1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Charging/alarm Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Wiggy, Jan 10, 2017.

1. I've just connected my optimate 4 to the previously fitted battery tender on my new 899 Panigale. When I set the alarm it starts going off after a few seconds. Surely the alarm can be on while the battery is charging? Any suggestions or help appreciated!

2. Normally yes, depending upon the alarm and/or the battery voltage. If the battery was extremely discharged for example. Generally bike alarms are useless and annoying. They do not stop thieves and they do not reduce insurance costs but they do often cause the owner loads of hassle. Disconnect it and get a tracker.

3. Thanks Pedro. It's the standard Ducati alarm and even with the battery fully charged it goes off with the charger connected. I'm still none the wiser!

4. Maybe that type of alarm is monitoring the battery voltage? Is this a feature that can be disabled? Check the manual or speak to the dealer. Else bin the alarm [emoji2]

5. Do they come with alarms? I didn't think mine had one

6. As far as I know, since April 2013 all new Ducati bikes have come with the Ducati security system as standard.

7. I thought that was just the immobiliser though. I may be wrong.

I've have a 2014 899 and I've never managed to set an alarm off

8. Ah, you may be right there Mike. I have a 2015 899 and it definitely has a Ducati alarm but maybe that was an optional extra. I'm unsure as I bought the bike second hand. It's under the rear seat and you have a fob to turn it on/off. You'd definitely know if you had one. It's a good alarm, I just don't see why it goes off if I have the battery charger plugged in!

9. Bin that bike , obv just source of trouble

10. Ah that makes sense.

I would like to think that a genuine Ducati charger (the one that plugs in under the seat) would work ok. Do you know of anyone who has one you could borrow? That is the extent of my knowledge though!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information