1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Slip

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Mar 11, 2017.

1. What I really don't get is why adding a thicker plain plate is going to help.
    I'm the first to admit I know sod all about slipper clutches but I will be amazed if this helps.

2. The spider spring should make no difference to stack height, it only affects the preasure on the center hub rising up the ramps.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks.

Sounds like I need a convex plate, swap one 2 x 1.4mm for the 2mm's and buy a new 3mm so I can play with the stack.
    And maybe bleed the clutch again.

4. The grease of the balls and new spring was done in September and I rode several times with a perfect clutch.

Bike stood since mid November.

Only change was to fit new slave and fresh fluid.

5. And 999 is still in bite. It's also had one of these slaves fitted too......

6. So if clutch was fine after you doing spider and greasing balls would that say clutch stack height and operating clearances was good then ?
    It's only gone wrong since doing cylinder ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Can you measure your original slave cylinder fully compressed (where the pushrod seats) to the face where it bolts to the engine casing and do the same with your new master cylinder.

This will answer all the questions in relation to the clutch slip side of things, presuming you are still using the same release pushrod.

If you can push the new master cylinder fully onto the casing with hand pressure only then odds on it isn't preloading the release button whick would cause slip.

As I said before though if 1mm is the difference between slip and poor clutch release/ drag you're either not going to have enough pressure on the plates or you'll have drag as the clutch warms up.
    I don't recall ever seeing a clutch with a 1mm release action, more like 3mm to 5mm. That is where all your problems are coming from re dragging and poor neutral selection.

With the clutch hot, you need to ensure there is no pre-load on the release pushrod.

8. As another idea, have you checked to see if the slave is faulty in any way despite being new. Do you have any form of slow leak or trapped air bubbles in the line or elsewhere

9. Yes

10. Did have a little amount of clutch fluid escape so I've nipped up the bleed nipple. But I don't see why that would have caused massive slip straight from the off.

11. can the plates in anyway be partly seized in the basket and not allowing it reseat?.
    i liked Chris's original technique for checking if its the slave

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Plates came out freely.

13. doh, read the whole thread fin.
    i test car clutches by slipping in to top gear, pulling on handbrake covering the brake and throttle with me right foot and dumping the clutch. can this be done after you have backed the slave out a turn or two?

14. Try bleeding the clutch "uphill" or use a pressurised bleed setup (Halfords!) and see if any air comes out.

If you have the clutch on your 999 apart and the friction plates are the same type, alloy or steel, then you could try mix and match on those.

I cant help thinking that there is something here which is either upset, not seating right, has air in it, etc.etc. that is causing this problem..It could be quite minor but still enough to throw the clutch out and stop it operating correctly.

Have you tried checking the clutch with the lever pulled in and rotating the wheel on a paddock stand that allows the rear wheel to turn over freely enough for you to see and check what the clutch throw action is like?

15. Standard steel part numbers -
    • 19010011A - 2mm
    • 19010231A - 1.5mm
    • 19010242A - 1.5mm (Convex)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Air in hydraulics would cause poor clutch release but would have no bearing at all on the clutch slipping..

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. I think I have air in the system. Went for test ride with a 1.4 removed and 2mm I'm its place and no slip and no nasty noise on take off but was a short ride through town.

Neutral I can find easy coming to a stop but almost impossible when stopped.

Got back and lots of fluid round slave.

I've put on a new banjo and bleed nipple and bleed again and still can't find neutral.

Going to buy a bleed banjo for the clutch master and bleed the top.

It may be that this model slave is crap for neutral.

18. You could try the cable tie overnight trick to see if that helps you find neutral.
    If it works, it may not be permanent but at least you'd know it was air causing the problem

• Like Like x 1
  19. It took a bit of faffing with different clutch plates to allow neutral at standstill on mine.If you have no slip then just try swopping a 1.4 for a 2mm plate.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information