1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Mathesis Tester

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by marc.w, Mar 4, 2013.

1. I was wondering if there is anyone on here who is familiar with Ducati's mathesis diagnostic tester? I know it will diagnose faults in your bike's systems including electrical & charging system, CDI/ECU, fuel injection system and injector timing, all sensors including fuel pressure, oil pressure, air intake pressure, RPM, water temp, oil temp, throttle position. Is it capable of doing anything else? there is a keypad on the tester with numbers all the letters of the alphabet on it, what are these for? I have only used it for diagnosing problems and for that purpose you only ever have to use the 5 main keys across the top.

2. Marc, You can also use them for cylinder compression tests, oil and fuel pressure measurement, timing belt tension, TPS setting, injection timing, absolute pressure sensor checking (you know about this one already), temp sensor testing, coil testing, reg/rec and charging system functionality, relay operation and other stuff as well. If you don't have a factory manual already, PM me and I will post you one (MY02 fully functional PDF) on a CD, it includes basic instructions for all of the relevant test functions using the Mathesis tester.

3. Thanks for the offer of a manual but I already have one.

Although I have the main tester kit which comes with quite a few of the leads I do not have the other 2 kits needed for checking timing belt tension and checking oil and fuel pressure. And trying to find them is near impossible especially at a reasonable price. It's just the keypad with all the letters and numbers is intriguing me, I've never been able to find out when you would use them.

4. The keypad was used very little if at all. Most of the options are simply selected and confirmed with results displayed. The mathesis was a generic tool branded up with ducati decals. The software on the memory card is what dedicates it to the bikes.

5. Thanks Nelly, It sounds like you are very familiar with this tester then, could you tell me that when I run a diagnostic test on the coils and injectors will it pick up all/most problems with these items or is it a case of it works or it does not work, just wondering how sophisticated the test is because I'm having a problem tracking down the cause of a poorly running 748 :-( Here's the thread about it.....

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/f41/748-air-pressure-sensor-8879/

6. The tester will only report on certain conditions like live short or earth short. You can also use the tester to look at "live" data being recieved by the ECU also, for instance air temp reading -30 and you're stood there in a t-shirt. Might not show an error but you know it's wrong. Check the reading you are getting from the air pressure sensor.
    You can also get errors flag up on certain components due to a circuit problem. Classic one is coil/injector errors on 749/999. Nothing wrong with them but it's a weak or failed ignition relay that's causing the error......
    The tester is a tool, it's useful, but by no means conclusive.
    I'll take a look at the other thread when I get 5

7. Thanks Nelly

8. I know this is an old thread but does anybody have a users manual for the mathesis tester ?
    Looking for a copy of it.
    Geoff

Do Not Sell My Personal Information