1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw S1000rr

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Monners, Jan 30, 2016.

1. So got made redundant this week and decided to celebrate being a jobless bum by taking a test ride on a s1000rr in the pouring rain. The bike was ridiculous and I've put down a deposit and trading in the KTM 1190 Adventure R!

I've been looking for a do everything bike since before buying the KTM. I thought the KTM would be the one but despite being a great bike in the twisties I couldn't get around how big and heavy the Adventure bikes are and the lack of wind and weather protection at high speed. Plus you get a full on death wobble once into triple figures which was only made worse when I put the more Offroad orrientated tyres on. Offroad on a big ass Adventure bike is just a silly idea, it's only really good for long open dirt tracks with the odd more hardcore stuff, and this is the most Offroad capable of the Adv bikes as well. Very much marketing over reality IMO, I blame Ewen McG and co.

I tried a Tuono last month and whilst one of the best bikes I've ridden I decided a naked was no good due to the weather protection thing again.

After watching a few vids of the S1000RR on typical British slippery roads (see 44teeth) I thought maybe it was worth checking out. I took the bike down the A272 near Alton in the rain and greasy muddy roads and over 'little Switzerland' a windy hairpin route over the hills between the A272 and Farringdon and the BMW blew my mind. It was absolutely rock solid even at silly speeds in atrocious conditions. I've taken the Panigale through there in bad weather before and it's a pretty hairy experience. The BMW felt safer than the KTM, and this was in Race mode as well so the electronics were turned down. It didnt feel intrusive, it just kind of did it's thing in the background. It would spin up the rear but it just took it in it's stride and cracked on without worrying me at all, very impressive. It's not got the sex appeal of the Pani and I actually think the Panigale is more comfortable as your legs are a bit cramped on the BMW but otherwise it's such a good bike. Very much like the difference between a BMW M3 and a Ferrari. No one will commute in a Ferrari but the M3 is just about as capable but much more practical if not as sexy. The sound is awesome , pops and bangs on overrun and it has silly amounts of bells and whistles. Heated grips on a 200bhp race bike is hilarious but so so welcome in bad weather!
    I have to wait a month or so for delivery but I've managed to negotiate their S1000RR hire bike for five days for a trip to see the family :)

Hope I can find another job otherwise I'll be rentboy to keep the bikes going!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Sorry to hear about your redundancy , I'm also sorry you are a hairy bloke which I don't want to rent.

Congrats on the s1k , I assume it's 2015 ( 2016) bike. This is def on top of my hit list as a replacement for the 899. I ride most days at the mo so need an all (ish) yr bike. I appreciate it's subjective but really don't mind the looks ( not enamoured with any of the paint schemes - black is passable but I'm not a huge fan of black ones as you sometimes loose detail) .
    Owners seem to love them , dealers seem spot on , and the ride is supposed to be sublime.

The guy who fits my tyres has a 2010 bike from new with over 30k on it which is used daily in all weathers, never let him down once. He's commuted , tracked , toured & shopped on it.

What spec have you gone for? , did you get the free Akras? , Will really appreciate some on going reviews after you get it (& pics of course)

#2 Rosso, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. I got made redundant in October, took a couple of months out to enjoy the 899 and thanks to the generous package treated my self to the Scrambler. Started a new job in January so if it's any consolation, won't be competing with you on the rent boy front!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I wish you speedy employment obviously but can we strike a deal on me having first refusal?

Congratulations on the bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Blimey, you've gone full circle. From adventure bike to maybe a supernaked but one that wouldn't be too sporty to egg you on, to one of the most full-on sports bikes out there. A mate has a 2010 RR and its a great machines but too uncompromising for me. I think the new bike is a lot more road-friendly than the original. His is really cramped and does feel like a pure-bred track bike. Think they've even got heated grips now haven't they?
    One word of warning. I was at a BMW dealer with this mate last summer. He was thinking about trading his RR in for a new one. Unfortunately the demo bike wasn't available because one of the mechanics had ridden it home the day before and fallen off it in a low-side at a roundabout. On the right hand side of the engine there is an engine cover peeping out behind the fairing which is the first thing to touch down. Don't know what it is - alternator cover maybe. Don't know. But whatever it is, it is very flat and very thin. In what should have been a minor low speed slide at 30 mph (he says...) this cover had been ground away completely and the crank cases were a whisker away from being filed through. This is a bike that needs crash protection.
    Enjoy the bike and good luck with the job hunting.

6. Congratulations on your new bike royalwithcream.Lovely bike-an elderly friend of mine has one and is delighted with it.I looked at one at Bahnstormer a few weeks back and was sorely tempted.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm in the same boat (walked out of my job)

Enjoying the time off at the moment, when I start chewing through money I'll start working again lol

I very nearly purchased an s1k when I got my 899. They're a real weapon. For me I couldn't justify all that power on the road. The engine on those things is like a nuclear reactor, and it's very, very easy to speed on them. Best part of a 100mph in 1st!

• Like Like x 2
  8. I demo'd one a few years ago, have to say never felt do disapointed with such a hyped up bike. It was as memorable as a Vauxhall Vectra!

I do hear the latest incarnation is a better package

9. The first ones were peaky and, for me, had quite an extreme riding position. My mate's 2010 RR feels like a track bike. He has a brother who's got an R1. The Yam feels like a roomy sports tourer in comparison. I think the latest ones are a different proposition though. BMW like most manufacturers have understood that in real life sports bikes get ridden on the road.

10. Just out of interest, what did you find disappointing ?

11. I hired a 2015 S1000RR at Almeria for a couple of days last year, and found it an astounding piece of kit. Would have been better with the slick mode activated. Possibly the fastest thing I have ever ridden, not to sure I believed the 57' lean angle it showed though. Brakes were awful and faded badly but that could have been the second hand pads that were fitted. First time I have ever used traction control and to pin the throttle leant over at 57'(????!!!) in second gear was something else. But.......riding a crossplane R1 on the road and a Ducati on track (when it stays together) it left me a bit cold. Still a fantastic experience though

• Like Like x 1
  12. I found the BMW ballisticly fast. To me it felt faster than anything else I'd ridden.

When I recieved my Panigale, also in the van was a beautiful very nearly new HP4 Carbon. It was going to a BWM dealership. I was told it had originally been sold to a vertically challenged guy in his 50's who had bought it as his first bike having recently passed his test. It was too high & too powerful and so the chap had traded it for an 800 (821?) Monster.

13. I had a haircut if that helps, I look much more acceptable to society now!

Yes it's the new one. I've added on the light wheels and the electronics package, those were both a no brainer really. You need the electronics thing to disable wheelie control and make it a hooligan :)
    What your tyre guy does is pretty much my intention. I've paid out £299 for hybridX nano coating thing that guarantees no corrosion for three (edit - more than ten years!) years. Motorbike Coating I want to look at the small print of that a bit more as it seems a bit too good to be true, but it looked worthwhile on a bike I intend to use all year. Anyone tried it? I bought the 3M Ventudreshield for the 1199 but never actually got around to fitting it!

#13 Monners, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rather nice day for a ride today :) my mate has been testing one as well and is about to sign on the line. I've got the hire bike for a week now and going to blast down to Cornwall and do the north coast a39 road with my bro. Overall I still prefer the Ducati but the Beamer wins hands down as an everyday bike. I couldn't take the Ducati out through the salted British winter roads as I like to keep it looking good but even if you do the 1199 is a handful in icy conditions. The Bmw didn't bat an eyelid yesterday. Panigale and s1000r is the dream combination in my eyes now I've tried it in shit weather!

image.jpeg

#14 Monners, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  15. I hope Ducati don't compromise any more towards the road handling. The R is the only one that really turns me on above the 1199s at the moment. The 1299s might be more practical but I still wouldnt want to abuse it on a commute everyday. It's a ~5k premium over the bmw and seems a waste to treat it like that.

16. Not engaging at all, didnt feel like anything special, no heads were turned.

Turbine smooth engine with more than enough power, but for me it should be about the whole experience not just power. I still say my 999 was more fun to ride than my Pani

That was back in 2013 Id be interested to see how then have evolved.

17. That's fair enough. Each to their own. I'd agree to a degree that they don't give you the buzz. Most beamers I've ridden have been pretty 'detatched'. They are a weapon though for sure.

18. Wasnt december was it, after 1098 gearbox gave up?

19. Talk me through this nano technology you have had done , slightly off topic but does sound to good to be true , can it be applied to downpipes and engine cases ;)

20. As much as I loathe the number of GS Warriors on the road, I look at their S1000 series bikes with no little interest. Couldn't agree more about the adventure bike problem, that's why I swapped from the Mult to the MV Turismo Veloce.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information