1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt Marking..is It Necessary?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Troutman, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Just got my new belts for my 1000SS from Exige and looking at the vids on Youtube particularly the ducatitech (Chris Kelly)one getting prepared to change them over.
    Question is, is it really necessary to mark the belts with a paint marker and count the teeth etc..?
    If you make sure all the dots are lined up, I can't see how you can be a tooth out on the belts between pulleys!! can you?? There isn't enough slack is there?
    If one of the cam pulleys move, you just try it back by hand and fit the new belt.
    Only asking because I want to do it tonight and I haven't got a marker suitable.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've changed scores of belts and have never marked the belts. If you make sure everything is lined up properly you won't go wrong.

3. No need, never marked mine before.
    Steve

4. Just a check really, made me feel better when I did it for the first time

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cheap cam holder tool.Steal or borrow wife's chopping board,Mark out a template out of card,cut plastic chopping board to the size that is needed,Mark out plastic use dermal and small round file to shape.Attach bolt for handle.
    IMPORTANT:return chopping board and say that you have been making space in kitchen to make wife's life easier.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Our chopping board is a handmade solid Walnut and also I only have 1 cam wheel (2V). I like the way you made space for the knife rack though, that's clever...lucky woman.

7. Yea that's what I keep telling her.

8. Jonny Cab..that's it

9. Yea mate cool film that one.Did you watch the u-tube guy doing belt change,Sounds like he is from up north.

10. Yeah I think so, is it this one?

11. Never marked belts, as said if it lines up with (or even close to) the dots then it can't be wrong.

As for the vertical cylinder cam holder tool for 4v engines, I bought one thinking that it would help stop the intake cam from springing away when fitting the belt but as my cams have been degreed and are now not quite aligned with the dots it doesn't fit, only a fraction out but there's no give in the belt so I have to do it the tricky (need 3 hands) way.

12. No it's not,just realised the video is for 4v 916.Still good to watch though.

13. Though I'd better get a new chopping board,as I'm needing a rocker arm re chromed,new valve stem seal,shims,new belts.
    Now she has two.....lucky woman.

image.jpeg

14. Oooh that's special...you might get lucky
    I'm not going to mark them, i'll let you all know how I get on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. @Dukedesmo Did you notice a significant difference after you had your cams 'Degreed'?

16. Yes but it was done as part of an engine tune; gasflowed heads which were also skimmed 1mm - the skim moving the head closer to the engine which then required a larger idler pulley to regain the belt tension which in turn moves the valve timing due to taking up the excess belt length on one side only.

Degreeing the cams on their own probably wouldn't make much, if any difference. Unless of course they were out in the first place?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I marked the belts .........can't possibly get it wrong.............

..............unless you can't count.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. But how can you get it wrong..I can't see how you could be a tooth out...surely there is not enough slack between the pulleys for the belt to allow you to choose between 3 teeth (i.e. 1 either side of the correct one.) It's approx 9.5mm between teeth! Maybe I should just mark them and get all confused with trying to count over 6.

19. It's a belt and braces approach - two marking systems to ensure you can't fuck it up.
    Personally I've never marked belts and have changed mine for the last 10 years now.
    55k miles on the Hypermotard and still going!

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information