1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Erratic Idle High Altitude

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by hawkster, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Has anyone had a problem with the new map (Sept 2016) with the idle fluctuation? I am traveling with higher altitudes of 4500-6000 ft. When hot and at a standstill the idle varies 1k to 1.5k rpm. Bike temps read about 200 degrees. The bike has also stalled on me twice at lower altitude before fully warm. No biggie but with old map never did that. But when under throttle all seems ok. This has happened using three tanks of gas also so not bad gas. When idle varies it does not stall you just think it might??

2. I've been riding in the Alps all this week, at altitudes of up to 8000 feet, and to be honest my 2015 DVT ( last serviced / updated in Aug 16) has run sweet and without a hitch all trip. Gotta say that after reading some posts, I was a little nervous about how it would fare, but as I say, the bike has not missed a beat, and with having great weather all week (25c every day) it been a great trip. Bike shuttle back home on weds....
    Not 'techy' enough to comment on the mapping I'm afraid, so not sure if anything I said above helps !

3. Mine has had an uneven idle for a while now, the dealer had it in for some other work (gear position indicator switch) and it was fine for a while when I first rode it but it's rising and falling again now (at sea level in London traffic).

4. Had to bump start my Panigale at the top of the Stelvio Pass a couple of years ago..just wouldn't fire up at that altitude

5. My bike is stock except duc ee. I'm going to check flap in exhaust when acting up at idle.

6. Hi. I have the same issue with the idle. It has been "fixed" once - but having been on a euro trip too - I've noticed it coming back. Took a video of it at the euro tunnel so I could show my dealer - will YouTube it and link to this thread. No idea whether it's a problem, an annoyance, or just natural.

Edit: vid

#6 OlWhittyOne, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  7. my bike has always had the erratic idle , doesn't affect the bike in any way when I am riding it
    I meant to ask the dealer about it last week but I forgot.
    It still does it now .

8. Back to lower altitude. Whereas higher up the idle was always erratic (175+) on the temp gauge, now it is both ok, mildly erratic, to the same as high elevation, wildly erratic with 1000 to 1500 rpm. Going into shop today to have a look as I am still under warranty.

9. Hilarious. My shop contacted ducati and ducati says"we've only seen one other bike like that and it's in the UK"! Anyway dealer trying to make sure ducati will warranty the repair, whatever it is. So this weekend I take my Honda 250 to the mountains instead of the mutley. It'll be fun and do some off road also. I'll pick up the duc in November.

10. What's the fix?

11. Not fixed. My shop won't work on it until ducati authorizes a warranty claim. They only verified the problem. I will post the fix whenever it gets done.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ok, got back from traveling. Ducati says disconnect duc ee, ride 50 miles so computer can relearn itself, and see how it idles. So far it's ok without duc ee at idle. I need to put on a few more miles before I'm convinced.

13. I am having the exact issue with my 2016 Ducati Monster 1200 r. I have a video to upload but it's exactly like your video. Did your fix solve the problem? if so could you give a little input how best to disconnect the DUC ee? I appreciate any help. Thank you

14. The Duc ee is an aftermarket part that keeps the exhaust flap open, not a Ducati item so they wanted it disconnected. That was last November and the bike sat for January and February this year. But I've actually put some miles on having a mildly erratic throttle. Not bad enough for me to go to dealer.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information