1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Dtc And Bike Mods

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Bullitt, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I'm doing a lightweight project on my 1198SP, which as you know has traction control. At the same time, I'm putting some FG353 forks on and a 1098R rear sub-frame.

The forks are different to the FG811s that come standard on the SP, so the axle to caliper mount length is also different. As standard on the Desmo, a 12.5mm (it's 5mm on the SP) spacer is installed between the fork bottom and the caliper, but the Desmo doesn't have DTC.

I've managed to establish that 12.5mm will get the front wheel speed sensor within <1mm of the DTC pins on the brake rotor. Is that an okay distance? The picture shows the spacer distance set at 10mm and another 2.5mm should see it okay I think. I think the sensor is just a magnet that reads a inductance value...?

IMG_8347.jpg IMG_8348.jpg

I've replaced the cast-iron rear sub-frame on the SP with one from an R - very light. Obviously, there is no bracket on the frame as the R sensor is behind the bumstop. I did get a bracket from BSD which is designed for this unit and the Nemesis system.

The sensor is orientated in the same way, so I guess it should work ok..!! Will it? Or does it have to be set at a specific angle/position? I assume this is some kind of lazer gyro..

IMG_8371.JPG

Any tips or info would be welcomed.

TIA

2. @Bullitt Hi,

As you know, my 1098R also has FG353 forks installed by the previous owner/JHP. I can measure the spacer that has already been installed on my caliper mount on the RHS where the ABS sensor is located.

Also...I have the same subframe and a race seat unit...it already has the exact same bracket as you show in your picture for mounting the DTC sensor. Ahgain, this was already installed by the previous owner/JHP. I do not know how it was done but I can take some pics if you like?

Cheers,
    R

• Like Like x 2
  3. Are you using the standard seat unit or a race seat unit?

I bought my 1098R with a Nemesis traction control system fitted and a race seat unit, it had the same traction control unit bracket fitted as you have, but the standard road seat unit will not fit with this bracket as the ecu sits too high. I had to manufacture a bracket letting the ecu sit lower to refit the standard 1098R seat unit.

4. Ricky,

I completely forgot you had those mods done. Can you measure for me please if you have the time, perhaps take some pictures too? Yes, that would be perfect.

Thanks

5. Its a mono seat unit on the R frame. It fir fine with about 2in clearance from the DTC unit to the underside of the seat unit.

Road seat from the R will probably cause issues as the seat as a little recess behind the bumstop, where the DTC sensor is supposed to go. Is that what you mean?

6. Pretty much :upyeah:

7. Didn't get a chance last night to measure and take pics.
    Will do it on Saturday.
    R

8. @Bullitt
    Brake spacers.

RHS : 7.41mm
    LHS : 12.41mm

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. DTC mount
    image.jpg image.jpg

10. @RickyX

Many thanks mate - exactly what I was looking for. DTC should work a treat.

Cheers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information