1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 Ds Starting & Stalling Issues

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by doug_mk3, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I've had my '03 Multistrada 1000DS now for around 8 months or so, haven't had it out much this year, was running fine last year until I took it to Italy, when it started encountering starting issues, struggling to turn over, takes 5/6 times to catch and getting progressively worse.

Also idles low, and stalls on tickover, I've checked and cleaned all connections, new battery, uprated leads, and checked connections as I know the earth can often be a cause of issues, but it still struggles to start and I've had to bump it more recently.

Apparently sprag clutch, and valve clearances were done just prior to purchase as well - any ideas what it could be, before I do valve clearances again?

Cheers, Doug

2. They do spin over quite slowly.

How old's the battery?, 3 years seems to be the norm nowadays. Get a good quality replacement if you do change it (GS or Yuasa).

Worth checking the charge rate as well, multimeter over battery terminals, should be around 14v @ 2000 rpm (no lower than 13.5 and no higher than 14.8).

I'd change the battery if suspect and also the ignition relay (mini relay rhs of the battery) as a matter of course and go from there.

Does the Check Engine Light come on when riding?.

3. Thanks for the advise, I will check the batt voltage on the weekend and see what it's saying. Its a new battery, was put on when I bought the bike 8 months ago, and it did start (just about) when I fired it up for the first time a couple of weeks ago after sitting since Feb. I've cleaned the connectors on the relay but haven't replaced it as of yet.

Hoping it's something simple I've missed!

Cheers, Doug

4. And no engine light appears either!

5. Could this be a sticky flapper valve people? Or a faulty O2 sensor?

6. Carefully check the condition and connections on the idle control hoses?

7. Are the TB's balanced? Mine (hypermotard 1100) recently went back on the dyno as id added some K&N's and apparently that threw the TB's out of balance - along with fueling being sorted its not stalled since and is easier to start.

8. I'd be tempted to replace the relay anyway, the minature ones do tend wear out.

What make is the battery?.

9. If your talking about the starter relay I've got a good working secondhander....

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

10. If the starter relay went, wouldn't it not engage the starter motor at all? Starter is turning, but it's just not catching.

I'll check the battery make tomorrow when I check the voltage!

Cheers guys.

11. No - it wouldnt - it would just click i would guess but if youre out of luck and want to try it you can. I thought mine was gone on my hyper and bought another one (60 quid!) and then didnt need it but left the new one fitted anyway...

Not sure where in the world you are but ive also got a good working spare battery (changed mine to a lithium a few months back)

12. Had similar with my DS , same year
    I remember Swapping out the fuel pump relay , changing the cables and adding an additional earth
    Also Check for corrosion on the back of the ecu and the earth points

All my starting issues were resolved by cleaning electric connections and using dialectric grease

I cured the stalling by relashing the ECU with a DP version which raised the idle speed and generally rich ened up the mixture

I probably still have the file if you need it

13. What sort of mileage has it done?

14. No, the little miniture relay on RHS of the battery, seen plenty of these fail over the years (not as robust as the full sized relays).

15. Tyco V23073 Is the OEM part I believe

16. It's only on 15k at the moment, so not all too much in the grand scheme of things!

17. I've heard about the cables and earth connection getting quite corroded, so new cables have been put on, and I've cleaned the connections up. ECU I've cleaned the connections on but haven't tried the DP map on the ECU - again, could be worth a shot. Cheers!

18. Hmm, I might look into a new relays anyway then as it'll probably be on it's way out. I checked the batt on the weekend, and seems to be fine holding the charge, 12.9 standing. Thanks for the offer though mate.

19. Batteries vary. It's not just a matter of getting a new battery, you have to get the right battery.

The starting power of a battery is measured in CCA - Cold Cranking Amps.

Our big twins need a battery with very high CCA and the highest CCA is provided by AGM batteries - Absorbed Glass Mat.
    If your battery is not an AGM, get one - Yuasa AGM batteries have a CCA of 210 and are very reliable. What CCA is your battery??

Lithium batteries also have a high CCA rating but they are still very controversial.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. No prob... If you want the relay to test your more than welcome

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information