1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 Rear Swingarm Axle Removal Issues

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Nathanhu, Nov 27, 2016.

1. so after having the output bearing collapse on me on Assen in September I need to remove and strip the motor to asses the damage.
    but to add insult to injury the swing arm axle is not coming out.

so any good tips on the removal?
    I am able to rotate the shaft but I guess its stick in the distance bushings.
    I soaked it in wd40 about a week ago and have another 3 weeks until im back home again to try the next step.
    would be good to hear from anyone who has successfully got passed this hurdle..
    but I can see I might be attacking it with a saw if nothing better comes to light..

thanks in advance

2. Big hammer and a copper drift.

3. tried that and i think the frame is springing slightly absorbing the shock

4. was considering finishing the strip down and then laying the bike on its side and on a block of wood and then using that to push back against the blow, so to say

5. #6 Nathanhu, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. It took me three weeks to get one out once! Constant soaking with a good penetrating oil over a period of weeks and constant "bashing" with a heavy hammer and solid drift should get it moving.

I also used an SDS drill to pound the head of the bolt.

So far I have never had one that won't come out but some have been very hard work to remove but they have all come out intact. Once you get some movement then you can drift the spindle backwards and forwards from each side and that helps to loosen up the spindle and clear the rust. Use penetrating oil in between these bouts to dissolve and shift the rust.

Ducati put these spindles in dry it would seem at the time of manufacture and if you have a bike that's been used in anything less than dry weather then you will find once the passivate coating wears off then the spindle will start to rust and seize in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Red has just about covered it, hit it back and forth with a bit of heat, wd40 is more for water displacement than a penetrating oil.
    Steve

8. We have a product here called penetrene which comes in a yellow sqeezy bottle. Good product and use it at work quite a lot on seized nuts and bolts.

9. I had the same problem when I had a little off and snapped my 916 in half (yes you did hear that correctly :))

Brace one side of the bike and hit the axle bolt with a drift. Once it starts moving, you're sorted. :upyeah:

Build Up 8.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  10. if you're leaving it to soak for a couple of weeks while you go away I heard that derv is a good penetrant and it certainly makes things slippery. Red998's tip about the sds drill is worth a go as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The SDS drill is a good idea, I have an air hammer at home for exhausts etc, I'll see if it is still in the box I got it in 15 years ago..! Unused of cause

12. All the best tools usually are!

13. being positive and hoping the axle will just fall out at the nearest glimpse of the hammer when I get home, ill need a few wooden blocks etc to support the motor, does anyone have DIY or link to where I can get some details on a Bench stand for the engine? would make it a bit easier to transport the block to the Dealer.
    doesn't have to be anything fancy just practical

Do Not Sell My Personal Information