1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt Tension Measuring App

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Old rider, Mar 12, 2015.

1. The bar is for the microphone, not the frequency. The frequency readout is purely digital.
    The blue line on the microphone bar indicates the preset trigger level for a reading. If your plucking is too quiet for the green indication of the signal level to reach the blue bar, you can reduce the trigger level under 'settings'.
    If you want to alter the trigger level you will need to switch off the microphone with the virtual switch button to the left of the microphone bar first.
    My interpretation of the limited range of frequencies is that it is designed to exclude readings of irrelevant background noises, only taking readings from sounds within a range that is likely to be from your plucking of a drive belt.

2. Thanks for your explanation Old rider. Got it now, thought I was missing a display of the wave form.

Seems to work very well, and as you say no more sore thumbs.

3. Fingers crossed...;)

4. I think its important to remember that the 110Hz is the frequency for new belts, tested on the longest section of the belt. Once the belts have 'settled in', I seem to recall the expected frequency should be circa 90Hz.

5. Quite so, I think Chris Kelley makes that point in his video of how to change belts on a 999.
    In fact, his ExactFit belts stretch less than the Gates ones, so he has revised his recommendation for new fit of his belts down from 110 to 100, if I remember correctly.

Have checked and it's actually 99 for some strange reason.
    Below is a link to a bulletin from ducati I lifted from Ducati.ms
    It details recommended tension for both new and in-service belts. They don't seem to recommend retentioning unless the belts are below 70 Hz, which is pretty amazing.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachm...4d1359599448-hertz-belts-999-belt-tension.jpg

#25 Old rider, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Make up your minds. Red998 is stalking about loudness and Old Rider about frequency :rolleyes:
    Presuming frequency, that for 2V engines is 145Hz so 120Hz is too low.
    And it doesn't matter what the display looks like as long as it reads the correct figure easily.

7. Yes, I always used the Allen key method on my SS, so didn't realise how much higher the frequency is for a 2 valve. Sadly, this app won't work for the 2 valve motors then, as 120Hz is too low a limit.
    I ignored the db instead of Hz, as it was clearly a slip.
    Yes, it's function that's important here, not style.

8. Have added to the above post

9. Worked on my iPhone - it automatically asked to use the mic when I first turned the app on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I thought it was 110hz for all engines?

11. All previous and new model Ducati’s requiring belt tensioning now will be standardized to the below specifications.

IMPORTANT: When checking and adjusting timing belt tension at the recommended scheduled maintenance intervals, if tension reading is less than 70 Hz (minimum allowed value on all Ducati motorcycles), reset belt tension as follows:

Refer to the appropriate shop manuals for cam timing procedure and belt tension setup, then reset to the below tensions for service.

Model
    Belt tension spec for new belts upon replacement
    Belt tension adjustment settings for used belts when inspected value is determined to be 70 Hz or less

All models:
    Streetfighter, 1198, 1098, 1098R 999, 998, 996, 916, 848, 749, M1100, MS4, MS4R, MS4RS, ST4, SC, ST3, ST2, SS1000 HYM 1100, MTS 1100,MTS 1000, MS2R 1000, M696, MS2R 800, M620, M400, M695, SS800, MTS 620

New Belts:
    110 Hz +/- 5, Horizontal and Vertical *

Used Belts:
    90-100 Hz +/- 5, Horizontal and Vertical *

* Please note, these values may be inaccurate on previous Ducati Technical Data posters and service manuals. Data listed above should be considered the new standard and supersedes all previous bulletins and documentation. Please print and post this bulletin to be displayed with the most current Ducati service poster.

Sincerely,

Ducati North America
    Service Department

12. Managed to get my Iphone app working now, I needed to turn on the microphone in settings, so that's all sorted thanks.

I read that the tension is 110hz +\- 5 hz. as per below. From Ducati Up North.

"Updated Belt tension settings
    Thanks to Derek for this

Sonic Belt Tension - Ducati update
    The following service bulletin has been issued by Ducati North America. Note that the specs are now the same for all models 2V and 4V. There are a few omissions from the list - 748 and ST4s, but I would think that's just an oversight.

All previous and new model Ducati’s requiring belt tensioning now will be standardized to the below specifications.

IMPORTANT: When checking and adjusting timing belt tension at the recommended scheduled maintenance intervals, if tension reading is less than 70 Hz (minimum allowed value on all Ducati motorcycles), reset belt tension as follows:

Refer to the appropriate shop manuals for cam timing procedure and belt tension setup, then reset to the below tensions for service.

Model
    Belt tension spec for new belts upon replacement
    Belt tension adjustment settings for used belts when inspected value is determined to be 70 Hz or less

All models:
    Streetfighter, 1198, 1098, 1098R 999, 998, 996, 916, 848, 749, M1100, MS4, MS4R, MS4RS, ST4, SC, ST3, ST2, SS1000 HYM 1100, MTS 1100,MTS 1000, MS2R 1000, M696, MS2R 800, M620, M400, M695, SS800, MTS 620

New Belts:
    110 Hz +/- 5, Horizontal and Vertical *

Used Belts:
    90-100 Hz +/- 5, Horizontal and Vertical *

* Please note, these values may be inaccurate on previous Ducati Technical Data posters and service manuals. Data listed above should be considered the new standard and supersedes all previous bulletins and documentation. Please print and post this bulletin to be displayed with the most current Ducati service poster.

Sincerely,

Ducati North America
    Service Department"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Wow, that's an enormous difference from the previous specs for the 2 valve engines, I wonder why?
    Can't help wondering if it's to eliminate confusion among Ducati technicians who were perhaps using two valve specs on four valve motors?
    Safer to have a low tension on two valve than a high tension on four valve??

Whatever, 145 down to 110 - it's a huge change...

#33 Old rider, Mar 13, 2015
  14. Possibly to reduce loadings on the pulley and camshaft bearings?

15. Just checked- recommended tension for ExactFit 2valve belts is 99 but safe up to 110!

#35 Old rider, Mar 13, 2015
  16. Yup or to extend the life of the belt or maybe just to standardise the settings.

17. It would be interesting to know the reason why. Might be worth an email to ask Ducati for their reasons.

18. I can ask CaCycleworks...

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have G-strings on my android and thought I might try the Gates app, no sign of it anywhere on Play Store.
    Steve

20. on the Apple app store, it's much easier to find if you look under Gates Corporation

Do Not Sell My Personal Information