1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 For Sunday Afternoon A Road Riding

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Cream_Revenge, May 8, 2016.

1. Hey. Really need new tyres I feel, front tucked twice today so I'm losing all confidence in them.

Currently running Corsa III stamped 1411 and I've never liked them.

999 has Diablo stamped 1114 and I'm much happier on these.

Not keen on M7RR, not tried them but think the profile will be to high for just A roads for me.

Suggestions?

Also, how old should a new tyre be? Just got a "new" tyre for GSXR 2 weeks back and it is stamped 4713. Not overly impressed but it's only an old 600 so shouldn't be to big an issue but a 1L twin would be different.

2. Hi there, last part I guess an old model being sold off at a small outfit or the dreaded "no can beat super deal online" I wonder why, if it was new it's spent 2 1/2 years on shelf, does the surface feel plastic like? If probably get it off, if you keep I suggest really dry day, 20 miles fair riding, coffee break, 25 miles hard riding, coffee break, 25 miles hard riding, next day chgech tyre cold, if still like plastic throw it, if blue oily look to it throw, if black and feels like rubber again keep it and kepp checking it, what you are doing is checking to see if the tyre can cope with heat cycling,
    Tyre suggestions match up to rear if only changing one, if pairs, looking cheap then Michelin pilot powers mk1, grippy tyres of your bike age & tech, mich pilot power 2ct, cheap bit grippier and quicker turn these are great for your bike,
    What do you need tyre to do? Are your pockets full or wanna keep price down, pirelli Angel ST sporty feel good price as older tech but still available, Metz M5 keeping price down great sporty tyre, but then why not M7rr? You say A roads but I guess behind that question you may want mileage? Be careful if you put sports touring as turn in is slow and makes bike feel heavier, I put Metz z8 and after 4 months I regretted it due to slow turn in, if you like bridgstonbe then BT016pro would be a good sporty tyre with reasonable mileage at a good price, money no object, Rosso 3, m7rr, Avon ULTRA SPORT - wet grip good with those, or Rosso corsa, mich pwr3, not as good in wet,
    Careful as it get a minefield
    You need to no in order of priority what you want?
    Feel for bike and to suit bike,
    Wet use %
    Mileage expectation
    Bike use,
    Then what you need to tell the supplier is how much you are willing to spend and a good supplier will find the best suited to your needs,
    Just remember one thing over all, the bike was made for?
    Fast fun
    Comutor bimble
    Adventure off tarmac or on tarmac
    Sometimes is hard to hear but a lot of people buy bikes because they love the model but it was not designed to do the job you bought it for, that's why the better off people commonly have 3+bike in the garage!
    You can destroy a feel of a bike buy the wrong tyre,

• Like Like x 1
  3. Then buy a pair of Diablos if you are happy with them on your 999. Don't discount the Metzelers until you have tried them, the profile is fine, they warm up quickly and are good in the wet. I'm sure I won't see more than 3 or 4000 out of the set on my Multistrada but that gets chucked around with great enthusiasm especially as I have great confidence in the tyre. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dunlop d211s for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GSXR tyre was a Dunlop 16 Pro bought and fitted from my local Suzuki dealers, small outfit, good price, they had on shelf when I called. Done 40 odd mls the other day and seemed ok. Generally, how old should a "new" tyre be on purchase?

I ride dry mls only, only ever ride for pleasure and can't remember last time on a motorways. Not fussy on mileage as don't do a lot. Never commute, I work from home. What I want is to be able to drop a knee on a 6 pence, riding for me is all about leaning over.

6. :upyeah:
    Hi there,
    There's no full legislation as to tyre age, that is why it varies supplier to supplier, generally car, van, 4x4 & motorcycle should be considered end of life between 5-7 years from build date, this changes upon who the supplier registers themselves with, ie officiated with motorcades of practice, trading standards etc, there are various governing bodies in tyre trade with slightly diff calls on things, this differentials come from manufacturers who have to back up the retailer in court, some retailers choose not to supply a tyre over 2 years (most common) as this is a British standard.

You want to keep the lightness of the bike and drop to knee sharply,
    Dry only:-
    Metz racetech RR (DOT coded only of course)
    Pirelli supercorsa's (leave SC 1.2.0 alone for road)
    Slight wet:-
    Diablo ROSSO Cora recommend top
    Bridgestone RS10 - fitted on H2 may not drop fast but deffo sticky!
    Michelin pilot power 2CT's - if need to save few quid
    Wet/dry don't matter but tyres must be up to temp
    Metz M7RR -recommend top
    Diablo ROSSO 3 -recommend 2nd
    Bridgestone S21 -recommend 3rd
    Avon ultra sport or supersport - as fitted to zx6r 2014+
    I would recommend these tyres in this order, you need to think about %wet whether riding
    Thx
    Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Cool, that's lots to go off.

regards age, is it reasonable to expect a tyre to be under 6 months old from manufacture? What should I accept?

8. Supercorsas or 211's :upyeah:

But I have to say, and sorry for sounding like a boring f'cker, I do like to get a shufty on on the road but kneedown and tucking the front is really asking for trouble mate, get shut of the Gixer use the 999 on't road and track the 996 :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. The tyres that are up to date models that I supply will be less than 1 year old most less than 6, thats because we by direct from manufacturer by the large crate, we also buy calendar space in the production run 6 months in advance, so if a tyre becomes hard to get hold of we generally will have it, some slower moving models will be up to 2years because were usually trying to help out the guy that needs to match up a single tyre so we can avoid pushing him into a pair, better customer service!
    The reason for online risk of tyre age is mainly due to garages going bust and online only suppliers will offer £££ for whatever is there, the reason garage went bust means it didn't sell its stock so its old before the online get it, the reason its then possibly unbeatable from online is something for the tyre is better than writing it off,
    If your supplier is buying from a reputable place then tyre should be newish, if they are ringing around to maximise profit then they end up initially buying an older tyre, offered cheaper to get rid of,
    Sorry for replies being long and boring but understanding the boring background means understanding why you got what you got, what I can guarantee is a movement trail of the product I sell, direct, can a cheap supplier prove the product tracking? Probably not,
    What also needs to be realised is that you would be gobsmacked at the lack of profit in a tyre, what do you think my profit is on a take away tyre when you pay £70 for it? Then you want a better deal and want a fiver off?............. you've probably take away 60% of my profit! That's the truth, that's why we want to fit it and that's why I pay more for good guys and go further than most fitting stations I.E I will clean brakes, spindles, grease spindle bearings, tension chain to manufacturer settings, torque correctly and invest in the correct tools for each bike, and still try and smile!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. You are probably right but its only roundabouts and low speed corners not fast sweeping A roads. I should probably grow up but I like the sound when they touch and i'm shallow enough to not want to walk about with untouched sliders.

GSXR is on borrowed time but I can't bring myself to do it, we go back a long way, and 996 needs to be on public display, I can see it bring a smile to peoples faces when they see it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bodykit & track the 999 then, nobody really wants to see them :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Whats the thoughts on CONTINENTAL SPORT ATTACK?

M&P are doing them for £145.98 the pair. i need to check the age.

Also, any thoughts on not keeping it a 190/50? changing to 55?

13. M&p do cheap tyres because there not up to date, since this model came out they havee been replaced by the 2's, then the front 120/70 WAs recalled and rebuilt, and the 3's are justt around the corner, with respect you seem to have pricee as a priority, so go Michelin pilot powerr 2ct's, ists only racently people have comee off them as Metzler, Pirelli, much, bridgee, Dunlop have all up'ed there game, bestt older tech sports tyres much POWer 2ct's witheut a doubt, great cheap race profilee for a sportsbike, bestt selling tyres in early 2005/06/07/08

14. Pain killers kicking in????

15. Not massively trying to keep costs down, i'd rather spend an extra £50 and get the right ones, they just seemed good value and I seem to remember they were popular, to be honest I know knack all about tyres.

Shame your so far away or i'd just ride down and hand you my credit card and just not look. Are you open Saturdays and when you back to work????

16. OMG, sorry, can you decipher?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I open sats 8:30-16:30, 1 hr dedicated slots, pre book and reserve tyres, no payment upfront needed, probably back at work in 4 weeks, my 749 is there at moment and I keep buying bit for it, wife doesn't think paypal has an account balance feature!!
    be goo to meet you, and you could have um scrubbed in by the time your home, I get people from reading use me, Exeter, watchett, all over, managed to start building the name properly after 2012/13

18. @andyt749 Thanks for your tyre info in this and other threads... very useful thanks. Treated myself to some new m7RR's yesterday. Was wondering why the ride felt so bad on the way home... tyre supplier had put 42psi into each of them :confounded: WTF? I love it how my receipt mentions "Take Care: Running in period required, minimum 100 miles in DRY CONDITIONS"

... now hold on... its summer time here in the UK, so where am I going to get DRY CONDITIONS? :yum:

FullSizeRender.jpg

19. :Wideyed::Wideyed::Wideyed:
    Uummmmm....... shouldn't it be 36/42?, I'm sure you've checked but look up your bike on Metzeler website and find your dedicated pressure's, Metz do run quite high though.
    just ride smoothly, just roll on off throttle and roll into a lean, three good heat cycles usually sorts it out!!!
    let us know how you get on with um,
    ive been out on the bike first time today after surgery...... new rosso3's fitted, squeaky bum time out of a junction as the rear spun up slightly:eek:...... forgot my own advice :Shy:!!

20. Doh.. What did you have done, how long you had off riding?

For the 998 on M7RR's, the Metzeler site mentions: Front 2.2bar (31.9psi) , Rear 2.4bar (34.8psi)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information