1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autoglym Metal Polish On Termi's

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Jim2wheels, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Pretty basic question, but I've been stung before using metal polish on bikes.

Can I use metal Autoglym metal polish on the exhaust ends without changing the original appearance and finish?

2. I clean carbon and grime off mine with brake cleaner then buff them up with a little ACF50 on a cloth. Brings them a treat and discourages crud from sticking. Doesn't burn if used sparingly on a cloth like a polish.

3. How have I been riding for 20 years and not heard of ACF50? Just had a quick Google and that stuff sounds great for all round metal protection.

I'll have a go at that tomorrow. Cheers!

4. Some people just use it for winter protection. I use sparingly all year round on all my bikes. Brings up plastics lovely as well. Avoid brakes, tyres, seat, grips and pegs. Everywhere else in moderation its your friend.
    Its corrosion protection rather than a penetrating oil. Very useful stuff.

5. I'll give it a go on the exhaust and see how I get on before going all out on it. It sounds like the sort of stuff that would go well on the wheels, but using stuff like this always feels high risk around these areas even if you spraying it on a cloth away from the bike.

The bike came with Ventureshield all over the front facing and usual wear points on the fairing and tank - seems like really good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It is really good on wheels. Shines them up and makes them easier to clean.
    I always run a rag sprayed with brake cleaner round the discs after using ACF50. In fact I do after washing anyway whether I've used ACF50 or not. Waxed shampoo doesn't do much for braking performance either and cleaning the discs only takes seconds.
    It does smoke if you get it on header pipes but I've never known it to leave a stain or residue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Going to put that sound advice into practice tomorrow afternoon.

Much appreciated.

8. WD40 works well for me

9. That's what I've always used on wheels, always open for improvement though.

10. Autoglym Metal Polish does what it says, it polishes metal.
    If you don't want to polish the metal, don't use it.

11. That's assuming you know the finish of the metal you're polishing. Which is why I asked the question. I'm fully aware it does what it says on the tin.

12. Either brushed titanium or carbon I'm guessing..

13. O
    If it's metal, it will be either stainless steel or titanium. The finish I would expect to be brushed, satin or polished, most probably satin.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information