1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C Spanner

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Feb 23, 2017.

1. All

I'm not home until tomorrow evening to measure up, but have the chance to select a C Spanner through work tomorrow morning that I'd use to adjust the Showa rear shock on my 900SS.

Does anyone know the size I need?

Thanks

Nasher.

2. Forget the size..........its almost impossible to use a C spanner in the space available..........you are better off with a brass drift and a hammer. Or a steel drift if brass isn't handy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Im guessing here....about 70 -80mm?

4. It's ugly, but he's right!

5. Thanks Guys.

Part of the problem is that I've always used a brass drift I have with a hammer, but finally want to do it right.
    Especially as the Spanner I can choose this morning is free!

Nasher

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sold my last c spanner when I sold my 1098s. Now need one to do the chain on my Multi. Looked on fle bay and all sorts of sizes. What size do I need to adjust the chain please?

Regards Steve

7. You'll be going back to the brass drift and hammer Nasher.

Even if you find a C-spanner to fit you will only be able to move a collar a few degrees before the frame tubes limit any further movement. A good soaking with WD40 makes the job easier too.

8. But you don't want a brass drift.
    Use ally, plastic or wood.

If you really want a c-spanner, the best one by a million miles is my old self adjusting one.
    It has an articulated arm, tensioned by a small leaf spring.
    It bears the legend "Rolls Royce" and it used to belong to my Dad who was an RAF mechanic during the war, so probably std toolkit for spitfire engines or somesuch.
    It is simplicity itself to use, never slips and is handier in a tight space then a fixed/solid one.
    They do come up on ebay from time to time.
    Here's one that looks the same .. although I think its a tad shorter than mine, which bears the number E46631.
    Being shorter, it might be even handier in a tight spot ?
    Rare Rolls Royce C Spanner E46634 | eBay

9. Looks a little small as I remember the last one was a big thing. Will ask dealer.

Regards Steve

10. The Rolls Royce one is definitely too small for chain adjustment, I would think.
    I was suggesting it for rear suspension preload adjustment.
    It is self adjusting over a range of similar sizes .. but it does have its limits.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information