1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Cost Of New Fork Seals ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by mak24seven, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Guess it depends on the bike.

2. I will correct a little on what I said , I've only had this bike a few weeks and looking at other pictures on the net I think my forks protrude above the top clamp more than standard so the top clamp is not pinching it near the top nut , but if the forks where lower in the clamps ....yes the clamp could pinch it around top nut area , so yes good point there by Broke and Cream R .
    Suppose you could use a feeler blade to wipe around the seals but the proper tool has like the hook on it and it does draw all the debris in to it , again it's only £4 , its a good tool to have in the tool box I thinks

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes that's the seller Jh my eBay purchase history has it as 301963518109 , remember the seller saying there was 4 different types with slightly different pins sizes and Center to Center measurements .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Typing that number brings up my linked item so [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Hello guys .....tail between my legs here .... the procedure I have posted is WRONG , the oil height or air space gap of 130mm, which ever you want to call it is done with the leg under full compression NOT as I stated with legs under full extension . So to achieve this on the bike you would have to take spindle out (if you are doing one leg at a time ) and lift the leg all the way up .
    I have started again and took leg off , with the leg fully compressed the oil level /air space should be 130 mm from top of the tube , the book says that this is without the spring and spacer fitted , just as a note with the spring and spacer fitted the air gap ends up at 120mm .
    It took 700cc of fork oil to get the 130 mm air gap by the way

Just needed to correct this as I don't want any of you guys buggering your forks up due to my mistake.

[​IMG]

6. I have decided to take the bike in, roll in roll out. A lack of free time for me and the fact I don't use the bike often allows me to be lazy :).
    To be honest this is an old bike with high miles ( 2011 , 27000 miles) and relatively new to me so although the fork seal tool may well have worked I have no idea how old or worn the seals are so I will feel better with new.
    It would seem the seals and oil are £100 and 2 hours labour in total so around the £250 mark, it also gives me the chance to check out cornerspeed in Sutton in Ashfield to see if I would be happy taking it there for the big wallet hitting 30k service :) .

7. Just wanted to say a massive thanks for this thread and all who contributed. Just bought a Multi 1200S and love it but the fork seal had blown. Took the advice, bought a seal buddy / seal mate for £5.89 and the seal has stopped leaking! Can't believe there's a £5 fix for a Ducati! May all future failures be fixed for under £6

• Like Like x 2
  8. I see the seal buddy fix as ..... it's worth a go first .... If it doesn't fix it ,well only option is full strip down

• Like Like x 1
  9. Second load of fork seals gone on mine, funnily enough first set at 11,000 miles roughly and second set 12,000 later and both gone round about february a year apart

I found this thread as i was looking to try the Kriega fork seal protectors and see via the search that JH has posted about them here ....got to be worth 17.50 of anyones money to see if they help

10. Can't tell as I changed bikes but for £17.50 a pair, try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fork seals changed and Kriega protectors in the post so will see how they fare, although with the worst of the winter crap on the way out (he says hopefully) it might make the seals life easier

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mechanico lee

I hope you didnt set your oil level with the springs in!

Springs out or you will be very low on oil and create foam

13. Did it with spring and spacer removed from leg , i will see if i still have the workshop pdf. File and post it up

14. Not sure if this helps anyone, but my local Yamaha dealer did my fork seal for one side last year as an MOT fail for £80 for a 2006 999s - apparently Yamaha used to own Ohlins and still get really good pricing. He did tell me which model Yamaha used the same fork seals, but I have a bad memory.

15. Some time ago when I did my seals I did a lot of " googling" It appears from that searching Yamaha an Suzuli seals fit but are tighter and so if you have gold nitride on the stanchions it disappears with the tighter seals

16. Ohlins have upgraded the seals about 3 years ago.

If you order a set you know if you have the newer seals as the dust covers now have spring rings.

No more leaks but i also rebushed mine as i got sick of replacing the seals ever six months and Darren (mct) advised replace bushes

I tried the gsxr 1000 k4 seals but they rock slightly then leak

Regards
    Rick

17. Here goes nothing, will see if the protectors help any

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hi, do you have any experience yet? Are they worth it? Thanks!

19. Crikey resurrection of an old post , I don't think he is on here any more.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information