1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting New Progrip Grips Help

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by duc996bp, Feb 12, 2017.

1. I'm after some help please, fitting some new 717 progrip grips to my 996. Removed the old grips and
    now ready to install the new. On the throttle side, on the tube end, is a raised edge (see photo), I have never installed new ones before but that edge looks like a real pain to slide the new grip over. I have got some none adhesive fitting spray so this wil help.

20170212_153836.jpg

2. Soak the grip in hot water first to soften it. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. and use the fitting spray? No need to cut that edge off?

4. I fitted progrips to mine and can't remember having to trim that lip off.
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. hot water as mentioned above and just pull it over.. I use my daughter hair spray to fix the grips in place.. works wonders lol

6. I'm not a fan of using fitting sprays although I have used washing up liquid in the past. You need the grip to do exactly that, why would you add a lubricant ? Like Steve, I've never had to modify the throttle tube. Hope this helps. Andy

7. Thanks Gents, in the end the throttle side was easy and the LH side was a right PITA, I would have never of got it on without using compressed air.

• Like Like x 1
  8. A splash of petrol down the tube also helps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Errm - how do you actually use "compressed air"?

10. The progrips I was installing were very hard to install on the clutch side, using the nozzle from a compressor into the end inflates the grip slightly and made the job so easy. The grips otherwise are a very tight fit.

Long video but explains.

11. Helpful thread :upyeah: I use Domino grips on mine and really struggled on my GSXR (but I think this was because I used renthal grip glue and this sets very very quickly... so when it goes off they aren't going anywhere!!) may try the hot water method when I put some on the 1098...

12. I used hairspray on the 899, was very easy. IMG_8333.JPG

13. After years of fitting golf club grips I have found that a good swill around the inside of the grip with white spirit does the job nicely.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Thanks for posting that video link - at least I know what to do with the compressed air, not that I have a compressor in my garage! Guess I'll have to try one of the other methods suggested.

15. Warm grips in hot water and lubricate the inside of the grip with Isopropyl Alcohol just before fitting, use one that is 99.9% to avoid any greasy additives. This will make fitting very easy & the alcohol will completely evaporate within a few hours and you do not need to use adhesive.

#16 tim1664, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I used water and washing up liquid on mountain bike grips once - big mistake...

It worked well for getting the grips on and stuck well when it dried out but once it rained and got wet again, the washing up liquid stopped them gripping the bars.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information