1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch advice ducati 996

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by kev cornwall, Jan 2, 2013.

1. went to fit my new ducati performance pressure plate today and decided to have a quick look at the clutch plates, have had no trouble with clutch and seems fine, but friction plate look worn on edges and plate pads look quite worn but i havnt seen a new set to compare, think i need new friction plates looking at the edges anyway, also the clutch drum has some wear, 3 questions
    1. wheres the best place to get new clutch plates
    2. any recommendations on make of plates to buy
    3. is the clutch drum ok with the ware on it

View attachment 9533 View attachment 9534

2. Clutch drum has had it, you could remove it and file down the tangs to get them flat again but I think it's too far gone and it's only putting off the innevitable. Plenty of options for drum and plates, ally plates make less noise and will not wear the drum as much also.

3. Hi Kev, on this site very recently there were posts about some Suzuki friction plates on ebay which a number of us followed up on. They're aluminium and organic pads. I bought some and they are fine. You should be able to find them with a search on here.
    Ref. the clutch basket, get a new one. I bet it's ratlling really bad and if you file the notches down it'll rattle even worse. Again, get on ebay, there's aluminium baskets with steel outer bands being sold for less than £80.
    Seems a good idea to do them both at the same time.

4. cheers alan, yep rattling like mad, thought it was normal lol, sets of car alarms off, ordered a clutch basket on ebay £78 ,cheers, did a quick search on here, was it the suzuki gs650 plates, did a quick search on ebay, £38

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. clearly your 996 is shagged please drop it my house and i'll give you an rsvr to get home on ............................:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ummmmmmmm no ; )

7. ok gs650 plates it is, cheers for all your help, much appreciated ; )

8. yes, those are the ones - you can only use the friction plates though but hopefully your steel plates are re-usable? As said, your clutch basket is easier replaced but good for a spare if you were desperate. I can't quite see from your pictures but worth checking the 'drum' for excessive wear as this can also affect gearchange quality if also notched/stepped badly.

9. cheers chris, yep steel plates ok, GS friction plate and clutch basket and tool on way so should be sorted

10. CAUTION! See my reply today on the post titled 'Lighter, smoother, quieter clutch - £15'

11. still working fine on both 888 and SS

12. mine too, bought another since there 28 quid now

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just stuck the set Nelson didn't get on with in my 999 - not good...

I did the lithium grease thing first in the hope that would prevent water absorption hence rust. Cooked them at 200c.

The slipping I could put up with as it is supposed to go away but the drag was a serious problem and I was lucky to get it home... :/

The Suzuki tangs may be too tight a fit, preventing them from clearing properly when the pressure plate lifts. Maybe I should file them down a bit.

Tempted to put the others back in though, I have to say...

14. Spent a couple of hours on the clutch this evening and I think, I hope I've got it sorted.
    The problem turned out to be not the stack height but the close fit of the Suzuki friction plate tangs in the basket, which does have grooves in it.
    The plates were expanding with heat and then jamming into the grooves. When I tried to take them out still warm, they wouldn't come until cooled a bit. I have now only the bottom two plates as Suzuki, the rest are the old ones. As the Suzuki ones wear in, I will gradually replace the Ducati with Suzuki, two at a time, putting the new ones at the bottom each time.

Should work.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. my suzuki plates have been in over 2 years now, i did file the tangs on the clutch plates slightly so they slid up and down the basket as i thought they where a tad tight, also from memorie i used one less clutch plate & one less friction plate, also my plates where used dry, ie no grease or oil on them

• Like Like x 1
  16. I did note though that both you and Steve R seem to have had some trouble with sticking plates if they get damp and rust a bit, so I thought I'd try combining the lithium grease mod in the hope that the grease would prevent water being absorbed by the friction material,l which is really designed for a wet clutch.
    Jury's still out on that though, although everyone who's tried it on Ducati plates seems to swear by it.

#18 Old rider, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  17. yes did have that happen once when i had just fitted plates and bike was off road over winter for a bit of refurb,but i didnt clean frictions which we think was problem, but ok for last few years since fitted, but worth keeping us updated as my bikes only ridden in dry and garaged overnight so dosnt get damp, but did rain overnight at ducati owners club rally in charmouth last september and i have an open clutch and was ok, we might well run into each other sometime as me and mrR are both around plymouth area, might well try and arrange a bit of a meet sometime this year, kev

18. Good news that the Suzuki plates can be made to work and work really well, Kev.
    After initial misgivings when I got terrible drag, I'm now really pleased, having managed to identify the problem and cure it.
    A trip to Charmouth sounds a great idea. You guys could collect me on the way.
    An 851, a 916 and a 999 arriving in Charmouth should be quite a spectacle...

#20 Old rider, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information