forward to doing that next year too (hopefully with a lot less hassle)

4. The thing with these type of drifts, is that they can damaged the thread, if not wound fully in. Or mushroom the outside of the pivot making the thing impossible to get pats the bearings and making it jam even more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes you're right. I found that I needed to re-tighten the drift every three strikes with the lump hammer to make sure it wasn't loading up on threads too much.

As far as I'm aware, my pivot bolt survived any mushrooming or distorting; although that was a concern I had when my brother made to tool for me.

However, after so many failed attempts of getting the thing out I was happy to take the risk.

6. do you know of a better solution? i cut my swing arm off with a grinder as i couldnt get the f'ing out!!! :Eggonface:

7. Thanks mate. Like most I hope I never need it.
    If you're looking at cutting the swingarm, it's gotta be worth a go first.

8. I made one (I'm an engineer) and beat my 916 across the garage with a 20lb sledge hammer......:Banghead: no joy.......

9. That doesn't sound like fun, sorry to hear it's causing you so much bother.

Before using the drift, I'd spent about a month trying loads of different ways of knocking the bolt out. Throughout that time I'd sprayed a far quantity of WD wherever I could. I reckon this helped a far bit. I've also read a lot of forum threads saying persistence was needed.

Do you have someone who can stand on the other side of the bike whilst you swing the hammer at it?

Best of luck. Hope you manage to get it sorted!

10. Yes, the bolt was removed (obviously), the frame was ratchet strapped and my mate attempted to hold the bike in place....
    The previous month was spent dosing it with penetrating oil.....:Grumpy:
    The next attempt will be to have a shaft right through and a hydraulic press cylinder on it in some fashion but haven't worked out the logistics yet.

11. Daisy you need a scaffold pole between bike and a hard place ,knock the bolt into it, movement off the bike will absorb the force off the thing your trying to shift.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. This may help you guys …
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks, the scaffold pole thing is a grand plan............

Do Not Sell My Personal Information