1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boiler & Smart Thermostat Advice

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by JH_1986, Sep 22, 2015.

1. You'll love this then... I just talk to the room and it adjusts it for me [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Have you removed the starter motor from your bike and fitted a cranking handle? :)

I can check on my iPhone what temperature the house is and turn the heating on so that's it's nice and toastie for my arrival home. Or just tell the app what time I'm going to be home and it'll work out what time to turn the heating on to reach the desired temperature. It's the future. :D

3. Stop taking the piss

Sent from my Typewriter using a pigeon

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Haven't looked into it all properly yet, but first impressions I like the idea of the Energenie MiHome heating stuff. Appears to be individual control of every radiator, fairly expensive though

5. All using fake industry devices to do things which make you fat and lazy, then.

What's wrong with putting on a pullover and saing heating costs that way?

I hope this country does go backward 50 years with Brexit and wakes a few people up.

6. Why can't you wait until you get home and turn the heat on............you don't live in a French chateau where it takes three hours to warm up, do you?

7. Talk about lazy...............I guess you phone/text your wife to get your dinner ready while you just sit there.

8. Oui :) :france:

9. i have the nest now a couple of years and also bought the smoke alarms... great pieces of kit

10. How much do all this nest stuff cost?

By the time you factor all that in - you probably have more than a 5 year payback on ANY savings

I have 5 individual timers and thermostats - which basically always keep house between 17 and 22 degrees depending on time day.

I did a trial where i just did timed on and off and teh difference in Gas used was about £10 over the month (winter)

So at best - maybe £60 a year saving for having the house cold to hot on a timer only.

So how long would it take to payback? How long a guarantee do these things have before they breakdown?

Seems to me they are more technology for the sake of technology to make money for the industry.

But that is my 2 cents...

11. s
    I live on my own and work out of the country 6 months of the year, so when im coming home (in the winter months)
    when i land into the UK i can just turn it on so the house isn't like a freezer when i get home, and also whilst i am away if there is smoke or potential
    fire whilst im out the country i get notified straight away so i can act on it.

The Thermostat was £179 fitted (cant remember the guarantee on it)
    The Smoke alarms are £89 each (i have 4 of them positioned throughout the house)

If the smoke alarms pick up on gas in the house it shuts off the boiler ignition to prevent any explosions

if i leave the heating on by mistake and get in bed and cant be arsed going back downstairs.. no problem

The smoke alarms also have motion sensors built in so when its pitch black and you get up for the toilet
    my hallway lights up with a small glow so i can see where im going and not twat my little toe off the staircase :)

If the heating is on and i have left the house.. it either switches its self off or turns down to a pre-determined heat of your choice

Its not just what you could potentially save on your utility bills for its also when im out the country and there is smoke in my house i get notified
    so i can do something about it and hopefully prevent a small fire / smoke damage or worse still my house being burnt to the ground with
    all my belongings in it.

So £350 for the smoke alarms to potentially stop this from happening one day when im not home is a good investment for me :upyeah:

#31 Chris2511, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Weve got one of these...
    SALUS IT500 Internet Controlled Thermostat | eBay
    Wired it into the boiler myself (ours is a 8 year old worcester bosch) works perfectly - uses the android app - wife uses the apple app on her tablet/phone. Never fails. Always works once youve bought it thats it (not sure if hive requires a monthly fee or whatnot). When the thing wants a firmware update just run it from the app.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have saved money by keeping my house heated at a constant temperature
    It costs more to heat up a cold house for me

My thermostat can be programmed each hour for a certain temp

14. Have a look at heatmiser.
    Great system, you can control heating, hot water, and electric underfloor heating as well.
    Also the option to add smart sockets etc.
    Heatmiser is as used by all the top end developers and AV integration company's and integrates seamlessly with crestron, Control 4 and AMX systems.
    Not that much more expensive then NEST and I can highly recommend, would agree with the Worcester Bosch boiler also

15. over here in norn iron we mostly use oil to heat our houses, iv a grant vortex condensing boiler running at 98% efficiency , my hot and cold water [not drinking water] is supplied via a storage tank and the hot water is stored in a big cylinder,my home is zoned and controlled using horstman digital timers and thermostats ............my house is triple glazed, with 5 million tons of insulation,iv two wood burning stoves [one in garden room and one in living room] the cylinder allows for heating water if I wish via back boiler,immersion,oil,or even solar,the storage tank means if the mains is off iv still water for shower or toiets,the showers are run through a stewart turner 3 bar pump that provides more force than any shower iv had.iv fitted a frost stat for winter protection. oh and if the internet fails the heating will still work .

16. N Power do them for £160 if you are a customer, that's where I bought mine. I fitted it myself which wasn't difficult.

I never thought of that. Bonus. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. You lot will get fat :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Corrected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  19. I'll just turn my thermostat up using my iPhone while in bed to sweat it off. :D

#39 Robarano, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. You could do worse than to look at the Tado smart thermostat. It's German and very popular there. It works by monitoring your location on your smartphone and then ramping up the temperature as you get close to home. When you combine this with its timer facility (for at night when you don't want a hot house whilst you're asleep), it works well. Easy peasy to fit (but I guess the Nest and Hive are as well). Definitely worth a look, though.

So far as hot water's concerned, we have a pressurised hot water tank - which gives you mains pressure hot water. So power showers without pumps. Absolutely brilliant. (but a big disruption to fit, and expensive compared with gravity HW systems). TBH, if you're replacing a back boiler, a well specified combi boiler isn't a bad idea.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information