1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Blind Or Valves Weren't Done On This Bike At 15k Miles??

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by alkalinequad, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Why book it in for a valve check if you have tools and do your own servicing ? It's not hard, if after your check you find it needs shims and don't feel confident doing it yourself,then book it in!
    Most times I check mine it's for peace of mind as the clearances are spot on! FREE!
    IMO when you leave it in they just rob you and every time my mate leaves his in they always have a story of how "they caught it just in time!" With a rye smile as they relieve him of extortionate amounts of money!
    He says it keeps the value of his bike up!
    I say the amount of money he spends on this service could be kept in his pocket and when he wants to sell the bike he could sell it cheaper and still be better off financially!
    What's his job? Emm! A car mechanic! More like a new parts fitter if you ask me! I've never heard a guy who knows so little about how mechanical things work in my life,works for a top marque and people think they are getting a top class service from a professional and pay accordingly!

• Like Like x 1
  2. What I've found particularly with expensive to service bikes is that "A full service history" rarely means a bike has been fully serviced. Always research the expensive service items and common faults then see if there is a history of these being done recently. If they haven't then adjust the price with the seller or simply walk away.

3. I did the service once on my old 999S. Glad i did, got to know it well and the valve clearances are just a matter of using some math. It's arguably easier to do a Duke than a jap bike as well.
    I have my 1198 in bits in the dining room waiting on a miracle to undo the rear wheel nuts (mains electric rattle gun no move it!) and a bunch of clutch bits as the clutch was well beyond recovery. Everything apart from the center basket.
    To be fair i'd not do it again unless i have a proper workbench in there, it's just too cramped rolling about on the floor, even if it is carpeted and warm :)

4. maths :Finger:

5. Simple arithmetic is all you need.

6. Yes, not arithmet though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes, the Americans say math, we say maths. Obviously numbers come in multiples :D

8. They only do simple sums? :Bucktooth:

9. I'm not American................
    I just work with them.
    Simple maths, arithmetic, adding up dem Benjamin's, however you want to put it.
    There, you see?
    They're not at fault.
    Their date format is the problem. Next!

10. Relax comrade, you appear to know the difference between they're, there and their. On this forum that elevates you to the top 2% of posters
    How are you on too, two and to? That would defiantly, definately put you in the elite group:Finger:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I can do the reading and 'riting ok, it's the 'rithmetic that's my problem.
    Just the two 'R's out of the three...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information