1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Courier Tales (long Post)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wasted Time Lord, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Yes, I've got that frustrated author urge again!

Having brought up the K75 BMW:

beemer2.jpg

You can see how, amusingly, the owners went with a livery that made the bikes, at least, easily confused with police vehicles. The Trannies too, I suppose. The model was the RT – also as used by the cops. When I joined, Trans Action (never thought of it as two words) was trans itioning from R80RT Beemers, so that’s what I started on. Both models had the rack on the back for the extendable blue light the police bikes had, on which the R80 had a mobile phone aerial, but the K75 didn’t. The phone was mounted in the left pannier on both, which I’d turn off when the office kept calling it while I was on the motorway, or negotiating city centre traffic.

Details are hazy now; I don’t recall whether I rode the 800 Boxer 100,000 miles, or just 75,000. I rode the 750 triple for 75,000. I’d spent a year without a bike after selling the Jota, on which I covered 25,000 miles, which further confuses matters. And they really were those round figures to within less than 500 miles, almost as if I was deliberately aiming for them.

When I’d previously been a courier, but self-employed, I’d built the CB550 Four for that express purpose, but increasingly used the Jota. I had one weekly job for the AA, beginning in Basingstoke, to get to their Maidstone, Stanmore and Thatcham sites and bring back a big, heavy computer tape from each, to the Basingstoke HQ – before 12 noon! I could either take the A339 to Thatcham, then M4 to NW London, then across Central London for the M20 to Maidstone, then M25/M3 back to Basingstoke. Or do it in the reverse order. I had to leave at 6am to do it.

There were variations, brought about by boredom (i.e. familiarity, as the danger of the task was never itself boring). Sometimes I’d take the A30 instead of the M3, the A4 instead of the M4, the M25 instead of across Central London, the Blackwall Tunnel under the Thames rather than Tower Bridge across it, the A25 rather than the M25. I always made the noon deadline, but it was such a close run thing that I usually kept to the motorways and across London SE to NW or the other way round. Whether I went to Thatcham first or Maidstone first, was, again, dependent on boredom.

I’m not sure why I began that contract heading up the M3 to do Maidstone first, but it meant starting on the motorway (whereas the A339 was a pleasant and picturesque route. Anyway you started on one and finished on the other). This was in all weathers. Originally I began at 6am because traffic on the M3 was relatively light at that point. By the time I reached the M25 interchange the rush hour was in full flow, however. Whereas by the end of the morning coming back, motorway traffic was comparatively light again. Essentially, whichever direction I took, it was rush hour between 7 and 9 and, obviously, always heavy through Central London (which amounted to the Edgware Road to Hyde Park Corner, across the bridge and Old Kent Road to the M20).

I started at 6am to avoid as much of the rush hour on the M3 as possible, to get to Maidstone just as the AA site was opening; but it so happened that it gave me just enough time to make the round trip by the noon deadline, so I always started at 6am thereafter, even once I knew the route like the back of my hand.

And given how fast I had to go, I soon switched from using the Honda to taking the Laverda. This was just before speed cameras, and I spent plenty of time on the M25 at 120mph. I spent so much time at high speed that, by the end my year as a self-employed courier, 90 seemed slow. Which was part of the reason I then quit (basically I was burned out).

So when three years later, having forgotten the ordeal part of the job - as well as lived with and broken up with the only woman I ever considered marrying - I missed it, and joined Trans Action.

While it was an improvement not buying my own chains and tyres, or doing my own servicing, and being handy having a company card for petrol - and not having to wait six weeks to be paid by TNT - the company BMWs seemed awfully slow! At least the break had cured me of the extremely dangerous riding habits of three years earlier (I used to ride between traffic on the motorways on the white lines at 100 to 120mph on a regular basis. Eventually I’d consider the nerves of the drivers having a full-bore Jota go past them out of nowhere two foot from their window. This was when I stopped feeling I was doing them a favour subjecting them to that – likewise my neighbours having to listen to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath).

I’m pretty sure I did do at least 50,000 on the R80RT. Anyhow, then, for whatever reason – company finances allowed it, or the dealer finally had one in – I was taken to Farringdon on the Alton to Alresford road to take delivery of a brand new 750 BMW triple; so which I subsequently rode from new for 75,000 miles.

I was riding it on the M3 late one morning, around about Farnborough, I guess. I was in the fast lane overtaking a string of cars, at 80, heading for a decent gap ahead; I could have pulled in sooner, but didn’t want to unduly compromise my braking distance. Then I saw headlights flashing in the mirror. I was used to – obviously – and disdainful of, the likes of company reps doing that, so ignored it, and carried on, not appreciably breaking the speed limit, being ‘responsible’ this time around. Shortly the car behind flashed it’s headlights again and, without turning round, I extended my left hand behind me and gave the driver two fingers, with unmistakable emphasis. Eventually I reached the safe gap ahead and pulled into the middle lane.

I looked to the right, prepared to give the driver a “fuck you” look as it overtook me, only to be overtaken by a police car. The copper in the passenger seat waggled his finger at me as they drew level. There was a woman in the back who looked like the Queen Mum.

In a way, working for that company was interesting. We took the bikes home and there was no injunction not to use them as personal transport – though the livery was a constraint, along with the fact you didn’t really want to take long rides when you were already riding maybe thousands of miles a week. After picking up the bikes we had to take a few paid days off just riding where we liked, to run them in. Eventually I had to take it to a company at Langley to have the livery applied.

The co-owners were Simon – who had a 120 Jota – and Jan, whose husband ran a business on a farm not far out in the sticks, from where he prepared Range Rovers for off-road – and fitted tyres, so that’s where we went for those.

And we’d take the bikes for servicing back to the dealer – which is how I ended up in a ditch on the Alton Road after hitting ice one winter, while a copper looked on, and that I posted about previously. I repaired the fairing damage myself and got paid for that.

And the K75’s the bike I took the Advanced Rider assessment on, that we were all required to take when the company got fed up with the no. of accidents (though at this point I hadn’t had any). The Advanced Riding course company was based in Merton, where we went for slow riding around obstacles and testing on the more obscure parts of the Highway Code, including having to draw signs I had no idea even existed, let alone what they looked like. I for one didn’t do that great on the Highway Code.

And there was an assessment being followed around South London – which was more or less where I started riding fifteen years or so before, while at college in Morden, where I’d frequently skip lunch and just ride around on a borrowed CZ175.

The final part of the assessment involved being tailed for most of the day, to half-a-dozen locations throughout Southern England (and having to find specific locations, which I suppose was to test us for how safe we were riding through busy traffic while looking for street-names and businesses. Uxbridge, with it’s busy one way system, was a challenge).

From Uxbridge I was headed back to South London and from there, Bristol, joining the M3 at Virginia Water. By now I was getting pissed off with being over-cautious, hot and bothered behind a faired bike around London for a couple of hours. Being watched or not, the prospect of riding on the M3 and sticking to 70 was just too much. I decided I’d rather quit than do that, so once on the motorway I took off at 80; and the assessor stayed with me all the way. The furthest we went was Plymouth. It was a long day.

The report, on all of us, was that we didn’t need Advanced Training. Probably obvious just by the fact of our being alive and uninjured, though the majority of the work was in London, where it was said a motorcycle courier’s life expectancy was, I believe, three months.

I lasted one year in the job, again, burned out by the end of it. It made me not want to ride bikes for pleasure. I’d stop at an off-licence on the way back from the last London job of the day, after dark – sometimes not long before they closed – and buy a four or six pack of Special Brew; get home and drink until collapsing on my bed. Originally there were plenty of long-distance runs – like to the Peak District, Rhondda Valley, Cornwall, Merseyside; but by the end it was London, London, London. I only ever did it to be paid to do what I’d choose to do anyway; but it was turning pleasure into a chore, so again I quit. I still feel a certain nostalgia for the job, but I’ll never again forget the downside.

Doing it throughout the winter, day in, day out, bordering on hypothermia, soaked and cold with two or three hundred miles still to go, and maybe the same again to come back. You have to be mad or desperate to do it. I didn’t just lose my increasingly-immature philosophy whereby I was giving drivers the gift of hearing a big 4-stroke flying past near enough to touch; but also the curious notion I was some kind of working class hero riding bikes through any and all weather, like a particular version of a hard-case – not in a bike gang, not in the SAS, but able to take anything. Eventually I could see a stupid fucker in the mirror (though I stared him out).*

I mean, apart from the fact eventually you’d be banned anyway – at least I would – and the fact the office were absolutely adamant we should not break the law, while expecting delivery times that inescapably required it – so, you know, once I lost my license it would be my own fault, so tough shit.

There’s a nostalgia for riding about on the 550 Honda – in pleasant weather, on tree-lined A and B roads. Occasionally I think about buying another: it’s actually more appealing than the thought of another Bonneville – because fewer expectations would be unmet with the Honda. It’s deeply unsatisfying to ride a 750 Triumph and be continually overtaken by family cars. But the memories that are almost legendary are on the Jota which, minor details aside – like 180 triple as opposed to 90 degree V-twin – the Ducatis provide the exact same thrill.

In ‘Alive’, one of the teenage rugby players asks a teammate which he prefers, rugby or girls? He says (Ethan Hawke, as I recall) “girls”, except when he’s playing rugby. The other modifies that with “rugby except when girls are watching you play rugby”. Speaking for myself I think that riding near-perfect machines, in near-perfect conditions, is better than ‘girls’. Though it’s nice to have one on the back holding on to you.

* Sometimes what I'd see in the mirror kept morphing, lol. Which reminds me: what should I put a personalised plate on? The 999 or the 900ssie?

#1 Wasted Time Lord, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Great post. Apologies as I can only give it 1 like!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Great post, thank you,
    having travelled a lot of the roads you've mentioned, I can identify with your experience.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Great post, thanks for sharing. Brings back memories.

Spent three years riding for WestOne in the early 80s. Was on the City circuit so long distance jobs were rare. Far preferred the buzz of having multiple jobs on board and plotting my way around town in the most efficient way. IIRC the most at one time was 18 deliveries in my panniers at one time. You really got to see the underside of London business. On the occasional long run I'd get bored TBH. Maybe riding a Honda RS250 had something to do with that... In those situations ever hopeful of the possibility of a return job rather than riding back empty. Pagers and two way radios rather than mobile phones as they weren't really around at that time, other than the luggable variety.

Not exactly a career with long term prospects I was working the occasional day aa a freelance photographers assistant at the same time. Landed a full time assisting job by a mate and fellow courier being at the right place at the right time. Waiting for a job at a photographers studio overhead a conversation and volenteered my details. Halcyon days indeed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sometimes it was sublime - I mean, forgetting the long distance stuff. Working London after rush hour of a balmy evening. Or, first time around - '88/'89 - on a Sunday, when there was little traffic: second time around - '93 - London on Sunday was like every other day of the week. A great racetrack had been sacrificed to Sunday opening!
    Racing the other bike couriers from one set of lights to the next on a virtually empty Brompton/Earl's Court Rd or Kensington High St., weaving across four lanes like it was choreographed, because everyone did that job and it was second nature.
    I had routes - as I suppose we all did - criss-crossing London avoiding the log-jams. Like for instance the route I used to take for Croydon - that I tried a couple of years back on Google Street View, with a result split between being unable to remember sections and new roads; and just that - and getting caught in a bus lane here the first day riding after the 16 year break (that is the true meaning of my user name. I wouldn't watch Doctor Who if you paid me) - I realize all those routes, all that saner version of The Knowledge, is lost. Like tears in rain.

One of Trans Action's riders had this story - that sounded genuine but you could imagine it as an urban legend. He said he had a minor collision with a car (in London) and the driver turned out to be David Bailey, who got out and photographed everything. It sounded hilarious the exasperated way he told it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. I too was a courier back in the day. 9 years on the bikes then 5 more controlling.
    I worked for companies based out of croydon and Reigate. So the general bulk was London stuff. But a fair mix of Home Counties stuff with the long distance stuff making up the remainder. Got through many bikes over them years. CX500’s were the mainstay and I’d always try to have a cg125 as a spare bike. What else did I use? Gsx400/4, Z750, gt550, XS1100, xbr500. But the two highest milers were one of my maggots that racked up 350,000 miles and the GT550 that got to 360,000.
    Notable moments;
    Falling asleep on the A3 at Wisley and waking up at the top of the grass bank then ending up laying in lane 3 on my arse.
    Abandoning my VT500 in Droitwich after doing the mains.
    Riding to Bristol and back in the snow.
    Having a head on with a car, totalling the bike and flying a fair way with no wings.
    The Friday night run up to BACS in edge ware loaded with rate 2 jobs.
    The courier gp up the Tottenham Court Road.
    Gaining access to various off limits building and having a wander around. BBC tv Center was interesting.
    The manic dashes into London loaded with tenders with time running out.
    Delivering to Abbey rd studios.
    Riding through London at 4am ferrying about the music scores for the James Bond films.
    Riding for a full day then at 6pm heading off to Scotland to deliver a Jiffy bag.
    Suffering hypothermia every day for too long.
    Ticking off a royal police outrider who was on bald tyres.
    Mercy dash’s with medical stuff.
    Being paid to ride bikes in the summer.
    Too many more to list but so glad I did it.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Yeah, that rings many more bells.

Nodded off far too often, but luckily always woke up in time. The worst was going north on the M6 at Walsall. I forget which bike I was on, but one with a really light throttle, because as my arms relaxed it wound the throttle open and I woke up accelerating toward the car in front. I think you must be lucky to have survived the job for 9 years; I'm sure I wouldn't have.

But to state the bleedin' obvious, I have a hard time not going as fast as I can get away with. Hence couriering (if that's the word. I never did know) on a Laverda Jota.

I used to love the A25. I'd ride it before I became a courier, to Redhill or Reigate and back. When I had the use of a CB900F2, I took it out in the early hours and did the A25. Which is the first time I appreciated Japanese fours, which led to accepting one-and-a-half CB550 Fours, in bits, as payment for rewiring a Kwacker; and, wondering what to use it for, gave me the idea to be a courier.

And, as some will be aware, my mate Dave started making guitars, after making a replacement body for my Telecaster. When he got serious must have been in '89, because I used to pick up luthier supplies for him from a shop in Reigate.

I have a wistful memory of sandwiches of prawn and avocado in baguettes from one place in Pall Mall and another in Clerkenwell, but I think I'm just straying into wishing I was young again now. Eventually I was taking orders from the staff back in Basingstoke, which was, to me, an amusing, slightly unreal development.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Great at times. The money was good and I could earn more then than I could as an electrician.
    Talking of sleep. It was crazy at times, one time I was off to Birmingham way from Reigate and by the time I’d got past the M3 jct I was really struggling to stay awake. I was having to come off the m-way almost every jct to try and wake myself up. F### knows how we did it at times. when I was controlling I had a bank manager come in and wanted to be a courier. I persuaded him to not give up the day job but take a few days holiday and come for a trial. Well first morning he was offered a Glasgow job. We tried to dissuade him as another courier would do it if he didn’t. Anyway off he goes on his xj900. Lost contact near Carlyle. Client going mental. Next morning we hear from him. He made it to Glasgow stayed in a hotel then was heading home. Next day we hear from him, he got two miles from home and crashed. Really nice guy and was so pleased I said just do a trial. Had big respect for all of us and bid farewell.

• Like Like x 3
  9. One other story: this was on my first stint, self-employed. I'd met this also self-employed van driver at the TNT office. I wonder if he's still alive, given he was a thalidomide victim (if 'victim' isn't somehow demeaning). Tiny little arms! Anyway he was a real ball of fire. And one evening, after I'd called it a day, he rang me and asked if I'd do a job for him. This was 21 identical documents to deliver all over London, that night. So I went over to his place, picked it up and off I went again.

That was one of those balmy evenings. I don't know what it is about the quality of the light: I suppose it is clear because everything comes together - air pressure, air quality, just the right density for sound to carry, for visual clarity. The stars, bright points of light without the night being chilly - all of which, combined, is precisely why you feel sharp, with an over-all impression of everything being just so.

And I remember walking back to the expanse of road in Hampton, having made my final delivery, and looking at the wide open space before me beneath the lucid, blue-black sky, and watching an equally blue-black Merc drive past, from right to left, at high speed, it's anti-theft alarm honking frantically.

I put the key in the Honda and headed for the A3 and home.

Note: In the original post I stated that I had to complete the AA job by 12 noon. While that was correct, I would stress, nonetheless, that I did not have to complete by 11 noon. Or indeed by 13 noon.

9af380726e47fc7c2bff20a38010fdc2--peter-noone-hermans-hermits.jpg

#9 Wasted Time Lord, Feb 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. On the subject of disability and couriers; one of the WestOne riders, appropriately named 'one arm Will' had a prosthetic right arm. Rode an adapted Honda 400 auto. Could frequently be found at the One Tun on Googe street, where some of the firms riders hung out after work, with a pint tucked into the bib of his Rukka bib-and-brace trs whilst he made roll-ups.

He had the occasional accident which usually dislodged and or damaged his prostetic much to the horror of anyone else who was involved, or witnessed, the tumble. He had a spare at home just in case.

Another of the WestOne regulars at the One Tun was Damon who rode a 550 Katana. Once I turned up on a day I wasn't working on my 350YPVS which interested him quite a bit. Let him have a go. Didnt realise it at the time but this was Damon Hill. Went on, if he wasn't already, to production racing LCs and then higher things.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Is it a particularly difficult thing to get into? As a road hardened freelancer in another industry who often has a bit of time on my hands, it could be something I do on my off days :)

12. It used to be a doddle to get into as the heyday was pre internet, as almost everything had to be delivered manually.
    With the explosion of overnight delivery options and electronic transfers most of the trade dwindled away. There are still a few companies in the bigger cities that run bikes but even there most is now pushbike or scooter use. by all means seas that for local express courier companies and talk to them.
    As an example of how busy we used to be, I would average 95,000 miles a year. If it’s all local town work you’d not rack up them sort of miles. How it is as a business nowadays I could not say as we sold our courier company just before it all collapsed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes, I concur, the internet pretty much killed it. For years I almost unconsciously kept an eye out for evidence there was still such a trade and realised long ago most of what motorcycle couriers did could now be done online.

This subject made me wonder what old colleagues were doing these days and I did a little googling. I found just two mentions of Trans Action: one listing their old premises on some business finding site, which can be seen to be obviously outdated using Google Street View. The other is co-founder Simon's CV on LinkedIn whereby he was no longer there post-'97 - which would have been about when the internet took off to the extent he'd likely have figured the game was up.

Further, Simon's linkedin lists him as manager of Bournemouth Flying Club, yet that doesn't appear to have existed since 2012.

What you can still do and I've idly considered, though not very seriously, is delivery of medical materials. Typically, I believe that would be carrying blood, maybe organs - if you ask yourself just what would hospitals need in enough of a hurry to require carriage by motorcycle. I believe there are one or two on this forum who do, or have done, that.*

* As, indeed, doogalman mentions doing in his original reply - though my point is that this use does continue today.

#13 Wasted Time Lord, Feb 26, 2024
  14. I presume you're still doing the rideouts? I could tag along on the 900. I could probably ride sedately on that.

15. I gave up the meetup group as it was taking up too much of my time with none of the regulars really wanting to help out. Attempting to close a meetup group results in all the members of that group being emailed stating that it's closing and does anyone want to step forward, pay the fees and keep it going. This prompted one to take it over so I handed over the reins to Michael who lives outside Ross. This is the renamed group.

I did start up a local biking forum (gmsrt.co.uk), based off the back of the meetup group, but it's failed, against my efforts, to gain much traction. Like all these things you get a number of people that sign up and then they disappear. The meetup group had 260 odd members, I saw maybe 25 of these on the various rideouts I organised, even did a long weekend in Snowdonia and a trip to Normandy and Brittany for the group. Minimal numbers and a lot of time consumed organising. Michel has since thinned the numbers significantly to just those that come on the rides.

I still do rides into Wales and might post some on gmsrt.co.uk once the weather is more agreeable. Sometimes ride just with my best mate on his 996. Can PM you when we do this if your interested.

16. Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I don't believe I'd be up to it before the summer mind. Possibly more to the point I'd vowed not to return to Wales since the 20mph thing. I'll be interested in your experience of that.

17. I did a couple of summers as a courier when I was between contracts as a biochemist in the early 90s. I worked for Pony express. Hardest job I’ve ever done. Being based in the Midlands meant there lots of runs to London, Manchester and Liverpool. Had some really weird jobs - usually when then we’re trying to avoid paying for a van. Two stand out in particular, the first was getting a tosser at Perkins moaning because I would take four boxes of engine parts. They weighed getting on for 100kg and each was the size of a crisp box. The most memorable though was a strip for Concorde. It was part of the wing I believe but I never saw it, only the tube it was in. The tube was about 8ft long and 120mm diameter. It weighed very little so we gaffer taped it to the passenger footrest and then leant it backwards and taped around the top box. I was expecting to get pulled by the plod all the way down the M1 but and no problems. Mostly though it was just carrying documents. In those days email wasn’t really a thing and we carried everything from new car registrations to Swansea to beat dealership sales targets, to piles of papers from bank to bank. Work varied from barely breaking even one day to a 16 hour day the next. I finally packed it in when they expected me to head down to London after fourteen hours in the bike (with back to back 12 hour days previously) and I knew I was so tired I wouldn’t be safe. On a good day it was the best job in the world and you could earn good money, but wouldn’t want to do it long term.

• Like Like x 1
  18. We had a young lad working for us. He had a battered old vt500 with a barn door fairing hung on by a wing and a prayer. At the end of one winters day we had a call from Toyota GB as we did all their stuff from their HQ. It was for a package to go to Glasgow from Redhill in Surrey. He went and collected the package and then popped back into the offic to see if there was any chance of picking up another job to drop off en-route. While in the office he thumbed through all the maps we had to see if he could find the address (remember this was before sat navy’s and google). He couldn’t find it in any of the tatty AtoZ’s so was going to head into Glasgow and find a taxi office to suss out where to go.
    Now, as many hardened couriers were about it was suggested to him to rather than ride up there go to Heathrow and get the shuttle to Glasgow and then jump in a taxi to do the drop. Then straight back to the airport and fly home. Great tactic that was often used and even after the outlays you still ended up with a fair payday for the job. Also bearing in mind he’d already been at work on the road since 8 in the morning it makes for an easy evening.
    cut a long story short he rode up there in rain, got into Glasgow and found some taxi office for directions. The place he was delivering to was at the airport which was why he couldn’t find it in the maps. he did kick himself up as it’s a hell of a round trip to do on a bike in not so good weather. But he loved the challenge.
    dod he get the p1ss taken out of him the next day. Oh yes he was back down south for work the next day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Which photographer s studio?

20. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I too have seen things, Bladerunner.

Nice one.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information