1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvt Multistrada Handling

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Mark_k, Nov 27, 2016.

1. I'll try and keep the story short but I am hoping some of you may be able to help me with a significant handling problem I have been experiencing with the DVT Multistrada.

I have owned four Multi's in all, two of the first MTS 1200 (base versions) and now two of the DVT versions. The first two were great and I completed a lot of mileage on them; but both DVT versions, with the revised headstock angle, seem to have a real handling issue at higher speeds.

I live in Singapore (where speed limits are low and strictly enforced) and tour all around Malaysia, Thailand and venture into places like Cambodia with like minded mates. Racking up the miles is easy, the scenery is fantastic, majority of the roads are in great shape, lots of curving twisties and on the freeways - let's just say on these roads speed limits are not too much of an issue.....

My first DVT Multi was the base model, great bike initially but once I had completed running it in and went over the border where I could really enjoy it, I was very disappointed. I found the throttle was flat with a response not unlike the early turbo-charged bikes (i.e., open the throttle count to five and off you go) which meant the only way to enjoy the twisties was to keep the motor bubbling away over 7,000 rpm whilst playing tunes on the gearbox. However the biggest problem was at speeds in excess of 140 KPH: the bike would start to "wobble" initially gently but would quickly lead to the bars actually "shaking". Faster I went worse it got, panniers on, panniers off, different tyres, pressures, suspension settings, two up, on my own did not matter.

Ducati in Singapore took a look at the bike on numerous occasions and eventually organised for the factory in Thailand to send an engineer down to Singapore. Unfortunately before that could happen, a friend of mine who is a mature and very well respected ex racer, took it for a spin to see if he could help me sort it out.

Regrettably the bike got into a huge tank slapper with the bars whipping from side to side so severely they sheared the frame stops and the bike went down. Ducati were pretty good, they rebuilt the bike with a new frame under warranty after which we did a road test (back in Malaysia of course) where I could take it up over 200 kph and it was as good as gold.

I still had a couple of other issues with the bike related to the poor throttle response which was never really fixed and I disliked the soft Showa suspension anyway so I traded it in against a Pike Peak.

The Ohlins transform the bike and the later model has improved throttle response (although these fly by wire throttles are still not as good as cables in my view). So this weekend, we had a track day up in Sepang for which I am lucky enough to own a Pierobon framed 1198SP that I built myself and a 2008 ZX10R. Now the Bike's fully run I decided to ride up to Sepang from Singapore on the Pikes Peak (panniers on) with the expectation of getting some speed on.

As soon as I hit 155 kph the bike started wobbling just like the other one, faster I went worse it got; the road surface made no difference and there as no single thing (other than the speed) which set the Bike off. So its going back to the dealer tomorrow for investigation - apparently there's some sensitivity with the engine mounting bolt torquing process so they'll repeat that first.

I appreciate speed limits in the UK are prohibitive and it's possibly difficult for these issues to rear their head on European bikes given the strict enforcement of speed limits - but I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced any high speed handling issues with their DVT Multistradas and what you may have done to resolve it.

2. Welcome Dave :)

3. welcome. Sounds like a bad experience.

I have had mine north of 135mph with a top box on and it got a little sensitive. I have had it nearly flat out on too and it was fine. However, when on track with undulating and bumpy tarmac and very hard acceleration (Oulton Park going up the hill and last turn onto the straight) it would get very 'lively'. DVT S model.

But TBH nothing that causes me any concern at all. I've ridden other bikes that have been just as bad and worse in similar conditions, especially big wide bars.

4. It's a big bike, catches a lot of wind & with paniers will definitely cause a nasty wobble at high speed. If the weight isn't symmetrical from side to side then that increase the likelyhood of a speed wobble happening. You really shouldn't be trying to power through a speed wobble imho. My enduro is fine without panniers all the way up to 140mph so far but with panniers triple figures is dangerous as the handle bars gyrate.

5. And every manufacturer will tell you max 80mph ish (130KMH is) with panniers/top box anyway

6. I have 2014 touring s I get a weave at over 70 only when I get behind in the slip stream if a car it goes when I pass

7. My twin spark 2013 pp feels flighty at speeds above 130 as did my previous 1st gen,i posted on here a few years ago about it,general consensus at the time was front beak acting like a sail so front end went light,made sense at the time.

8. Welcome anyhoo :upyeah:

9. Thanks for the all the input and welcomes. I will update the thread if the dealer's frame re-torque exercise does the trick.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information