1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbox Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by neulee, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Anybody here know why the wire screen is in the airbox under the filter on the 2015 Multistrada?

Thanks,

Warren

IMAG2.jpg

2. Wow, that's completely different from the 2010 - 2014 bikes. I'd suggest that it's some sort of spark arrester to prevent a blowback through the throttle bodies from setting the filter element on fire.

3. Have seen similar used to prevent filter flexing downward under some conditions, not sure if that's the case here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Do they have something similar on the 10-14 models to prevent blowback?

5. Wou
    Would think it's to stop it ingesting the filter, or bits of it should it break up.

There have been a few instances of 916 type bikes sucking in (aftermarket) in-airbox foam filters, trouble is that the foam then stops the throttle butterfly from closing - meaning you can't slow down (and you soil yourself). :eek:

6. The fireblade has the same arrangement, I once asked a dealer and he said it was designed for the American countries where people lay their bikes up and the Rats and Mice nest/ eat the paper element, so the mesh stops any debris dropping into the intakes. That is what he told me so not sure if it is true or not?

7. What do you mean, "you can't slow down"? Surely you can disengage the clutch and apply the brakes at any time.

8. is "std" on my lovely Elefant (adopted early Fiat/Cinquecento element) but it's clear that it's an afterthought. First time I saw one I wondered if it was non-O.E. as a little crude but seen several since. Such is the depression in the filter box at times the filter obviously collapses. The filter body seems quite rigid so must be worst scenario e.g. v.hot weather etc.

** off-topic - Good to catch up today, even if interrupted! (bless his heart)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. The debris in the throttle body of the vertical cylinder is why I had to remove the mesh. It fell in when removing the filter and there was no way to remove it without cutting out the mesh. Now either I need to find a way to reattach it to the airbox or leave it out.

10. In instances like this that's what the kill switch is for.

11. Well of course you can but an unintended burst of acceleration at the wrong moment could catch anyone out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Trouble is, because you never use it ( I don't anyway), when you do need it, you may not think of it in your panic and if you do think of it, you probably won't be able to find it... :/

13. Probably very true :eek:

14. The "official" word I got was it's there in case the paper filter gets very wet, to prevent it from drooping into the airbox.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information