1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Back On A 996s :-)

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Fastmonkey, Jul 1, 2015.

1. I had a 996s which I was "encouraged" to sell about 11 years ago and have always wanted another one. Here's my old one.

[​IMG]

I've searched extensively for one but there has always been something not quite right with the ones I've found but finally MCN classifieds came up trumps last week and I picked the bike up from Central London last night, interesting and very tourist inspired test ride !

It's a 1 owner from new bike supplied from CHris Clarke for those that remember them, with 9,900 miles and has a mountain of supporting docs including an eye watering £1746 service from Pro Twins in July last year with clutch, valve clearances, belts, rockers etc etc all done. It's got Ducati Performance front guard, v piece, hugger and chain guard and 50 mm termis. All supplied by main dealers and all with receipts in the pack.

The only downside is he'd had baffles put in the Termi's due to complaints from his neighbours ! They'd been in for about 8 years but they came out with a bit of encouragement ! So looking forward to riding it today with full noise !

Say no to baffles (useful to have though)

[​IMG]

Only pic I have for now:

[​IMG]

It's everything I remember, brilliant on smooth roads, absolutely terrible everywhere else, you can't see in the mirrors, my nads and right leg nearly melted riding in London last night, you can't really use anything other than 2nd gear under 50mph and it's viciously uncomfortable on the wrists. It's perfect :)

• Like Like x 14
  2. Congratulations :)

3. Thought you'd gone to the Darkside?

4. Shhh don't tell them about that bike..........

Just had a brilliant ride on it did about 50 miles sweeping A roads, forgotten how solid these things are in the corners.........

5. Soz...:Muted:

Went out on mine last night, was glad to get off the rattling, clanking, ball roasting trollop! :Meh:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Other than the fact they are both sports bikes they couldn't be any more different in character really.

7. Congratulations, I also managed to get my hands on a 996s 2years ago. I can't recommend enough fitting a power commander, as the fueling at 4500rpm was terrible..[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nice one but there's only one problem

More pictures !!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ^^^ I'll get some more at the weekend.

10. Lovely stuff. Getting back on a 996 is a great feeling isnt it. I sold my last Ducati back in 2001 and only got my current 996 in 2013. After 12 years of riding screaming jap 4 cylinder bikes, the test ride on the 996 alone gave me goosebumps.

Like you, it took a lot of searching to get the "right" bike and it looks like you have found a winner.

Id definitely recommend dropping a tooth on that front sprocket. That made a world of difference to mine, especially around town where normally you would have to keep it in 1st gear.

11. I think there are a few things I would like to do it, sort the gearing as advised above, get an oberon slave and potentially get the fueling done. However I am completely flat broke after buying this so it will all have to wait ! I'm thankful for the previous owners mods so for this year I'll just be enjoying it in it's current state and hopefully next year I can make these subtle tweaks.

12. my one hasn't turned a wheel in anger for around 2 years, the belts were changed oil etc, just so that I can keep the engine spinning over at regular interval just for a few secs, I had thought of getting rid of it, but then see how much people regret it when they part with it, so will hang onto it for longer :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Here's a quick one for you, taken this morning before a brilliant ride down into West Sussex. I'm so into this bike, you have to put so much effort into riding it and I'm really enjoying that

Looking forward to stripping it's clothes off and giving it a proper inspection and clean up at the weekend.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  14. All washed and cleaned and inspected over the weekend and a couple more pics. It's in great condition, small boot scratch on the rear seat unit and about 6 stone chips on the nose and 1 on the tank. Will try and touch them up but not sure on paint match.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. Looks really nice :upyeah:

16. Looks virtually identical to mine! :)

17. Good looker you've got there. Making me think I need to fill the gap, just don't know where I'd keep it though.

18. I'd like to bring it indoors tbh !

19. Still the most stunning bike design ever if you ask me.

Mine is a 748 and as said these bikes only do one thing well and that is to ride it hard.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Do it :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information