1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998 Monster Mob ?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by gixermark, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Hi guys,

I've been looking around for a 916/996/998 for a while now....

My preference is red, not hugely bothered which model... Although the 998 is tempting due to the (seemingly) more reliable engine....

I stumbled on the ones below... I wasn't really looking for a 'replica' bike... But if Ducati genuinely did sell monster mob 998? This tempts me... I'm not keen on a painted/DIY replica bike.

Price seems very good for a low mileage 998 too... Thoughts?

Ducati 998 Monster mob 991 996 999 original. | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  2. Never heard or seen a Monster Mob 998 from Ducati but at last a realistically priced 998 on ebay that will sell. It won't be there long

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yup, price and miles are very good... Ad/owner comes across genuine too.

If it was a genuine limited run from Ducati I'd definitely be willing to buy... If not, I might just hang on for a red one... It is nice tho!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. As per Denzil:s comment, never heard of an official Monster Mob rep, only Bostrom, Baylis, or Matrix. Pretty sure it's an aftermarket job but appears to have been well done and actually looks quite good. Price is not off the scale but it does appear to be a base model without more powerful deep sump engine.

5. When I had my 998 from new there were a few Monster Mob bikes around, almost certainly these were either dealer painted bikes or race replicas painted by their owners, Ducati did not make an official replica.

I am not a fan of race replicas as they seem to date the bike more easily than stock, but each to his own. If you were interested in the replica breed I would research how easily they would sell when and if you want to move it on.

The other option would of course be to return it to standard. The fairing on the eBay bike is a stock 998 fairing and by the look of it I would say it started life a a stock 998 Biposto model.

To put things into perspective I have a 998 Biposto converted to Mono using a genuine Aerofibre Ducati Mono seat unit which is standard apart from Titanium Termi's and has done just over 4,000 miles from new. If i were to sell it I would not be asking what the eBay bike is going for, I would be looking for less. When new I removed all the panels, seat and tank and bought a complete set of replacement panels, tank and seat. So anyone buying it would basically have an almost new stock looking bike.

However it is most definitely not for sale, personally I think It's a little overpriced although in nice condition, but i do believe there could potentially be better for less money based on my own assumptions and expectations if I were looking to sell my bike.

6. Thanks guys.....

At least the owner of the monster bike seems to be genuine enough... When I asked about service history and how long he has owned it... He said he only had 2 years of history.. And that it probably wasn't for me - I think in reference to the fact I said I wanted a bike with decent history as a keeper.....

The 996 that I linked to above I really like - but can't help but think a 998 would be a better buy if I could get one at the right £

At least I am in no panic.... I don't 'need' a bike at all, but would buy the right one if/when it comes along.

Red.... I think you are being hard on the value of your bike - certainly from what I see available on the market.

7. Possibly but mine would be priced to sell as opposed to stretching the price in the hope that someone just may be interested and be willing to pay that bit extra.

Any bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

8. These are all old bikes by now...even with FSH thing can go wrong.
    If the price is right (might be able to get a £5500 deal on the 998) and conditions are good, I would deffo buy even if FSH is not present a lot of owner prefer to service the bike themselves. 13k is reasonable mileage for a 15 years old bike.
    Most important go and have a look/listen/check...pictures/description can be deceiving...at least when you are going to see the next bike you have a pount of reference.

If not sure on the condition take it to a Ducati service they can tell you the general condition of the bike.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Personally, I'd want to pay less for something with Monster Mob written all over it.
    Could it not be returned to standard simply enough ?
    Could be a negotiating stance...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Have to say when I saw Ducati Dad's post photo a bit of dyslexia crept in and I thought the M was an N

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information