1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Big Oil Leak!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by no-way85, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Ok, so I took the bike out on Sunday and it got it's first proper run, A roads, some dual/motorway all under 6k revs but accelerating at a reasonable pace.

When I got back I noticed that was oily residue on the left exhaust, a few on here suggested it was simply chain lube melting and dripping down.

I rode to work today and the bike was out in the sun and on my Blade i'd get some petrol escaping out of the overflow where the tank got so hot. Same thing I assumed today when I saw wet patches under bike. Rode home and noticed that there were drip marks all over the rear hugger, and could see oil dripping down under the bike. Closer look showed the whole engine case covered in oil!

Took a look at the oil level (admittedly for the 1st time) and it was at the top of the window! Over filled by the dealer on delivery I assume?! Could that have caused too much pressure and for a seal to break or worse?

Have emailed the dealer tonight and demanded they collect the bike ASAP. Any thoughts?

IMG_4462.JPG IMG_4463.JPG IMG_4464.JPG IMG_4465.JPG IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

2. Check that the rear cam cover hasn't been caught up or damaged during production. Its an easy fix by your dealer.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. ;)

#3 Hyperextended, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'll try and have a closer look tomorrow, any other thoughts as to what it could be?

5. I'll see how efficiently they handle this 1st... Part with £17k and 4 days and 160 miles I get this, I wasn't expecting Japanese reliability but...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Easy fella; we as dealers don't take off the cam covers or anything like it at PDI. If a cam cover is nicked or not 100% in the correct position, it could easy take many dozens of miles for the oil to work its way through before it shows itself as a leak.
    We only take them for a run for 7 or 8 miles as part of a PDI.

I don't know who the dealer is but IF this is what it is, the chances are that the dealer wouldn't have a chance in hell to spot it.

So don't blame the dealer, blame the manufacturer; or in fact don't blame anyone until you know what the problem is; bikes are built by humans and sometimes humans make mistakes. It'll be fixed and that'll be the end of that.

#6 Martin Ducati Glasgow, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. As long as it's fixed in good time i'll be happy. If I can get a loan bike from them all the better! Was just starting to really get into how it was handling as well :tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
  8. ;)

#8 Hyperextended, Jul 6, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Unfortunately not from here but don't worry; it'll get sorted. You've got a peach of a bike there (I'm on my third Pani) so it's gonna be worth a wee repair like this.
    Again assuming I am right with the diagnosis, and u get a time slot that works, it's a while-U-wait job. Shouldn't take much more than 1.5-2 hours.

10. Dealer is about 60 miles away unfortunately, and probably not worth risking riding it there. Hopefully they can collect it in the next couple of days.

11. Of course we do and of course we should. But a drip of hot oil looks like a helluva lot more down the side of our bikes. The bike could have shed just 50cc of oil and you'll hardly see it in the window unless you are monitoring it super closely.

It just looks terrible on the bike.

12. ;)

#12 Hyperextended, Jul 6, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Overfilling does that. I had it with my 1199 recently after changing the oil and filter. I'm not sure why but it was like it collected somewhere and was only showing as half full as normal. A few track sessions later and it was overfill on the spy hole and pushing out of the seals. I just emptied some out and it's fine since but it was irritating as I was careful when filling and ran the engine etc. It must be filter related as I change oil after every trackday or two and it hasn't happened before . I would t be concerned otherwise, as said above a little oil can look a big mess.

• Like Like x 1
  14. So just removing some of the oil sorted it? Not had a problem since?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes all fine and it did a bunch of hard sessions at Spa hitting 185mph so deffo would have known.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fingers crossed it turns out to be that simple for mine

17. Probably overfilled with oil and its chucked some into the air box and its then found a leak path out and run down your rear cylinder.

You could lift the tank and have a peek in the airbox just to check it out, would ease your mind a lot :confused:

Lifting the tank is quite easy really, take you 15 mins, pm me if you want a step by step talk through how to do it.

I know you shouldn't have to do it, but if the dealer is 60 miles away, I would have a quick peek before I went back to the dealer all guns blazing!!

Poucher

18. Just another though and its probably wrong...........

Its not fluid being chucked out of the rear brake reservoir is it?? very doubtful but it will take a couple of seconds to check ;)

19. Be careful of the loom on the left side if you do lift the tank. It's easy to catch it when you put the tank back down.

20. No it's definitely engine oil, and a fair amount of it. How much can realistically be blown out of the air box?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information