1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bol D'or

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by WAH900ss, Sep 19, 2023.

• Like Like x 9
  1. Watched most of it on tv, really wanted to go but was unable, the Suzuki was lucky it wasn’t more damaged after those 8 or so bikes went down on fluid! Deserved the win I think though especially with two riders after Guintoli got sick! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. From the snippets ive managed to pick up on social media thats not even a factory Ducati effort which surprised me slightly.

Am i also right in thinking it was a Bridgestone tyre in first and second? (certainly was at one point)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes, very pleased for Suzuki, also popular with the crowd, although that said I couldn't detect much in the way of partisanship, everyone seemed to genuinely support all the riders and teams however well they did and they always got behind the the poor souls who had to push the bike home.
    overall I'd have to say if you get the chance then get down there, it's very atmospheric, can't say for sure who was using what tyres TBH, it's very difficult to try and keep abreast of all that's going on, except for when it's an obvious incident and the replay appears on the screen.
    You would definitely be better informed having watched it on TV.

#4 WAH900ss, Sep 19, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Pleased to see this was on channel 4 on demand tv app last night (could have been the itv one actually)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Last time I went was in 97 Always wanted to go back. Do they still camp around the track?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Something different to the continental MotoGP races that are a bit the same as events - apart from maybe Mugello.

Different culture, different bikes, different teams.

7. I watched quite a bit on the tv. Was a shame to see the Ducati out so early.

I recently bought my 959 from this guy, Tom Oliver,

IMG_0489.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. The camping is restricted to the extreme r/h side of the complex (when viewed from above) no more BBQ's and campfires so no smoke drifting across the Mistral!

9. Probably better weather helps

• Like Like x 2
  10. Great to see the event is still going I had forgotten all about it!
    I went in 89,90,91 & 92, tried to make the Bol the middle weekend of a 2 week tour when I could.
    Camping on the Mistral - sleep was a rare luxury.
    I also remember seeing the Paramedics and Police on every other bend on the road to Bandol, there were bales covering some of the roadside hazards too, all waiting for the inevitable exuberance.
    Free access to the top of the pitlane building which was a great viewing spot.
    Pleased I did it when I was young enough to stay the distance, I certainly couldn't do the 800+ mile trip home in 16 hours (inc Calais - Dover Ferry) on an unfaired GSX1100 - only did it the once!!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hardcore then, dangerous now, older and (a bit) wiser ;-)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I used to love going in the years before it moved north. I went to the last one they held there before they moved with a chum who lived in Belgium at the time.

We rode back via the Alps but hit snow and had to divert towards Grenoble, I had my Thundercat and he has a 748 SPS. I ended up with all the luggage as he didn’t want to damage his paintwork, didn’t secure it very well and his throw over panniers came off as soon as we hit the first fast road.

Should go back some time but feel a bit old for camping now!

Alps.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  13. What on earth did they do to the track?! Is there any blue pint left in the world?! Looks horrific

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Picture taken near the circuit, for the 2018 Bol d'Or.
    Photographer outfit taking pictures of all the bikes as they come past on a particularly popular section of twisties - cost a few Euros.

Good fun all that...

upload_2023-9-22_19-32-33.png

• Like Like x 3
  15. ^ yes, there was chap taking photos this time, about halfway up the DN8 route to the circuit, like an idiot I failed to get his details.

16. I just had a quick look on Google to see if I could find a website - nothing obvious. If you do find the website then look up the event and then Date/time you were in the area to track it down. I seem to remember they had a photographer in more than one location.

Someone may be able to help you with tracking down the company that does it - probably someone who's home country is France might get better Google search results.

Otherwise - you might have to go again !

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Well done !

I found his pictures :
    upload_2023-9-24_21-13-34.png

This is not all of them - a few before and after.....

upload_2023-9-24_21-12-18.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. See above - found them on the site for you :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information