1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

939 Hyperstrada Appreciate Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Rollin Bone, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Looking for your thought's on a dilemma I find myself in, traded in my much beloved KTM990 SMT 2 years ago for a Multi 1200 ST Skyhook awesome bike bit I feel that something is still missing. I find myself looking at used KTM's but they are all to old, also looked at the KTM 1290 but much too full on for my riding style. I would like to stay in the Ducati family and therefore find myself looking at the Hyperstrada, which might be the middle ground between the KTM 990 and the 1290. So should I trade in my Multi for a Hyper and if yes which one.

Appreciate any feedback.

Regards RB

2. Traded my 1200s multi for 821 Hypermotard sp to put more buzz back into my riding. As I rode the multi up to trade it I was having the" What am I doing, this is a great bike.." thoughts. Rode today and wheelied through 2nd 3rd an 4th for quarter mile plus. It just brings out the idiot in me...I can't help it.

#2 Big Nige, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Agree with Nigel. The hyper is ridiculously daft, makes me ride like a tw4t but is huge fun and cannot be replaced.

I have mastered the art of abusing it out of corners now so that it feels dangerous, just before the TC kicks in to save my ass.

Awesome fun.

On a more sensible note, I did 800 miles in a 36 hour period and it was comfy and faultless. So very practical too.

Only thing I'd say is that you should get a good 30 min test ride to decide. They feel 'unstable' compared to a normal bike, down to the geometry I'm told. Can be quite off putting coming from a 'normal' bike like the multi which no doubt feels planted.

4. If you are tall, I would instead go for the SP version. You can later on add a wind shield and panniers it will be the same BUT, BUT, BUT, you will have a bit higher spec and adjustable suspension of great quality. And I guarantee the SP version is even more nuts than the normal one IMO. I had an 821 and I was always lusting for the higher spec, now nobody can't tell me I don't have the right one.

In Wet it is civilised for touring if you want, I use sport in city and all is ok bike is controllable of course it "Begs" you to go to the open twisty roads, she is quite adrenalin-addict ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Agreed. I am 6'4" tall and my 939SP, with the DP Race seat, is terrific for me. Liked it all around so sold my Yamaha Super Tenere and added the Hyperstrada panniers for travel. And have the touring windscreen to put on for trips as well. Perfect for me.

6. I wanted the ohlins and marchesini wheels so bought a hypermotard sp939. But I have hyperstrada panniers on it for touring,best of both worlds. Only put them on for long jaunts.

7. in hindsight i wish i'd not the full term system as I'd really like to run with the panniers on my 939sp but switching to an aura at this stage would be far too costly

8. Ducati does make a left side only pannier kit for the high pipe bikes

9. Anyone got a pic of an SP with panniers?

I can't imagine it looks pretty.

10. i know, but IMHO that would look daft

11. it would look the same as a hyperstrada but red and white lol

12. Just put 1 pannier on for you,it's wet and I'm not getting it out lol. Twist of a key and it's off,or 8 bolts and 5 minutes the whole system is off,best of both worlds for me. IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1383.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  13. Haha love the indoor parking. Missus doesn't complain?

14. Mrs doesn't have a choice,next 1 goes in the kitchen lol

15. Check out Cycle World magazine long term test. They set their SP up for touring.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mines set up for hooning,10 minutes and the rails and panniers are back on,and ready for touring,I'd love a multi,but I love wheelies and jumping hump back bridges and dicking around. Hyper is perfect for me. Just want 1 with a pani motor in :tonguewink:

17. Pants on fire.........he's single! ;)

18. There be 1 in each room if I was single :grinning:

19. 160bhp monster motor would be ideal I think.

Why on earth they haven't made it I do not know. I'd be first in line.

20. Not enough idiots like me to buy 1 lol. Hyper sp sold eighty something sat year apparently. I just love bonkers bikes :tonguewink:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information