1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate Ducati 1198 (2010 Or 2011) Owner In The Philippines

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chris Neis, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Hi

My name is Chris ...

Ducati has always been my dream and last year I had the chance to buy a 1198, I was so happy .... but but but then came the problems ...

5 months ago, I started getting prolemer with the bike it started to stall when I let go of the trottle ..
    since we do not have any ducati shops near where I live, I had too call the one there was closest to me and ask if I paid for air fare and accommodation if I could get a mechanic here ... he came and connecde bike to his computer ... and it came with 3 errors (unfortunately) I can not remember more than that it came with TPS ... he deleted the mistakes and said I could take a test drive ..
    I asked if he was serious ... he had not done anything ..

and as I expected .. the bike still stall on me ...
    he did not know what he could do when his fix did not help ...
    let me just say he is a mechanic with Ducati in Bacolod ..
    I have a good friend who would like to try to help me to fix it ... he is NOT mechanic, but would like to be one ...
    He then starts to search the web and find a lot of problems with the bike ...

TPS and there were also problems with two other sensor ... I have no sense of anything of what he was talking about, but I trust him ... Also fuse No. 2 continued to blow ... he also found out the wired that go to the starter was melted and shorted ...
    he finally fix all the mistakes he could find ... but here comes all the problems with having a Ducati here in the Philippines .... NO one have a computer where they can do other things then to run a diagnostics ... so I ended up buying a cable on ebay and downloaded a program (jpdiag) then I could see that my TPS was running with 19.6, so I pressed the reset and it went down to 2.7 ...

I will just say that the bike have not been stable at any time after I started having problems ...
    my problem is now that the bike does not start anymore .. also if I keep the starter in for a long time so will my display reset... and I do not know what I can do anymore ...
    it is also why I signed up this forum in the hope that there were one or more that can help me ... for I am about to give up ...

it is impossible to buy parts ... everything has to be ordered from abroad and sometimes it can take 8-10 months before it arrives .. but I'm lucky it will arrive within 3 months.

my dream bike which has become my biggest nightmare ...

2. What battery voltage is showing on the dash when you turn the ignition on? I too have had a fair few problems with my 1198 so have learnt a fair bit along the way....

3. Sorry about that. Have you thought about moving :)

Welcome btw Dave :)

4. Not sure if you can reset the tos via the ecu connection? @chrisw may be able to help, or @nelly

5. TPS can be reset via the diagnostic port. But I'd be more worried about the postman! 3 months! West yorkshire's not even that bad...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Between 12.2 and 12.9 but of course when I keep trying to start the bike it end up on 11 something...

7. Hehe not really I still love living here it's a great country, but yes the post is a problem and also the it's impossible to find really skilled mechanics... Here you have to learn to do things by yourself... But I have thought of giving up on my Ducati... Almost everyone I know here with Ducati have problems....
    If only I was a Ducati mechanic and had the money to buy all the tools to fix Ducati it would be a very good business here...

8. I've learnt through my recent problems that anything less than around 12.4 and it won't start.

When it gets to there definitely stop trying. And this is also when I have updated starter cables on my bike to aid it, which you probably won't have.

Due to your comment about burnt cables i think you may have now burnt out the starter, which has probably taken the stator plate with it too - this all happened to me.

From here I would either find a proper mechanic and not somebody who wishes to be one or do some heavy research yourself on the parts in question (where they are, what they look like etc) and strip it down yourself, taking your time, documenting everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will then also have to find the reason for what caused this in the first place - hopefully it will be obvious upon inspection.

A guy I know sends items back to his family in the Phillipines, I'll ask what method he uses and how long it takes and let you know. You may need to order some parts for your repair.

#8 Pavey, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  9. I don't have a problem start on the prepares myself... But how can I check if that's the problem.. Otherwise I can just keep spending money on buying new parts.. And then I can of course the delivery time to get it here... I know there is a company in New York ( Jonny air ) they can get things through faster I don't know how I can but still it will take a long time..
    But is it possible for me to see on the starter if it's burned and also the plate you were talking about...

10. The starter is a black cylindrical object down at the bottom of the engine on the right hand side. However you need to see inside it and this involves draining the oil and taking the left hand side engine casing off in order to get to one of the three bolts that hold it.

11. haha Of course it's a Ducati... So it doesn't surprise me you have to take the engine apart just to get one bolt... But I need to change the oil anyway looking at the Oil I really doubt that Ducati Bacolod changed it last time it was at service 1000 km (12.000 km service) to go The oil looks really black

12. passing on a message from an observer. there is a dealer in Quazion city near Manila. best way to to send parts is with DHL delivery from uk approx 10 days. :upyeah::smileys:

• Like Like x 1

13. Do this and report back on the starter motor and stator plate. Make sure you have a good set of tools, will make the job much easier (I discovered this too recently).

14. Last time I thought something from the US it was an exhaust pipe from Tose it wasn't with DHL and yes it's true it will be in the Philippines with in two maybe three weeks but you can be unlucky that customs keeps it for months ...
    Last year in September order a new visor on my helmet it was ordered over the interment I could follow it through that tracking number and it came to the Philippines very fast but I didn't receive it until July this year

15. The first thing I would do is find out why the TPS was at 19.6 degrees. It sounds like the throttle could be sticking or that there is a short.
    Resetting the TPS is a software reset, not a mechanical one. So if the throttle is stuck open, by resetting it you have simply told the ECU that whatever signal is being read that is the idle value of 2.7 degrees.
    The ECU is now fuelling and providing ignition based on that... If the throttle is open, then it won't have enough fuel etc.
    Check the throttle plates are physically shut on the stop screws then reset. Don't touch the stop screws at all either. They are factory set.
    If you're blowing fuses, you have a sort somewhere. Look around for chaffing on the wiring loom, trapped cables etc. Without test equipment, you're eyes and patience are your best tools.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sounds like a good idea to check... I will take a look at that today... Thanks bro..
    And thank you everyone in here.. I have learned a lot by joining this site... And I'm surprised over the will to help a fellow rider...

17. I know it's not a hi tech way to do it but don't know how else to do it...
    The difference is:
    23.75mm
    22.25mm

I tried to opload some pictures but don't think you can see so much on it...

And to it seems that everything is running fine except the small difference...

Hehe this is so difficult when I know nothing about what I'm doing but trying to keep the mood up because I need too get this bike running again....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

18. They both look to be closed properly. Work the twistgrip to see that they open and close properly and without any sticking. When shut, run a reset of the TPS with your diagnostics. If you're able to get a throttle reading with the diag program, open the throttle fully and you should see about 85 degrees.
    If that works out then the TPS should be working ok.

The display resetting is a result of the battery running down. At about 9V the bike will shut down to protect the circuits. Make sure the battery is good...maybe get a new one?
    Fuse 2 is lights. Assuming you're reading left to right.

19. The battery is brand new...
    Yes it is light...

20. After I put the carburettor back on the TPS was 0°.. So I reset it and now it's 2.6°

Do Not Sell My Personal Information