1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives to the Genuine Ducati Parts!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rob, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Timing/crank sensors for the later bikes with a single hole fixing.
    OEM part is Bosch 0261 210 124 and is the same as fitted to Fiat 1.2 engines from the Punto Mk1 & Mk2, Brave. Bravo, Marea, Doblo and some others.
    Equivalents are ;
    ALFA ROMEO : 77872560
    FACET : 9.0053
    FIAT: 55187333, 7787256, 77872560
    HELLA : 6PU 009 146-121
    HERTH+BUSS ELPARTS : 70610010
    LANCIA : 77872560
    MAGNETI MARELLI : 4820171010
    MAPCO : 82002
    METZGER : 0902034
    QUINTON HAZELL : XREV153
    VDO : 324003014R
    VEMO : V24-72-0011

2. I recently needed some fairing screws. Checking the Internet, genuine parts are silly expensive apparently. Found just the job at a local supplier as follows; supplier is Cromwell Tools and they can be found HERE

Just put a forward slash and this part number at the end of the link above, and, provided it hasn't changed, it will take you to the correct page. Fifty washers with forty screws for a tenner!

Screws: - QFT6043021Y
    Washers: - CTL6463508J

I only replaced the bottom row on my fairing but I'm coming round to changing all of them as I think the replacements look better!

3. Brembo Brake Parts.
    Allegedly, Ducati stopped supplying brake parts some time ago due to a court case.

However, lots of Brembo parts can be obtained from KTM dealers, who have signed up to some kind of disclaimer that Ducati and Aprilia haven't.

Eg I need a rubber boot I managed to damage on my master cylinder when swapping levers.

Unobtanium from Ducati - £3.60 from a KTM dealer. Part number 61013008000

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Citroen 2cv oil filters will fit most Ducatis, I have used them on both my SS and 999 and got them from German, French Swedish motor factors.
    California Cycleworks belts are excellent quality and are very good value for superbikes.
    unfortunately though, I had to order direct from the States, which makes a big dent in the value - 50 dollars each. If someone like Avanti could import them, we could all benefit.
    How about it Antonye???

#24 Old rider, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  5. I use genuine Ducati timing belts on all mine, and personally wouldn't recommend anything else.
    I get a good discount from my friendly dealer so I'm not inclined to worry about saving just a few quid.
    It's only every two years anyway, so spread out the extra cost is negligible?

6. The belts for my SS were a reasonable price and I was happy to pay.
    However, the 999 belts are enormously more expensive, for what is essentially the same thing.
    I doubt Gates are the ones charging the extra but I don't know of course.
    I resent paying through the nose for anything. If there's a bit of competition, maybe Ducati will drop their prices to more reasonable levels.

7. Also since vw took over even cheap belts are now not cheap. 1993 m900 were 42 delivered now are over 100

8. Interesting that (some) spares prices have risen over the last few years. It may well be down to a change in management, or it could be down to the "old stock" factor and diminishing returns on these models (which itself may have been implemented by a change in management).

Maybe there's a nice business opportunity for someone right there!

9. The SS is a 90s bike but the belts are something like a third of the price of those for a 999, even though they are kevlar reinforced in the same way and made by Gates just like the 999 belts. The extra price appears to be pure profit.
    The California Cycleworks ExactFit belts are also kevlar reinforced and at least as strong and well made as the Gates ones but for the superbikes are much cheaper. Interestingly, for an SS, they actually charge more than Ducati do, which reflects the manufacturing cost. This adds further weight to the suspicion that Ducati are ripping us off for Superbike belts.

In America, ExactFit belts (and other ExactFit Ducati-focussed products) have a significant following and are stocked by a network of dealers. Chris Kelley would not have staked his personal and business reputation on a product that was potentially unreliable and he is a Ducati man through and through, which is largely why I chose to support him and use his belts.
    Chris has U-tube videos on testing his belts for strength and precision and also on how to install them, in the video it is him installing the belts and showing you how to go about it. He is a hands on mechanic as well as a business man and is also very helpful. He was regular contributor to the old SS Yahoo forum and I had previous dealings with him when i ordered a coil kit and Magnecor leads from him some years ago. When I had trouble with my SS dropping onto one cylinder, I emailed Chris for advice and he responded straight away, confirming my troubleshooting routine and enabling me to pinpoint the problem.

As Antonye says, this is a great business opportunity for someone. I know Chris is looking for both a European importer/distributor, as well as dealers. If someone would take it on, we could all benefit.

Ca Cycleworks ExactFit Timing Belt for Ducati 749, 996R, 998, 999, S4RS (each) | ca-cycleworks.com

#29 Old rider, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. @antonye it is management change as belts for 620ie are the same as for 695 and I think 696 but price difference between is big and they all went up in price.

Another example Monster 600 belts are cheap while 900 that are slightly longer but same design (talking carb older design) as explained expensive in comparison.

Finally Ducati has to buy them somewhere and there is a thread about replacement parts here where I have listed part numbers for all belts I could find directly with manufacturer of some of the older and middle age belts up to monster 695.
    Their list prices are much lower but they do not have direct distributors just via dealers.....

11. Just got this email newsletter. Anybody wanting an extra 20% off ExactFit belts needs to get their order in quick[​IMG]
    Dear Jeremy,
    Thanks for being awesome! Happy shopping!
    20% all Ca Cycleworks Products
    Code: cacyber2014
    Offer Expires: Midnight PST 12/1/2014
    Quick Links for Ca Cycleworks products:

Timing Belts
    Gaskets and O-rings
    Fuel Tanks
    Fuel Pumps & Accessories
    Throttle Position Sensors
    Be sure to check for a Ca Cycleworks Dealer in your area!
    Sincerely,

Chris, Candice & the Cycleworks Team
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    © 2011 California Cycleworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    California Cycleworks, Inc. | 663 33rd Street, Suite D
    San Diego, CA 92102 USA
    | P: 619/501-2466 | E:[email protected]

12. TOM BAILEY in his book DUCATI SINGLES MASTERBOOK says that ALFA ROMEO 8mm valve shim caps will fit single cylinder engines that use valve shim caps. in the past I have just put the caps on the valves and placed the valve into a valve refacing machine and dialed in the clearance required and ground the valve cap that way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #34 Old rider, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Will be in stock Mid April latest with an Ebay shop up and running - first shipment on it's way. Some are short orders and I have more on back order (but I will have some stock of all types) - they have just had a large unexpected run in the USA from dealers (including official Ducati ones too ;))

I will be running a Forum Discount's for 'Subscribed' members, payment via PayPal Friends and & Family or Direct Bank Transfer via a PM message (Private Conversation) on here. I will post the details soon :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Now after I purchased belts for baby monster at dealer price. Bijatch

Still ST2 belts will be needed soon @Exige so you best get stocking.

• Like Like x 1
  16. First delivery on their way now :Wideyed:

17. Exige maybe do similar to what MR does. Except selling bit by bit also sell service packages. For example for Monster. Oil, oil filter, drain plug spacer, 2x sparky, air filter and belts.

18. Also having supply of bearings would be nice for all models. So rims, head stock, belt tensioner, sprocket carrier, those funny ones for early mobsters with hoop. Those bits are easy to find but only if you have stock bike. You cannot search by bearing size/number and most sellers have no idea!!

19. Not ordered any - have a look on the CCA web site and let me know if they have what you want. Not sure what to stock yet but open to suggestions :) probably only worth me stocking CCA own brand products...
    California Cycleworks, Inc. - Aftermarket Ducati Parts for Ducati Performance | ca-cycleworks.com

Do Not Sell My Personal Information