1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Another Cracked Speedo Display!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by DRR117, Mar 9, 2017.

1. So why has mine cracked then genius? Ducati screen fitted from the factory. The double bubble reason is just an excuse. Plenty bikes out there with them that haven't got cracks in the dash. I've ran a double bubble screen on every bike I've owned previously and guess what no cracks.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. I decided to post a comment on the Ducati UK twitter account, what do ya know! within 15 minutes I have an email response to my customer service emails. they suggest I take it to a local Ducati dealership to get sorted, but made no promise of it being done FOC or for less than £800. they want a copy of my V5 to prove ownership etc... Moto Rapido were not at all interested so thats one major dealer out of the frame, so I'll call Riders in while to see what they have to say.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's my belief that it is caused by brake fluid. I have seen plastics craze after contact with the stuff. You might not even notice it's presence but a very slight film leaked from the master cylinders will cause the plastic to craze and crack.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thats a new one on me but makes sense as the fluid would attack the plastic, but it would also cloud it prior to it cracking. I am so fussy with my bike I'm 100% sure that there is no fluid leaking. When ever I change the fluid I always wrap the screen in a new microfibre towel, I then wedge clean towels everywhere! It's like an operating theatre! :) Sad maybe but I learnt the lesson the hard way many years ago on a Kawasaki!

5. Not very helpful I know, but I also have an as new spare dash for the 1198 :) Purchased for £28 of ebay and tested to be in good working order since purchase...

They do come up for sale in the UK from time to time if you keep an eye out for them ;)

6. Sorry bud, I'd love to help you out. But, the spare I have is the original from my bike and the one currently fitted was fitted by JHP with some functionality changes for track days.

Sods law says that if I sold my spare, the one on my bike would crack ! :Arghh:

Good luck in getting one. Surely a dealer must have an NG one you could buy where the screen is OK. Have you tried calling any?

7. Show off ! :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Is that up for sale? :) Pleaseeeeee

9. I spoke to Riders Caridff and fairplay they are trying their best to help me, but as the bike is 9 year old it's looking unlikley that I'll have any joy. So back to the hunt.

When I search on eBay I look for dash clocks, dash screen, speedo unit, but wondering if there is a better way of searching.

'Ducati 1098 Dash clocks'

Pretty much every search result comes back with clocks costing between £250 - £600! Second hand!

10. Unfortunately not, bought when one come along as mine also has small crack but not changed it yet as it isn't big enough to annoy me yet. Keep your eye out on flea bay as they do come up from breakers at reasonable prices from time to time ;)

11. That seems to be the going rate for known good ones that have had the titles on the adverts worded well... Was the same when I was looking, then I searched for 'Ducati clocks' and trawled through that search and bingo! Spotted it at £125.00 starting price with 2 days to run, watched it finish with no bids and asked seller to re-list the item... Watched the auction end again with no bids. Then got in touch with the seller and asked how much he was willing to accept, he started at £75 and we agreed at £28 including postage:D

My advice would be... Ride the bike, enjoy it and be patient and one will come your way sooner or later ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Good advice there, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seems a shame to give up on Ducati because of this, clearly its the final straw so to speak but everything goes wrong by either design error, cheap materials or planned obsolescence. I'm on my 3rd Ducati now, yes I've had a few niggles but nothing to push me away from the brand. I've owned many cars in the past and most have had something fail, TV's fail, computers fail. I repair machinery for a living, if nothing failed I'd be out of work pretty quick, failure is part of my life but repairing, carrying on and making things better are what keep some people going.
    I think as a few may have said, I'd look out for a Donor dash, if you can find one thats in nice shape outside but fried internally that'd be the go. Utilise the carcass and happy days
    Hope you find a good solution and don't be too hasty to get back on the rice rockets, they may be reliable but.......they ain't no hot blooded temperamental Italian;)

14. Loads of 999s (and other bikes, as stated) have seen this issue, it's nothing new.

15. It's not the fact something has failed, as you said that is to be expected. It's the fact that the fault is widespread and that it appears nothing can be done asides from me accepting the crazing and cracks as part of the bike moving forward, or buying a new unit at £800+ or take a risk in buying a second hand unit which could craze in the post on the way to me!

As I said if it was a faulty slave cylinder or something that is a moving mechanical part that failed due to wear I'd accept it. But this is £800 for the sake of a piece of plastic which probably cost a few pound to make! Digitek must have made spares and Ducati must have access to them. Why blatantly alienate the customer by making them spend such a crazy amount to sort out such an inexpensive part? There is no sense in it other than they are a big company and the customer doesn't count.

I could actually buy a 60" 4K TV for the price of the new replacement display unit.

16. You'd definitely have no defence if caught speeding with a set of 60" clocks laid out before you!:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. It does suck TBF but there are bigger sinners out there also brandishing a prestigious logo. Labour of love some might call it. BMW mini's are renowned for shit gearboxes that aren't serviceable, TVR's are full of horror stories, Audi flywheels shit themselves between 60-70K miles the list is endless.
    See how you go with Ducati UK
    Best of luck which ever route you take :thumbsup:

18. :) It's a lot of money to find, especially when it's to sort out a problem that shouldn't really exist in the first place. And when the issue could be solved for very little money but nobody cares about it, it's a kick in the teeth, and as much as I love my bike out of sheer principle thats me done with Ducati, unless of course they do actually do something for me, I am in discussion with them, so far I'm not getting the brush off, so we'll see. If they look after me I'll have my faith restored and keep the bike a little longer and consider p/x for a new bike at some stage. If not then I'll be getting an R1, it sounds like a v-twin or maybe v4 but has the build and reliability you'd expect with a JAP bike.

#78 gremlyng, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  19. I agree Ducati are not alone - But then if you compare the cost of the 1098s with the same sort of level of car (if thats possible) I would think we are talking a 60K car which the manufacturers of do often resolve things fairly especially in todays world of forums and social media. They can ill afford the bad press!

Thanks for the best wishes Andy, Much appreciated

I used to own a Honda Civic 2.2 Derv (I know boring :) ) but when I discovered the clutch sliping and that it was common issue with the dual mass flywheel I tried to sort it with the dealer they wanted no involvment so I nursed the car and sold it on and vowed to never buy another Honda on principle. I stand by that I'll never buy anther Honda, I know it will make no difference to them but I feel a hell of a lot better knowing that once bitten twice shy! A mug of me they will no longer make!

20. I did the same after VW Audi were useless with my A3 3 months outside warranty. Now they own Ducati......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information