1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 An Odd Day

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pavey, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Bike was having trouble starting at 5.50am this morning, which i'm sure if asked my neighbours found most enjoyable. Dash blacked out so had to reset the clock, DTC etc and this is with Exact Start cables fitted.
    Moving along out of my road and all electrics went, then came back, then went. It was dark at 6am this morning so not too good. Then every couple of seconds the DTC was kicking in, checked it and it was on level 8, despite me only setting it to 4.
    Bike then fine and i rode into London. It was then standing from 7am until 2pm, when i went to move on to my next stop it threw up the immo error again, which i have only ever had previously when it has bucketed it down. Ignition off then on again and i am on my way. Halfway home i get petrol, starts fine and homeward bound. About ten minutes from home it all of a sudden started to sound like a cross between a Harley and a WW2 air show. I thought i had lost a bit of exhaust but there was still power there.
    See the videos below, it doesn't sound right, almost like something is trying to burst out of the engine casing. Has anyone heard/had this before, is it terminal?

2. mate that dont sound good!! did the oil light go out on the dash??

3. No, no oil light, checked the bubble too and all was fine. No oil anywhere on the bottom of the bike that it shouldn't be either.

4. Sounds like only one cylinder!

Carefully check exhaust pipe heat and start with taking plugs out.

5. It did sound first thing this morning like only one cylinder was firing, every now and again. Do i take one plug out at a time and see if anything changes?

6. Have you checked the exhaust manifolds, that bubbly noise at the end sounded like a loose manifold. Can't see how that would effect the electrics though.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I did think that Steve as i was riding along, sounded like a bit of the exhaust was missing. I'll check it tomorrow, was all too hot to touch just now. Looks ok to the eye though.

8. That bubbly poppy sound sounds like a plug has come unscrewed to me. Doesn't explain the electrical gremlins though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. That was my thought before I read the other posts on the thread. Sounds like a spark plug has come out. :Nailbiting:

10. That was my first thought but Paved says it still had power so that threw me off that idea.
    Steve

11. Just listened again. It doesn't sound like a mechanical knock to me. It sounds like air pumping from the spark plug hole.

I'll be interested to hear what it turns out to be in the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Forgot to add, I also had an SW 0004 error flash up on the dash when trying to start it at 2pm.

13. like everyone has said check your plugs, my 999s sounded like that few years ago just before firing itself out and making a right bloody mess and and costing me a fair few quid! my mechanic said its the first time he had ever seen it and thinks it may have been overtightened..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Not a lambda blown out?

15. Low battery voltage; I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. When he blips the throttle, it just wants to fart and die. I would have thought the lambda probe (or blank) popping out would just increase the noise a little.

• Like Like x 1
  17. You're right, but there's defo some compression escaping from somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rectifier?

19. Sounds like it's only firing in one pot. Start with the simple things: Check battery voltage as if it's too low all words of weird stuff will happen as the ECU stuggles to do everything asked of it and to supply power to the ignition etc.

Next check all the leads and connections from the battery are right including the earth connections.

Check the low tension cables have not come loose from the ignitor packs.

Keep working towards the plugs checking as you go. Make sure that there's no water or condensation anywhere, Dukes hate damp electrics!
    Finally pull the plugs and look for significant differences in colour.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Thanks gents.
    I do want to replace the battery, what's the one to go for for the 1198, is it a Yuasa? Are there issues with having them on a charger?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information