1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody Fitted A Satnav To A 1200r Yet?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MonsterGB, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Good man. I waterproofed the connectors on my install with clear bathroom sealant, and then covered in electrical tape. However, the plan is never to go out in the rain - if possible ;)

2. I waterproofed them with this Self Amalgamating Waterproof Tape 10m Black | Maplin bloody excellent stuff, far better than insulating tape, it moulds itself to your plug and wire.

But for the cradle I needed a way of removing it, hence the waterproof connector, still used the tape on the wire to connector though.

3. :Jawdrop: coolio - thats on my shopping list then!

4. This looks like an excellent way to power up.

I'm going to give it a go next week on my Monster S.

Take it you've had no problems with it since?

5. All fine even in few hefty showers last week. Ran it by the dealer on the 600 mile service and they were fine with it.

6. As I have to get this done at the weekend I need to make sure about the connections. I'm working away so can't look at the bike. I presume you can pull the supply cable and connector out far enough to see colour coding for positive and negative connections?

Don't want to get that wrong.

7. Yes you can, I did it twice before I got right ;)

8. Yep, comes out far enough to see the black & red cables

9. Success. Soldered in a feed for the new TomTom and one for a neat little handlebar mounted usb port. Both working fine and the fact that its switched with the key is great...no flat battery.

Thanks very much guys, great info and great solution.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wooohoo :upyeah:

Now this means long rides out, as TomTom will take care of you :Woot:

11. Good to see a solution here. I need to do the same thing but didnt really want my satnav/phone holder hanging off one side of the handlebars. I realise there are not many other options tho.
    Would there be any way to mount a ball/ram mount off that steering damper fixing? Just wondering as might keep things more centralised and out of the wind as such. Im also keen on any advice for a decent waterproof holder for a iPhone 6S

12. PM me. As I've paid up for a Tomtom I don't suppose I'll be needing my 6s mount any more. Yup it's waterproof and mounts on a Ram ball mount.

13. @2bikemike super helpful that thanks.
    I'm going to pickup one of the Sumitomo plugs and it got me thinking about what outlet to take up to the bars. At first it seemed USB would be the most obvious as you have done, however at the end of the day personally I was just planning on using my iPhone as a "now and then" satnav reference (and figured it would be handy to have a power supply up there when the phone batt dies).

It got me thinking.. what else do you use the USB port to power? (besides that beer fridge you spoke about)

14. For me, nothing out of the ordinary - SatNav and iPhone. Still looking for a beer fridge that won't fall off the handlebars :Woot:

15. What about the Oxford Strap nav. It's easy to fit and waterproof too, fits any bike £30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Not a bad idea... In the end I went with the waterproof tigra option mounted on the RAM... with a sumitomo plug and a waterproof USB feed which I mounted on the frame on the right side. I just plug in a wire to it when I need some juice for the shat nav. See pics..... Cost about £26 all up

IMG_6519.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

#36 flatairbag, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  17. Looks great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Just bought myself a satnav for my Monster 1200 R and this might seem like a daft question, but can i just use the 2 way female connector to connect to the Ducati plug as I don't need the usb plugs.

19. Yes, that is what I have done, no USB stuff on my bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Would just like to say a BIG thank you to everyone who posted on this thread. Fitted my SatNav to my bike with no problems at all. Wired it into the plug on the left side of the frame. Made easy by all the previous posts. Now ready for my trip to the Aragon MotoGP. WP_20180210_001[1].jpg WP_20180210_003[1].jpg WP_20180210_004[1].jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information